Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Twin Truths

(32 Posts)
NataliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Aug-14 10:08:44

This week we’ve got 50 copies of Twin Truths, by Shelan Rodgers to giveaway. Vividly set in Argentina, Brazil, and Greece, it’s a beautiful examination of identity and how much this is moulded by other relationships.

Click here for more information about the book and how to apply.

If you’re lucky enough to receive a copy of Twin Truths we do expect you to tell us what you thought about it on this thread or write a review here.

This giveaway is sponsored by Cutting Edge Press

frazzledbutcalm Tue 05-Aug-14 18:37:29

Have applied, fingers crossed.

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:20:00

Thanks to everyone who applied. This giveaway is now closed. We'll be in touch with the winners shortly.

Tina MNHQ

katb1973 Tue 26-Aug-14 17:06:23

I received a copy of this Mumsnet, without even expecting it...what a gift!!! This was a great book to read, had me riveted from the beginning. We meet 2 twins, one at a time. The author intrigues us right from the beginning as it soon becomes apparent that the truth as it is told to us, is not necessarily the truth...or is it? The author is skilled in constantly challenging our perception of the truth and how each character is perceived by other characters based on what they believe about them. The plot hinges on the mysterious circumstances of an accident that happened in the twins' childhood and how the search for the truth surrounding the accident and everything that comes after can influence the characters' lives going forward. A deeply satisfying ending and a tightly woven, many layered plot. Brilliant read...thoroughly recommended.

purplemonstermum Tue 26-Aug-14 23:05:36

Thank you for my free copy - wasn't expecting it either! Unfortunately I wasn't very impressed with this book - although it was well written I guessed the most important twist about halfway through and then it was just a case of waiting to be proved right...also I did not feel that the therapist's actions were professional or ethical AT ALL - which annoyed me a great deal (he should be sacked). I did not like the way certain characters flitted in and out without me ever getting a good sense of who they were or what their role was (e.g. the friend Ana, the friend Nick). Also I thought that there were too many sub-plots going on. Overall I was more irritated than anything by this book - sorry.

Keepcalmanddrinkwine Wed 27-Aug-14 00:48:10

Thanks for my copy- it's a really nicely produced book. I love the cover design. I'll read it this weekend and come back to share my thoughts.
smile

Thanks for my copy - will be back to review when I've had time to read it.

noscat Tue 09-Sep-14 09:38:04

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here and review. I believe this is her first book which means there is much to forgive - beautifully packaged and presented, and well written, but I didn't warm to the characters. SPOILER ALERT.... The plot was somewhat contrived, I imagine that the author had thought of the denouement first and worked backwards. The imaginary twin (as always in these cases) was far more interesting and I would have liked to have known who her real father was (never explained). Not my kind of book, but would be interested to read her second

fairyfiona Tue 09-Sep-14 15:48:11

thanks for my copy of twin truths.i found it to be a real page turner and didnt want to put it down.beautufully written this is a psychological suspense drama with a double twist.i shall look out for Shelan Rodger again

magsb1 Tue 09-Sep-14 17:10:51

Thanks for the copy of Twin Truths it was a great read I've just finished it and found it a really good book. It is one that I did not want to put down and I will be looking out for Shelan Rodgers next book.

justmuddlingalong Tue 09-Sep-14 17:55:47

The email from MN has reminded me to pick up this book again. I must admit I'm struggling to plough through it. The characters are unlikable IMHO, so I haven't really warmed to them. I'm about half way through so will return when I'm finished leave a proper review.

Boonbetty Tue 09-Sep-14 18:05:06

Thank you for my copy of this book which I enjoyed reading. It was interesting that there was not just one twist to the story but two. I thought it was well written and I would certainly read more by this author.

vanbandi Tue 09-Sep-14 20:41:03

Thank you very much for the copy. It is an interesting book. I found the beginning a bit confusing but from the second part everything was clear. The book is cleverly written and I enjoyed the twists.
I definitely would read more by the author.

Mick15 Tue 09-Sep-14 21:48:41

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through and really enjoying this - it has me hooked and every night I keep thinking "one more page". It's one of those books that you want to read quickly to find out what happens but also you don't want to finish because you're really enjoying it. I'll come back again once I've finished and give a full report of the ending etc.

navylass Wed 10-Sep-14 20:56:27

A wonderful read. Great writing with a compelling story, couldn't put it down.

