Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Strictly Between Us by Jane Fallon

(55 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Jan-16 16:20:55

Best friends Tamsin and Michelle have been inseparable since childhood but when a rumour involving Michelle's husband comes to light, the two friends become entwined in an intricate web of lies...

Penguin Books have asked us to find 50 Mumsnetters to read Strictly Between Us and tell us what they think about it on this discussion thread. Go to the giveaway page to find out more and apply for a free copy.

You don’t have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion. Anyone who has read Strictly Between Us can post their feedback here, and all who post before 29th February will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love to Shop voucher.

Don't worry if you haven’t finished reading. Feel free to drop in at whatever point you've got up to and give your fellow readers your first impressions about the story, characters, writing style.

This giveaway is sponsored by Penguin Books

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 11-Jan-16 18:27:28

I really enjoyed Jane's previous books, Getting Rid of Matthew being a particular favourite. Really good fun.
Have applied for this one. Fingers x

MaliaGrace Mon 11-Jan-16 18:33:59

I've just finished Got you back which I really enjoyed. This book giveway is brilliant timing

FellOutOfBedTwice Mon 11-Jan-16 18:45:57

Just entered. Have really enjoyed all of her previous books.

lorka Tue 26-Jan-16 14:18:22

I have only read the first couple of chapters but I'm really enjoying it and I'm looking forward to finding out more about the characters. smile

skwerlene Tue 26-Jan-16 14:20:17

Thanks for the book. I haven't read any of Jane Fallon's books before. So far, I'm on page 95 and it's going quickly, I like it. I am starting to wonder what's really going on with the main characters, and thinking that one of the minor ones is perhaps more of a key character later on...no spoilers

littleandbig Tue 26-Jan-16 14:26:11

I was so baffled as to why this fell through my letterbox - I think I must've forgotten but it was such a lovely surprise and I can't wait to read it. It's definitely a book I would pick up in a store so I'm excited for this one!!grin

SnapCackleFlop Tue 26-Jan-16 14:28:57

I was really delighted to be given a copy of this book to review. I'm about a quarter of the way through at the moment.

It feels a bit like a Channel 5 movie - in some ways it's a bit cringe worthy but I'm strangely compelled to keep reading and it would be a lie to say I want' enjoying it.

I'll post back when I've finished.

ninnytendo Tue 26-Jan-16 14:32:00

Thank you very much for my copy of the book. I have not read any of Jane Fallon’s books so I can’t compare to any of her previous work. I have read 150 pages already and I’m really enjoying it. I like the language and style of the book, it feels like my best friend is telling me a story and it made me laugh in places. It is perfect for my commuting into work, very upbeat and relatable too. I can’t wait to find out what happens in the end!

mummyhappiness Tue 26-Jan-16 14:33:16

Delighted to have won a copy of this book. I haven't read any of jane fallons books before. I'm not finished yet but getting through it quickly. It's a bit of a page turner 😉

HollyJollyDillydolly Tue 26-Jan-16 14:36:15

This is my first Jane Fallon book, I'm glad Ive had the chance to read her book as I'm really enjoying it so far. It's very easy to read and I don't think it'll be long until I've read it all. I'll keep a look out by other titles by Jane.

ireadnovels Tue 26-Jan-16 15:17:21

I am proud of our UK writer Jane Fallon. I love Jane Fallon's books so much. I wanted to read Strictly Between Us because I enjoyed reading Foursome and Skeletons. About Strictly Between Us. All in a days work people are spreading gossip, keeping secrets and telling lies that P45's should be issued out. Just loved it all. I am looking forward to Jane Fallon's next novel so much.

MooseyMoo Tue 26-Jan-16 15:53:32

Very happy to win a book. I'm only on page 46 but really enjoying it so far. I like the style of narration and am intrigued by the plot line. Will post again when I've finished

2006greendragon Wed 27-Jan-16 07:38:55

I haven't read any Jane Fallon before but thoroughly enjoyed Strictly Between Us. It's a quick read, nothing too taxing, and very funny in parts. The main character's description of herself and friends around the table on page 34 made me laugh out loud. As did the description of her date's requirements in a woman on page 115. I liked the telling of the story from different perspectives. The only downside was that I found it a bit predictable in parts. Other than that, an enjoyable read for a wet and windy weekend.

stormhorse Wed 27-Jan-16 12:48:58

Quite an amusing (in places, the way the author has written the interaction between the main characters)

It’s a decent novel, it flows and you care about the characters as they are all fleshed out well.

Not the sort of novel I prefer as do like thrillers or fantasy but I found to my surprise that I did quite enjoy this book.

Well written & well worth a read.

BearAusten Thu 28-Jan-16 14:20:07

Somewhat implausible, but an amusing, easy read. It filled the time waiting for a plumber to fix a problem with the boiler.

My main problem with it probably centres around my inability to like or relate in any way to the characters. However, it is slightly different from the average chick lit novel. A little darker. Worth taking a chance on.

annbwinters Fri 29-Jan-16 20:24:42

I recently finished reading a book by Jane Fallon, “Strictly between us”, which was sent to me by Penguin Random House. By the way, thank you so much Penguin books! It was the very first time I ever read Jane Fallon and I was overall pleased with her story telling.
This was a really easy novel to read.
The novel is funny, lighthearted and if you are looking for an weekend (or afternoon) easy read I definitely recommend it.

MissBattleaxe Fri 29-Jan-16 20:28:05

I love Jane Fallen. Pick me! Pick me!

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 29-Jan-16 20:51:36

This book was easy to read and I enjoyed it. I have read a lot of thrillers lately and it was nice to have a break. It was chick lit but that's no bad thing.

chelle87 Sun 31-Jan-16 08:18:30

I'm less than halfway through and have never read a Jane fallon before. But I'm really enjoying it, it's keeping me page turning and is a nice easy read. I sort of guessed where it was going up to now but I look forward to seeing how It turns out. It's exactly my type of read. I like the main character and I've laughed out loud a couple of times, always a winner. I'll post again when I've finished but so far so good....

midi1975 Sun 31-Jan-16 21:21:46

A chatty, easy to read novel. I read it through in one 3 hour train journey. It was a great companion. A great read if you like gossipy books.

Indiaplain Mon 01-Feb-16 12:03:28

I wasn't sure I was going to like this to begin with as the story seemed a bit unlikely and it seemed a bit too chick lit-y.

However it has good reviews so I kept going and glad I did as it doesn't seem as predictable as some similar books and I kind of like the fact some characters are a bit challenging. Not finished it yet but will post a full review when I have.

MooseyMoo Mon 01-Feb-16 12:45:57

Finished yesterday and really enjoyed the book. I found the plot line interesting and thought it was going to be predictable chic lit but was pleasantly surprised. It's an easy/quick read so highly recommended for holiday reading.

NotAllItsCrackedUpToBe Mon 01-Feb-16 21:58:06

Just received the book on Saturday, thank you. Looks like it will be an easy read so shelving the other book I was reading to give this a go. Will report back soon.

madcapped Mon 01-Feb-16 22:28:49

Just started reading it! Will report back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now