Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: Shame by Melanie Finn

(17 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Apr-15 11:29:47

Redemption is a foreign country - or so Pilgrim Jones hopes as she looks up at a departures board and takes the first flight away from the carnage of her present circumstances. She alights on the edge of Africa where beauty and chaos go hand in hand, here somehow a fresh start seems possible. But can she come to terms with her past before the it catches up with her?

Shame is the new novel by Melanie Finn and we're giving away 50 copies this week, click here to find out more and apply for a free copy. Don't forget, if you're lucky enough to receive a free book, we do ask that you tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our Book reviews section.

This giveaway is sponsored by Orion Books.

ScarlettDarling Mon 27-Apr-15 20:47:35

Done! Sounds good

Garton Tue 28-Apr-15 06:57:02

not what I usually read but sounds interesting

DreamToSleep Thu 28-May-15 23:02:22

thank you for my copy of this book, I have just finished reading it.

This isn't normally what I would pick up to read. Initially I wasn't sure if i was going to like it, I found the first few chapters hard going but then I was hooked. it really is beautifully written, with fantastic imagery of Africa. I like the way the chapters are separated into different countries, and people and the story is woven well between them all. Reading the blurb on the back of the book the word 'haunting' comes up, I think that's a perfect word to sum it up. I think Melanie Finn captured the torment, guilt and shame from Pilgrim and I will keep an eye out for this author in the future.

Thislittlekitten Fri 29-May-15 01:12:51

I've just finished shame tonight.
Like the above poster I found it hard to get into in the first chapters but it goes on to be a really enjoyable and interesting read.

I did feel it could have done with less at the start and more of when she was in Tanga.

The juxtaposition of the stories told from different places and people works well. It builds up the characters and creates suspense.

I felt for Pilgram at the same time as being annoyed by her actions which drew me further into the book.

Not the type of book I usually read but I did enjoy it.

cavylover Mon 01-Jun-15 16:30:13

Extremely well written book which once you get in to it keeps you wanting to see what happens next and keeps the reader gripped. An excellent read

CarolLesley Mon 01-Jun-15 17:24:38

Thank you so much for my free copy - I would not normally have chosen this book. Like other posters, I also had some trouble getting into it. Not quite the same evocation of Africa as for example Chimamanda, but worth persevering with.

chris69 Tue 02-Jun-15 15:52:21

A thought provoking book, looking at different sides of traumatic situations and the awful consequences caused as a result of a spare of the moment decision. As previously stated in this thread I found the first half of the book a little hard to get in to in places, but kept reading to see if the main character found any redemption at the end. Overall I enjoyed the book and would read more books from this author. Thanks Mumsnet for the advance copy.

sliceofsoup Thu 04-Jun-15 11:30:02

Thanks for the free copy, I finished it last night.

I found this book gripping, and I agree it was haunting. I liked how it wasn't predictable, as I find so many books are these days. I will be looking for this author in future.

MamaMummyMum Fri 05-Jun-15 19:59:54

This is what I would call a gritty read. A book that is dark, gripping. Following a woman as she goes through different stages of what I think is both grief and guilt whilst bringing you some vivid imagery of Africa and what this place holds. I would say it isn't an easy read but it is definitely one that draws you in. I was left almost in a state of shock when I got to the end, not quite knowing what to think/feel. It had an air of mystery and some chapters were almost haunting. If you are looking for a light hearted read then this isn't it but one that you should pick up when you feel like being deep in thought.

fifide Mon 08-Jun-15 17:32:32

Thank you for my free copy of Shame by Melanie Finn. It arrived just as I was in the grip of the most awful whooping cough and was very welcome keeping my mind off the coughing!

I have never read anything by this author before but the giveaway piqued my interest.
Set in Switzerland and Africa and moving between the two, it was wonderfully descriptive of both and of the contrasts between 2 very different lands and ways of life.
The gentle yet powerful evocation of the characters has left me feeling as if I have met them in person.
The themes of loss and how this had affected all the characters differently made me consider how it can be that people carry on living despite such terrible losses.
And yet, the book was not morbid nor depressing.
I would thoroughly recommend it to all.

aristocat Mon 08-Jun-15 22:40:30

Thank you for my copy of this book and as others have already said I enjoyed it much much more than I was expecting to.

I felt taken on a journey just as Pilgrim was on her journey. The book was captivating and makes you think about life and how precious it is.

I will definitely look for more books from Melanie Finn. Thanks again mumsnet and Orion smile

Radley1 Thu 18-Jun-15 22:36:16

Thank you for my copy of Shame
I'm with all other reviews in that it isn't a book I'd normally pick off the shelf and also took a few chapters to get into the storyline but a great thought provoking tale on how loss and sadness effects us all differently. We can all relate to this and come away hope and a positive out look to the future Well worth a read.

shelaghh Tue 23-Jun-15 16:13:31

I read this book all through the night and part of the next day, finding it hard to put down. I found it mind- blowing in this day and age that young women are forced into marriage, can't say No, and then commit suicide

I was picked by MNHQ to review this book. I received it free, and have reviewed it in my own words and reflects my true opinion.

defineme Wed 24-Jun-15 10:32:16

Thank you for my free copy.
I particularly enjoyed the character of Pilgrim because she was so human and, as another poster said, the gentle uncovering of the story drew me into the narrative. It reminded me of some other writing I have read set in Africa, and the juxtaposition of Europe with Africa is always interesting, but I think the tone was what seemed fresh and kept me reading.
I would recommend it too smile

tropicalfish Fri 10-Jul-15 22:15:36

Thanks for my free copy.
I would recommend this book as it which is engrossing and well written. After the first few chapters, it is hard to put it down.
(Nb, Shelagh above I think is not reviewing 'Shame' which does not have a suicide in it!)
It does however tell the story of a tragedy and how that affects people and connects the many characters together, along with quite a pace which is set by the alternating chapters set in the past and the then the present.
A great story.

gin33333 Tue 25-Aug-15 12:13:46

Slow start to the story as it was difficult to find out what was going on as it mentioned two different countries which I had never heard of it seemed like there was 2 different stories even though there was a lot of detail to them which I liked found out a bit about the countries and what happens there that was interesting for me it got to the middle of the book when I grasped what was happening there was a lot of attention to detail also the characters seemed natural lifelike also liked the detail of Harry and Gloria as there was a bit of detective work which was laid out well I felt like I lost myself in the book for a moment also was a little sad ?? a interesting read but a bit confusing at the start

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now