Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Forgotten Summer by Carol Drinkwater

(40 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 15-Feb-16 16:44:42

With Mother's Day fast approaching, we've organised a book giveaway you can share.

We're giving away 100 copies of The Forgotten Summer to 50 lucky readers - one for you, and one for your mum. Go to the giveaway page to apply for your free copies now and share the joy of reading on 6 March.

If you're lucky enough to receive a free copy, we'd love to hear what you and your mum thought about the book, but you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion.

Anyone who has read The Forgotten Summer can also post their feedback on the thread. All who post feedback before 4 April will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

Don't worry if you haven't finished reading. Feel free to drop in at whatever point you've got up to and give your fellow readers your first impressions about the story, characters, writing style.

This giveaway is sponsored by Michael Joseph

Susangilley7 Tue 01-Mar-16 09:01:53

Missed this giveaway. Would have loved to review it.

redalertalpha Fri 04-Mar-16 15:13:48

My mum & I have just received our gorgeous hardback copies we won, can't wait to get reading thank you Mumsnet Books

IkeaTetris Fri 04-Mar-16 15:16:32

Received my 2 books today, thank you very much smile Have started reading mine already and my Mum will get hers on Sunday. Looking forward to giving feedback on the book. Is there a separate thread with questions to answer or do I review it here?

Babyboggle Fri 04-Mar-16 20:16:26

Received ours today thanks so much it's a whopper! It's the first book I'm attempting since pregnant! Wish me luck!

EMCCRUBB Mon 07-Mar-16 11:29:05

RECEIVED MY LOVELY BOOK TODAY THANKS SO MUCH

UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Mar-16 14:57:41

Hi IkeaTetris, you can leave your feedback on the book here on this thread. We'd love to hear your mum's feedback too!

cookiemonster66 Mon 07-Mar-16 15:21:52

Mum was absolutely thrilled with her book so many thanks for that, now we can both read it and compare notes, give us something to chat about over a cuppa! Only just started it, and its looking good so far, cannot wait to finish it!

antheaholloway Mon 07-Mar-16 16:36:11

I have started reading The Forgotten Summer by Carol Drinkwater and find it interesting as we have spent many weeks in the south of France, in Provence and know the area quite well. There are not so many characters so that one gets confused with who they all are but there is an interesting mix from domineering matriarchal types to reticent and shy people and various nationalities too. I won't give anything away but I can see where it is going. The harvesting of the grapes is very interesting too.

laineyface Mon 07-Mar-16 19:22:15

I sat by the fire reading this book and loved the way I was transported to the sunny vineyards of Southern France. Just need a glass of wine to go with it!

Lariflete Mon 07-Mar-16 19:28:22

I've started reading The Forgotten Summer, as has my mum. We both started on Mother's Day.
I enjoyed the parts at the beginning about grape picking in France (and the caricatures of the English couple, who never miss vendange!)
Mum has travelled quite a lot in France and likes the descriptions of Provence.
I'm not enthralled by the story however; I wish we could find out what happened when the DIL was 14. I may enjoy it more as I get further in and will be back to update.

blogmumjd Tue 08-Mar-16 04:57:22

Received my 2 books on Friday and have started reading mine. Loving it. Not seen my mum yet to give her copy to her

JS06 Tue 08-Mar-16 07:45:42

I'm enjoying this, I'm not seeing my Mum for a little while and will pass on her copy then.

I'm particularly liking the descriptive text at the start of the book setting the scene about the characters. I'm enjoying the fact that there's not too much to remember at the moment in terms of huge numbers of people as well. I really like the tickling of the senses when describing food, colours, the local scenery, the time of day. The story is rolling out nicely and 'I'm in!'. I'll check back in when I'm a bit further through.

RussellB Tue 08-Mar-16 09:25:23

Thanks very much for the 2 copies. We're having a race to see who finishes it first!

ahigney Tue 08-Mar-16 09:53:34

Received my two beautiful copies on Saturday.So happy to share one with my mother in law,who was delighted to get it for Mother's Day.We will both read it and compare our notes.She is a keen reader like me,lying in bath and reading being her favourite past time.N wonder why my other half chose me then!!

Mrstross Wed 09-Mar-16 07:59:17

Just started the book and have found it difficult to get into at the minute. I'll keep going with it though and will update when I'm further in

Pamaga Wed 09-Mar-16 13:14:59

Just to confirm I have received this but have not got round to reading it yet as I am presently halfway through another novel. Not sure it is going to be my sort of thing but prepared to keep an open mind and give it a go, especially as my DD's partner is from Provence!

RussellB Thu 10-Mar-16 15:53:17

A lovely book packed with the sunshine and flavours of the south of France. Plenty of page-turning drama with excellent descriptions of Paris and Provence, enough to make you want to book a trip.

Lariflete Sat 12-Mar-16 23:12:47

I finished this book last night and I liked the ending.
The descriptive text was amazing and the book was well written. I just thought that the plot could have moved along more quickly if certain 'facts' had come out earlier instead of being hinted at, then coming out, then the truth.
There were also a couple of points that seemed as though they were endings for the book but it then continued.
Overall it was a good read and the author's descriptions were very powerful - it really felt as though you could see and smell the scene.

Pigeonpea Sun 13-Mar-16 09:54:01

Easy read book - great pace and very easy to immerse yourself into
The story covered a wide aspect of areas - health, lies, lifestyle, new beginnings.......
The twist was well delivered and kept you guessing for some time
I'd recommend this as a great summer read - in the garden, on the balcony, on the beach, you'll soon be transported

Persistentdonor Sun 13-Mar-16 14:02:57

I have certainly enjoyed this book and found the descriptive style most evocative. The plot was interesting and at times the book felt like a "thriller", but once I found out what happened the summer Jane was 14, I worked out for myself where it was all leading.

I would certainly recommend this novel to anyone, especially those who hanker for the south or France and the wine/olive growing regions.

My only minor criticism is that the Epilogue, (at the end,) was surely the Prologue and perhaps should have been at the front, or woven into the telling of the tale..... but then I have never written a book and there may be a very good reason why it was done that way.

Pamaga Tue 15-Mar-16 14:57:37

Mmmm, sorry but I did not enjoy this at all. The writing style really was atrocious: I was reminded of Miss Babs in Victoria Wood's Acorn Antiques and, once I got this character in my head, I heard her voice constantly in the narrative. I am quite surprised this novel was published by a reputable company because I found it pure 'Mills and Boon'. Hate being negative about a 'gift' but no point in pretending to find anything positive to say!

blogmumjd Wed 16-Mar-16 14:40:15

Loved it. This has been my best read of 2016. My thoughts are on my blog here blogmumjd.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/mumsnet-book-club-review-the-forgotten-summer-by-carol-drinkwater/

Cerealchanger Thu 17-Mar-16 08:54:58

I enjoyed this book. The writing was a bit flowery at first and I worked out the twist early on but overall it was enjoyable and is ideal for some light summer holiday reading. It's not going to change the world or your life but there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Wizotto Fri 18-Mar-16 19:31:40

Many thanks to MNHQ. I gave the other copy to my MIL as my DM is not a reader. I didn't really warm to the book. I found a lot of the storyline quite contrived and unconvincing. I also struggled to get back into the story the next time I picked up the book. I did enjoy some of it, but not enough to try another one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now