Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

iBook giveaway: Twit by Steve Cole

(10 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-Jul-15 12:20:23

We're giving away 50 touch and listen iBook downloads, perfect for any tech-obsessed child who's learning to read.

Read, watch and listen to Twit - the story of a raggedy little owl whose big brothers love to play tricks on him.

Press on pictures to make them move and use the read aloud function to hear the story plus sound effects that bring it to life. Click here to find out more and apply for a free download.*

If you're lucky enough to win a free download, Orion would love to hear your feedback on the following aspects:

1. Did the iBook encourage your DC to read?
2. What did you DC think about it? Was it fun to use?
3. Do you think you might try another iBook with your DC, or are standard books just as good?

* To view this book you must have an iPad with iBooks 2 or later and iOS 5 or later, or an iPhone with iOS 8.4 or later, or a Mac with OS X 10.9 or later.

This giveaway is sponsored by Orion Children's Books

Danso Wed 05-Aug-15 21:54:47

All three of my children (2, 5 and 7) really enjoyed this iBook. The 2 year old was very amused by the moving pictures in the book. The 5 year old who learned to read over the past school year thought the iBook was great. She finished the book in two reading sessions. After she read the page to me, she then used the 'voice' of the book to read the page to her and she also loved the moving pictures, adding so much more excitement to the book. The 7 year old read the book within 15 minutes. She enjoyed the iBook as well and thought it was a nice change from a 'normal' book, asking her opinion, she said the pictures were good, the movement was good and the sound was great!
Both 5 and 7 year old are used to reading books on the computer with the option of a voice telling the story, but the moving pictures are definitely a plus as they couldn't wait to read the whole book to see every moving picture and they were all very keen to re-read the iBook.
If not too expensive we will definitely try another iBook.
I was picked my MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

nushcar Fri 07-Aug-15 23:01:09

I read to my 2 and 4 year old and they were very excited by this much feted iPad book as it was the first time they had a bedtime story this way. My two year old called it a game! They got excited about taking it in turns to swipe the page or press the buttons to see the pictures move. It was a bit trickier for them to press the voice activating arrows correctly each time to get the narration, but that was good to help focus their attention. My 4 year old managed this better than the two year old.

I think the story was funny, a good length and on a topic that was close to their heart (sibling teasing/rivalry). In some ways, having all these button to press and activity can take focus away from task of reading for my 4 year old who is in process of learning to read/ basic reader. However, if she was equally left alone with iPad, she could press arrows and hear the narrator voice the sentence and follow the words herself. There is enough repetition of words and simplicity of language in story and it is usefully split into small chapters to make it a good book to learn to read with.

They loved it for the novelty element, the fact they could interact and press buttons and repeatedly hear the word 'Twit'! I must admit I was quite taken by the story and, even though my son was looking tired the first night we read it, ploughed through all 5 chapters, as I had to know the end!

3. Do you think you might try another iBook with your DC, or are standard books just as good?

Definitely, is great for holidays, waiting rooms etc when, these days, you always seem to have iPad to hand, if nothing else to keep them amused.

I was picked my MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

Insertwitticismhere Sun 09-Aug-15 23:41:39

This book has charm. My daughter is only 5 months but was entertained by the animations. My niece is 2 and enjoyed the 'iPad reading the story’ , I found myself very much surplus to requirements!

The animations are lovely and do add to the enjoyment of the story. Our favourite was the bug party smile

As an entertainment/distraction tool this is great and I would much prefer my daughter to looking at this type of iBook than playing games on the iPad. For that reason I would look at other iBooks for her. For bedtime stories and reading at home I think we'll be sticking with 'standard' books partly because they require a child/parent to use their own imagination, inventing voices, describing how something might look etc. For me that's part of the joy of reading.

