Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: Winter's Bullet by William Osborne

(6 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Jan-15 12:53:52

This week we’re giving away 50 copies of Winter’s Bullet, the exciting new young adult novel by Hitler's Angel author William Osborne.

Set in Holland during WWII, Tygo, a locksmith’s son, is forced by the Nazis to loot abandoned Dutch homes for valuables. Known as the Ferret, he's despised by everyone - but it's the only way he can keep his family alive. When he discovers a girl clutching a diamond in a chimney, he refuses to give her up. Instead he turns spy and trades the jewel for information about Hitler's ultimate weapon. Can a ferret become a hero? He has one shot to stop the war.

Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy. Don't forget that if you're lucky enough to receive one, we do ask that you tell us what you think about it on the thread below or in our book reviews section.

GetHappy Fri 09-Jan-15 07:55:27

Fingers crossed ... i love anything WW1 & WW2 related

uriyaaz2401 Thu 26-Feb-15 22:50:22

I received this book last week. When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. It was such an amazing read, pulling you into the world of world war two and into the life of Tygo.

Will write a thorough review in a few weeks time.

JimmyCorkhill Tue 12-May-15 10:30:44

I really enjoyed this book. It gripped me from the start and I loved reading about a different viewpoint of WW11 (rather than the 'traditional' British one).

Personally, bearing in mind that I'm not the target audience, I much preferred the first half of the book. It is so detailed and really painted an authentic picture of life at the end of WW11.

I was less enamoured with the action filled second half. I found it quite unbelievable. Tygo managed to fire machine guns out of planes, fall from a roof, get shot at by professionals etc. yet still survive barely scathed and full of energy to race headlong into the next fracas. Also a nuclear bomb destined to 'destroy' all of New York managed to explode near Tygo and other important characters and all they noticed was a bang and a bright white light.

However, the way the action scenes are written are fantastic. If you enjoy action films then you will be very impressed. They are pacey, detailed and really play like a film in your mind.

I spent the beginning of the book wondering how much was actually true and at the end of the book there are pages telling you facts that the book was based on.

This book could be used to give an alternative view of WW11. The reader could investigate what is true and what is fiction. It is refreshing to move away from the sanitised primary school version of the war with happy evacuees and fun wartime recipes. Or I would suggest it for maybe a reluctant reader who enjoys war/action films as it is an exhilarating read.

Thanks for my copy!

pelhamgrenville Sat 23-May-15 20:49:51

Sorry I'm so late leaving a comment! Didn't like it at all, I'm afraid. It was too simplistic and shallow, with paper cut-out characters and no depth to the plot. I think it would have worked if it had been set in the future, or an alternative universe, but even then as a teenager (which I'm not!) I would have expected more working out of the relationships over a greater period of time, not instant love. The author seemed to be writing it with a film in mind! Anyway, I gave it to a charity shop and didn't put it in the heap for my kids to grow into. BUT it's the first time I've had a book in a giveaway, so from that point of view it was fantastic getting a parcel, ta very much!

JimmyCorkhill Sat 23-May-15 23:14:23

The author seemed to be writing it with a film in mind!

Yes! I thought this too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now