Thank you so very much for the copy of "Twin Truths". It was a lovely surprise to receive this book. I found this book to be a thoroughly good read - full of suspense - a real page turner. I would definitely recommend the book as it was so cleverly written with great twists. Thank you again!

lolapops1 Thu 11-Sep-14 15:11:44

Wow this is a fantastic and well written book. I loved it from start to finish.
It was a gripping tale of two sisters,but who is telling the truth?
It delves into their lives and you hear it from one sister's side of the story but is it the whole truth and why does she need therapy?
You didn't just want to know the truth about the characters in the book it makes you question whether people in your own life and even yourself are telling the whole truth.

CREATIVZ Sun 14-Sep-14 21:45:50

Thanku mumsnet for my free copy of 'Twin Truths', much appreciated. I really enjoyed this book, it's great how the story twists and evolves, it was quite an emotional journey, interesting how it makes you question your perception of truth, I think it would make a great film. A recommended read especially if you enjoy intelligent psychological suspense, Twin Truths is a satisfying debut.

PaulineDS Mon 15-Sep-14 09:34:43

Great to receive a free book in the post so thank you Mumsnet! I have to say I found the book quite hard to get in to, and even when I did I found it a bit too self indulgent for my liking, though I did warm to the main character (s) once I got a bit more of her background. Not really a book I would have been happy to have paid for, a bit too dark and serious for me, sorry!

Twin Truths is a tale of abuse, betrayal and survival. Jenny and Pippa are twins, different in many ways but always there for each other. Their childhood has left them damaged and their personalities have been shaped by their divergent coping mechanisms. One withdraws into solitude, finding escape in academia and books. The other lashes out in anger, seeking danger and excitement, punishing those around in an attempt to manage the hurt that is always present but rarely acknowledged.

A plane crash sets in motion a spiral of events that force a confrontation between past, present and future. Travelling between Britain, South America and the Mediterranean, the truths about events that have shaped the twins’ lives are revealed.

At a superficial level this is a well written, psychological thriller with a satisfyingly, though not unexpected ending. At its heart, though,it is so much more. I enjoyed the unpicking of the human psyche, the difficulty in seeing ourselves as others see us, the way we see the world and those around, how we translate our experiences from the baseline of everything else that has happened in our past.

Other than the obvious mystery surrounding the twins history, the central aspect explored in this book is what makes a person who they are, what is the truth and whose truth is ' the truth'. An interesting read.

Poledra Thu 18-Sep-14 14:33:42

Thank you for my copy of this book. I'm sorry to say, though, that I strongly disliked it. I thought the plot twist was a cop-out, and quite hackneyed. Perhaps it doesn't help that I am on the sceptical side of the debate around the diagnosis of the disorder in question so am disinclined to accept it as the denouement!

There was quite a lot of unanswered questions at the end of the book (the main one being who was her father?) which irritates me - I do like a nice neat ending with all the loose threads tied off grin.

It is well-written and I would read something else written by the author if I saw it in the library. But this one's heading off to my sister, as it's not something I'd reread.

bernie77 Mon 06-Oct-14 16:49:56

A lovely book, though it took a bit of getting into. A complicated plot, that twisted and turned, yet made sense, and maybe left a few loose ends that would have been interesting to have had resolved, but then equally those very same loose ends are the thing that's made me continue to mull it all over.

AlexanderinaTheGreater Fri 10-Oct-14 11:27:19

I thoroughly enjoyed the book as bed time reading. There were enough questions and uncertainties all the way through to keep me guessing and trying to stay one step ahead of what I'd been told. I'm not sure I'd say the characters were likeable as such, but they intrigued me which kept me reading. Thanks for the opportunity to try a new author - I'll certainly keep a look out for future books.

AMeissner Sun 12-Oct-14 12:12:10

Many thanks for the great book 'Twin Truths', it was so addictive to read. At first it was a bit tedious to get in to and at times I thought "What ? She didn't really say that ?" and "OMG ! I'm blushing reading this !". However, I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. My daily commute to work was so much more enjoyable and I couldn't wait to get on the bus and start reading. I really enjoyed 'Twin Truths', the way the author had me intrigued in what's going to happen next and most of all the whole outcome. The twisty twists had me going crazy as I couldn't figure out the plot, like you are able to with some books with having read just a few pages. It was such a compelling book to read and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who likes twist and a bit sinister plot.

princessgray Wed 15-Oct-14 18:48:55

I thought that this book's central premise was somewhat predictable and so overall I found it to be a disappointing read. I didn't warm to the characters at all and couldn't understand how a professional therapist could behave in such a way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now