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

hippychick42 Mon 10-Aug-15 10:25:53

My 4 year old son has already used iBooks a few times and loves ones which are interactive and that he can control on his own! Therefore, he loved this iBook about the little owl who was not wise, although we had to read it in two parts, as it was quite long. The animations were great and my son loved being able to click on the buttons to have it read to him and to see the animations. My only criticism is the size of the play button for the read aloud function - we were using an iPad Mini and he really struggled to press it, so did I! Therefore, a bigger play button would be good. Apart from that it was a great story and I am sure one my son will want to read again and again.

lob12 Mon 10-Aug-15 11:37:21

My daughter is 3.5yrs old so cannot read yet.
My DD loved pressing the arrows and the play buttons. She likes my ipad and normally reads cbeebies story time so this was very fun for her.
This was the first ibook I have for my daughter. I love books and think they are brilliant so don't want to do away with paper books all together but this iBook was very good and will definitely be trying another one.

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book, which I received for free. This review is in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

Sukistaxi Thu 13-Aug-15 22:20:26

The children (3 and 6) were excited to try the new book.

However, while the children seemed to enjoy the book, I had a hard time keep my child's attention with the story. I Think this was a combination of the layout of the book, and the story itself.

The book is layed out with two story pages on the screen, split down the center just like an actual book. This meant there were two separate 'play' buttons, one for each half of the screen, and two separate animation buttons. While my eldest was able to figure it out quickly, the younger daughter, who usually has no problem using e-books found it difficult to figure out which button to push, resulting in either missing pages or going in the wrong order. There should realistically be just one page, one play button. There also shouldn't be a need for a animation button as the children would figure out to simply just push the picture to get an animation.

As far as the animations, the youngest enjoyed them, but she also enjoys doing-ing the spring that is behind the door. The eldest however, gave up on the animations as they really weren't worth doing. A wing flap here, a flutter there, some random disjointed sound clip here.

The story was a bit long for the youngest but with a little coaxing, she stuck it through. The eldest breezed through it and seemed to enjoy it, but when asked later what she thought of it, all I got was a 'it was okay'. My personal opinion is that the subject matter was a bit awkward as teaching a child to get a revenge on an older sibling is by humiliating them, isn't something I would willingly choose to teach my kids. Impressionable children may take this to heart. A younger sibling may incorporate the idea of being bullied by older siblings into their worldview, even if completely inaccurate, because they just read a book about how that is what older siblings do.

If I had to base my decision on just this one story with no knowledge of any other books offered, I probably wouldn't continue with the service. But as I was able to look at a few covers of the other books that were offered, I got a sense that this might have just been a miss.

I usually do sit with my kids as they read and will do book programs with them as we can share that moment, but as modern times dictates, realistically I can't always be there to walk my kids through complex book layouts. So, the problem with the layout would be a big stopper. If this was fixed and it was one page on the screen at a time, I would consider the trying the service longer.

Overall, I give it a 5 out of 10. Straight up average. Not the greatest thing I have used, but definitely not the worst. The kids sorta enjoyed it for a while, but I don't see either of them sticking with it long term and probably moving onto easier services.

purplepandas Tue 18-Aug-15 20:50:46

Yes, DD age 5 loved it. She can read already but it encouraged her even more. DD age 3 can't read but loved the book.

They both loved it. Really enjoyed the story and also the animations. They had great fun with the interactive bits and bobs.

We do love a 'standard' book and I would not swap standard books for iBooks. However, I would be tempted to try more iBooks. I think that a mix of both is good smile

Thanks for letting us try this.

lottietiger Tue 15-Sep-15 10:31:38

Did the iBook encourage your DC to read?

at two and a half he is too young to read but it is a really good learning aid.
He really liked it, he thought it was fun and liked the owl. he would probably need to be a year older to get the best use of it.
I would but only for travelling. We used it on a recent plane journey and it went down well as a treat as I like to keep DS off the I pad as much as possible. DS loves paper books so we wouldn't be swapping for I books totally.

mimolette Fri 25-Sep-15 17:33:06

The book was good, my 4 year old DD enjoyed it and I like the idea of an interactive story book on the iPad. But the software was very clunky to use, once we downloaded the app it was not straightforward to download the book and it was not easy to go back to it to read again. So for that reason I would not buy more books for this app. It was also a bit complex for DD to know what to press and when to navigate through the story.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now