Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Spare Brides by Adele Parks

(25 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jul-14 10:11:56

We're giving away 50 copies of Spare Brides the richly compelling and emotional new novel by Sunday Times bestselling author by Adele Parks. Click here to apply for a copy.

If you receive a free copy of Spare Brides, don't forget to tell us what you thought on this thread, or in our book reviews section.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Headline Publishing

mjmooseface Mon 07-Jul-14 17:35:34

Hey TinaMumsnet

Just wondering if there is a mistake on the page with the form for a copy of the book... It says the giveaway ends on Monday 14th August!

frazzledbutcalm Mon 07-Jul-14 19:30:21

Have applied, thank you, fingers crossed. mjm .... well spotted, I wouldn't have noticed! blush

laurano81 Mon 07-Jul-14 19:37:33

Oh nothing better than a great book to read, during those hazy summer eve's! Fx

Nesstoria11 Mon 07-Jul-14 19:45:14

I have applied I hope I'm a lucky one xx

mjmooseface Tue 08-Jul-14 13:33:23

Haha thanks frazzledbutcalm. I didn't always have this attention to detail lol :P

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Jul-14 11:16:25

Hi mjmooseface well spotted, the giveaway is actually closing today, sorry about that! Thanks to everyone who applied, we'll be in touch with the winners shortly.

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 14-Jul-14 11:19:05

Yes please would live a copy but when I go to apply it's saying This form is currently private and cannot be viewed by the public. sad

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 14-Jul-14 11:19:17

*love

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Jul-14 16:02:20

Hi Theselittlelightsofmine the giveaway is now closed, sorry about that. Please apply again next time.

laurano81 Tue 22-Jul-14 17:00:46

I received my copy today smile Thank you! I can't wait to read it x

Thanks for my copy! Just in time for my holiday grin I will have time to read it even if I have to lock myself away!

laurano81 Thu 31-Jul-14 17:15:19

Oh I haven't been able to put it down, since I started reading it! I am on chapter 29 now smile ...Is there anyone else reading it at the moment?

I'm struggling to get in to this, will keep at it and come back to review.

laurano81 Tue 12-Aug-14 13:54:37

I am going to read the book again & then leave a review...I read the book in 2 days..gobbled it up! It was defo a page turner once you got through the first few chapters...it dealt with so many issues, that I really feel that I have to read it again in order to review it properly x

pennwood Mon 01-Sep-14 19:55:38

I am really enjoying Spare Brides, and the style it is written in. Not wanting to spoil it for other readers, all I will say is I want to follow each person, & it certainly covers a lot of issues. Loved the cover too, the picture is so elegant.

ktmd Tue 09-Sep-14 19:30:04

Hi
Still haven't received my copy, but looking forward to it!

glenka Tue 09-Sep-14 20:46:35

This was a different type of book from this author. It took me a long time to get into it but in the end I think it was a good book. With good characters and a good story.

lolapops1 Thu 11-Sep-14 15:16:03

This is quite a bit different from Adele Parks other books and I have to admit not one of my favourites.
It took me a while to get into it and I certainly didn't feel it was a page turner.
I possibly expected a bit more from this book but it was a struggle to finish as I felt nothing towards the four main characters and didn't actually care what happened to them. It could be the time period that it is set in but just not for me.

mehadi Thu 11-Sep-14 15:38:58

I found this book different and with an unusual twist. I agree that it took me a while to get into it but after a few chapters I really wanted to know what was going to happen. It made me think differently about that era.

JimmyCorkhill Wed 17-Sep-14 16:37:51

My copy hasn't arrived yet sad

JimmyCorkhill Sun 21-Sep-14 23:31:22

Hellooooo? I was emailed to say I had been chosen but I still don't have the book sadsad

JimmyCorkhill Tue 07-Oct-14 08:04:31

Me again! Did only 6 mumsnetters receive this book then? Whaaaaaaat's happening?

JimmySilentHill Tue 04-Nov-14 11:50:48

It's finally arrived!! grin

JimmyCorkhill Thu 13-Nov-14 23:16:59

Loved this book. I'm a big Adele Parks fan anyway but the subject matter is so interesting. It merged well with my Downton Abbey viewing grin

I really enjoyed following the story from each character's viewpoint. My only disappointment was it seemed to become all about Lydia and Ava when I thought that Sarah and Beatrice were waaaaaaaay more interesting characters. In fact, I wish it had been all about those two because their situations were much more interesting. And it was a shame that the sister in law (married to the disabled war veteran brother) wasn't explored more. I think Adele Parks focused on the wrong characters. At the end when the individual stories were resolved I felt that Sarah and Beatrice's were rushed. I don't actually believe that Beatrice would have taken the path she did and been happy with it.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I suppose my gripe about the characters just shows how I wanted more from the story. The good news is that there is/going to be a prequel and I will definitely read that.

It was a brilliant idea to write about the effects of WW1 from the viewpoints of women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now