Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Judas Scar by Amanda Jennings

(32 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Jul-14 11:07:13

Scars. We all carry them. Some are mere scratches. Others run deeper.

Will and His best friend are involved in a horrific incident at school, which results in them parting ways. Years later they meet again and the memories come flooding back.

This week, we're giving away 50 copies of The Judas Scar, the gripping new novel by Amanda Jennings about the secrets that we try to bury, but can't always hide.

Click here to find out more and apply for a free copy now.

If you're lucky enough to receive a copy of The Judas Scar please remember to post your thoughts about the book on this thread or write a review here.

This giveaway is sponsored by Cutting Edge Press.

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Jul-14 12:24:24

Hi, this giveaway is now closed, thanks to everyone who applied. We'll be in touch with the winners shortly.

Got a copy today thanks smile
Reviews all look pretty good, looking forward to reading.

0pheliaBalls Fri 01-Aug-14 19:19:31

Received mine today too, thanks. Yes, the reviews on Amazon are all very positive - can't wait to get stuck in!

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 04-Aug-14 19:37:35

Received a copy of this today unexpectedly as no email from MN. Thank you! Looking forward to reading it!

W00woo Mon 04-Aug-14 21:38:33

Got this this morning and can not wait to start it! Thanks mumsnet smile

0pheliaBalls Thu 07-Aug-14 18:27:11

Oh my gosh, how excellent was this book!

A beautifully written portrait of very damaged individuals, it explores themes of love and betrayal to shattering effect. Luke in particular was wonderfully drawn - the reader feels such sympathy for him, despite his actions.

The last third of the book packed such an emotional punch it actually left me reeling. So many surprises, all so deftly woven together that none of them were signposted pages ahead.

There are elements of a thriller to The Judas Scar but it's much more than that - it's a tender exploration of how our experiences and traumas damage us and shape our lives. I loved it.

Absolutely recommended - than you so much MN!

BookwormMummy Fri 08-Aug-14 19:55:32

omg... received 'The Judas Scab' this morning and have just this second finished reading it... wow ... This has to be up there as one of the best books I've read this year, and I've been lucky to read many. Previous to winning the competition I hadn't actually heard of the book, having seen no advertisement for it, so I was able to approach it with a clear mind and I'm so glad I did.

I loved Will and Harmony as a couple and I did find myself casting judgement at both of their actions but by the end of the story as all was revealed I couldn't help but feel sorry for all that were involved in the dreadful experience. I know first hand how much a bad childhood experience can shape adulthood and it was quite heart-breaking to witness Will and Luke's lives shattered by something which neither one of them deserved. The fact that both of them were just children at the time made me warm to them both and, especially in the case of Luke, look at their behaviour in a different more non-judgemental way.

I love the roller coaster of emotions Amanda has produced from just this one incident and I can't recommend it highly enough. This is one of those books that you just have to keep reading that extra chapter until you suddenly realise you've savoured the whole book!

BookwormMummy Fri 08-Aug-14 20:02:38

OpheliaBalls... I felt the same way about Luke. I just wanted to hug him and tell him it would be okay and that he wasn't to blame for the actions of others! I also felt the same for Will and even after his deception to Harmony I was still vouching for them to stay together. It's amazing how well some writers can draw such believable and likeable characters!

cathisherwood Mon 11-Aug-14 11:29:54

This is a really good read where you can empathize with all the main characters as the reasons for their actions becomes clearer. Even with the murder and suicide it manages to have a happy outcome for Will and Harmony and boy dont they deserve it!

ncbataylor Mon 11-Aug-14 16:10:56

this book is amazing read it in 2 days ,so many twists and turns a must read for everybody .Thanks for the give away

Dolallytats Wed 13-Aug-14 17:40:53

What a brilliant book. A not-put-downable page turner with some unexpected twists. I blame this book completely for my being shattered as I had to read 'just one more chapter' before going to sleep!

Shaler Thu 14-Aug-14 20:20:38

Returned home from holiday to find a copy waiting for me, thank you! Will read it once I have finished my current one and post again.

TheReluctantCountess Sun 17-Aug-14 16:55:51

I'm about two thirds of the way through The Judas Scar. It is an incredibly written and very moving story. The characters are believable you really do get drawn into the story.

I'd love to read more by the author, and I've already recommended this to several friends.

manofsponge Tue 19-Aug-14 01:32:24

Oh in the end it was a bit stupid. I bought it and thought it was kind of disposable. Story was far fetched. The heroine dappy

Jossykaye Thu 21-Aug-14 20:13:07

Just finishing off my current read then will get started on this. Doesn't look like my usual type so it will be nice to try something new. Looking forward to sharing my thoughts...

Sharpkat Sat 23-Aug-14 22:18:28

Just read this after receiving my copy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have talked about it to other people which is a very good sign. Very easy to read.

Shaler Mon 01-Sep-14 13:01:03

An emotionally powerful and compelling book that really resonated with me having had a very difficult childhood and knowing all too well how past events and emotional scars can shape us as adults. The main characters are well drawn and believable - you cannot help but empathize with them and the struggles they face, even when they make terrible mistakes that will come back to haunt them. As events unfold and momentum builds, the book becomes utterly gripping and towards the end I just couldn't put it down and stayed up far too late finishing it! I heartily recommend it and am looking forward to reading more books by the author.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 06-Sep-14 22:44:36

Finished this a few days ago.

Good easy-reading story but spoiled by poor writing and / or editing. Was there any editing? Drawers written as "draws" and being able to look straight out of a window on the South Bank at Blackfriar's Bridge and being able to see both St Paul's (yes) and the Palace of Westminster (really?). Just two of many howlers.

Also, the "heroine's" name Harmony put me off straight away - very Mills & Boon.

The plot was transparent - immediately after the infertility was mentioned Luke cropped up. It was so obvious she would get pregnant by him.

Disappointing.

Jossykaye Sun 07-Sep-14 20:42:45

Just finished this book and enjoyed it so much. Really gripping from start to finish. It's not a perfect book- there are bits of the plot that are a bit 'obvious', I thought Harmony was a dreadful name too and it beggared my belief that a couple could have been together for twenty years and the 'having a baby' conundrum had never come to a head. But all in all I could overlook these imperfections and enjoy the story and the great characters. Would definitely recommend this.

VicKWhish Tue 09-Sep-14 16:19:14

I really enjoyed this book. Please see my review over on the Book Review page.

Thanks for sending me a copy of this book.

This is one of the best books I've read for a while, it's quite dark in places, well written and good characters.

I did guess how the book would end but that didn't make reading this book any less enjoyable. It was hard to put down as I wanted to read more about Will, Harmony & Luke.

Will keep an eye out for the other book Amanda Jennings has queues as I've ears that is also supposed to be good.

auntielaraine Tue 09-Sep-14 16:52:28

Thanks for this - just a quick message as I was trying not to read the ones above me !!! Started it on Monday & am already about a quarter of the way through !!! Can't wait to get back in. Watch this space

cavylover Tue 09-Sep-14 18:42:27

This is probably my favourite book of the year so far as it was extremely well written and have recommended it to others. Will keep an eye out for Amanda Jennings' other books. All the characters were well thought out and there were different twists and turns that kept me guessing. Many thanks for the book!

hjeffers Tue 09-Sep-14 18:46:51

I loved this book - at first I wasn't sure about the plot and wondered if it had been influenced by Blood Brothers by Willy Russell, however it soon gripped me and I couldn't put it down. The characters are not particularly sympathetic (like Gone Girl) however I became immersed in their worlds and the ending was a surprise (rare nowadays!) I am looking forward to reading more books by this author - if you like a good thriller then go for this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now