Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Ask SHARON GUSKIN - author of THE FORGETTING TIME - a question now! Post yours by Wednesday 27 July

(147 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-16 12:12:24

Our featured debut author this week is Sharon Guskin. Her book The Forgetting Time, tells the story of Noah, who struggles to forget the life he believes he's lived before. Driven to desperation and reluctant to medicate her son, his mother Janie visits a psychiatrist who can provide some answers but not necessarily the ones Janie's ready to hear.

Pan Macmillan asked us to find a huge 190 Mumsnetters to read The Forgetting Time and tell us what they think about it on this discussion thread. Go to the giveaway page to find out more and apply for a free copy.

You don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read The Forgetting Time can post their feedback here.

As so many of you enjoyed The Forgetting Time, Pan Macmillan have asked you for any questions you'd like to put to author Sharon Guskin. The best questions will be answered by Sharon on film. Post yours on this thread by Wednesday 27 July

This giveaway is sponsored by Pan Macmillan

redalertalpha Sun 21-Feb-16 07:29:24

Looking forward to reading this when my copy arrives, sounds brilliant

PSG1968 Mon 22-Feb-16 13:43:18

Received email to say i have won a copy yay!!! Many thanks looking forward to receiving reading & reviewing!

coffeeisnectar Tue 23-Feb-16 13:54:58

I didn't get an email so delighted to have this delivered just now. Can't wait to read it. Thanks mumsnet.

sheiladore1 Tue 23-Feb-16 15:53:43

Many thanks for my copy.im looking forward to reading it

AnonymousBird Wed 24-Feb-16 08:38:03

Mine has arrived! It's second in line behind one I need to read to get back to the library and I am really looking forward to it. Thank you.

0ryx Wed 24-Feb-16 09:46:27

Mine arrived! It's sitting on the table waiting for me to finish my essay.

ScarlettDarling Wed 24-Feb-16 11:38:18

My book just arrived, many thanks. I'll read it as soon as I finish my current book and will be back to review soon.

Looking forward to reading a real book instead of on my kindle!!

SabsFabulous Wed 24-Feb-16 18:14:01

I received my copy today. Like oryx will start reading it once I've submitted my essay which is due next Friday

Clarebear8 Thu 25-Feb-16 09:49:16

My copy arrived yesterday and is unputdownable! My own son, Joe, as a toddler used to spook me by occasionally asking about 'his other mother' so was particularly drawn to this story.
Sharon Guskin's writing is beautiful, lyrical and haunting. A book that will stay with me for a long time

PSG1968 Thu 25-Feb-16 14:51:01

Copy arrived and i started it last night i have to say it grabbed my attention from page one so looks like its gonna be a goodun!!!

poupee Fri 26-Feb-16 12:48:07

I've just started reading it, am glad it arrived when it did as I had just finished another really good book. So far I am really enjoying the story, I plan to read it on my commute so should finish by the end of next week.

PSG1968 Fri 26-Feb-16 17:51:39

How is everyone getting on with this book?
Im really enjoying it so far on page 127 and im finding it a real page turner so far smile

scrivette Fri 26-Feb-16 21:31:17

I have just finished it! I was ill yesterday so spent a lot of time in bed and feeding the baby and so got lots of reading done.

I really enjoyed it, I won't give anything away, I will wait until more people have finished.

It has made me want to look into children recalling past lives so am off to Google now!

clux73 Sat 27-Feb-16 19:23:08

I'm halfway through and loving it. I wasn't sure what to expect from the "blurb" but it's a really interesting concept. Will post again when I've finished it

whitestephens16 Sat 27-Feb-16 20:46:13

Received my copy, thanks and read it this week.
It was ok, is all I can say, I think you have to be naturally pre-disposed to accept the central premise and I'm not. For me it took too long to draw the two central adult characters together, the one night stand on the beach was cliched and the incessant use of similes as descriptive technique really irritated me, the word 'like' was the most over used in the book.
Not a bad holiday read if you have a long haul flight or a week by a pool.

ummlilia Sun 28-Feb-16 16:53:48

I finished the book this morning. I'd say I enjoyed it in sofar as it kept me reading to the end , although I thought it was fairly obvious how the story was going to pan out from early on . I found the Doctor's story more interesting than that of the child, maybe because I am not a believer in the central premise of the book.

shaktar Sun 28-Feb-16 20:20:51

A strange one - I enjoyed reading the book and found it thought provoking however I would never read it again and wouldn't recommend it!
I did find that I stayed up far too late reading it - I found it compulsive reading for the first 1/3 of the book and still enjoyed the rest of it but I didn't feel I ever really got beneath the surface of any of the characters.
In my levels of book classification it's one to borrow from the library but not to keep on your shelves..

coffeeisnectar Sun 28-Feb-16 23:36:22

I'm struggling to get into it. I read a lot of books, and although I'm a fair few chapters in, I've had to shelve it because I'm just not engaging with any of the characters at all. I like to give books a fair go but none of the characters are invoking anything in me at all and I'm finding it difficult to care about what happens to them.

I will try and pick it up again at some point but for me, if it's not gripping me at this point then I will look for something else.

saracutter Mon 29-Feb-16 11:42:09

I received my copy the other day, and have read a few chapters straight away. I have to say that at the moment I am really into it - finding it interesting and want to keep reading it! Will post again when I have read more!

over40andmumtoone Mon 29-Feb-16 14:49:23

Finished this book last night and I loved it. It was thought provoking and heart breaking in equal measures. I would have liked more of a story around the Doctor but otherwise I did engage with the characters. What would I have done and felt like in Janie's position. I'd like to believe in reincarnation but I'd hope that there were happier souls involved, not just those involved in trauma. I liked the way the story concluded, it didn't feel rushed and was believable. I'd certainly recommend it as a good holiday book.

SciFiFan Mon 29-Feb-16 17:55:12

I'm still early days with this one but I'm struggling to connect with the main character Janie. I'm finding her a bit unlike able. However, I'm sticking with it and will give more comments as I get further into it. I'm hoping Noah's story will pull me in further.

MummyBtothree Tue 01-Mar-16 16:49:55

Thanks for my copy of the book smile ive read the first few pages but currently got another book on the go, although nearly finished that so can't wait to read this properly.

PSG1968 Tue 01-Mar-16 17:01:04

Finished book today and i really did enjoy it i like others stayed up far to late last night reading it! I liked the storyline and the characters were interesting although i have to agree that Janie wasn't the most endearing.
Although i am open minded, its not necessarily my belief however it still was a page turner and the right length i would recommend it with out giving anything away i thought the ending well thought out and fitting.

redalertalpha Tue 01-Mar-16 20:06:46

Just what I need in a book; powerful, thought-provoking, spiritual and impossible to put down. An absolutely breathtaking book full of emotional intrigue and stunning revelations about a boy called Noah who just wants to go home, the problem being he's already there.
It takes you on a journey with his Mum, Janie, and Anderson, a psychologist battling his own problems whilst trying to help them unearth the truth behind Noah's recurring nightmares and vivid but baffling memories. The answers have far-reaching consequences for all involved.
A must-read book beautifully written with a haunting story that I found too gripping to put down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now