Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book Giveaway: Her

(45 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jun-14 11:03:04

This week we're giving away 50 copies of Her, by Harriet Lane. Dubbed 'Thriller of the Year' by Amanda Craig, Her is the taut revenge drama that mumsnetters have been talking about for weeks.

Two women; two different worlds.
Emma is a struggling mother who has put everything on hold.
Nina is sophisticated and independent - entirely in control.
When the pair meet, Nina generously draws Emma into her life. But this isn't the first time the women's paths have crossed. Nina remembers Emma and she remembers what Emma did...

But what exactly does Nina want from her?

And how far will she go in pursuit of it?

Written a by a fellow mumsnetter, we loved this book so much, it's featured in this years summer reads.

Click here to apply for a copy. Or read this thread, if you'd like to know what others have to say about Her.

If you receive a free copy, don't forget to tell us what you thought on this thread, or in our book reviews section.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Orion Books

DuchessofMalfi Mon 30-Jun-14 18:28:27

Have applied for a copy. Fingers crossed smile Absolutely loved Alys, Always which I read recently. V excited about this one.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 30-Jun-14 21:58:25

Have applied, fingers crossed!

ScarlettDarling Mon 30-Jun-14 22:00:10

I'd love to read this, fingers crossed x

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jul-14 12:21:01

This giveaway has now closed, thanks to everyone who applied. We'll send out an email to the winners shortly.

tinypumpkin Tue 22-Jul-14 14:15:33

Yay, I am lucky to get the email. I can't wait to read this. It sound fantastic. I will be back to post once I have received the book and started reading.

Sparklypants Tue 22-Jul-14 20:10:03

I got an email too smile I can't wait to read it! Yippeeee

DuchessofMalfi Wed 23-Jul-14 15:10:11

Book received this morning. Gorgeous hardback smile It's coming on holiday with me. Can't wait to get started. Thank you MN.

Southeastdweller Wed 23-Jul-14 15:40:07

I didn't win but I've just finished a library copy. I didn't enjoy it that much but won't say anymore yet as I don't want to influence anyone!

YankNCock Wed 23-Jul-14 18:39:23

Got mine today!!! Will crack it open as soon as the kids are in bed. Looking forward to this, I've never done anything with MN book club, here's hoping I don't make a tit of myself in review/discussion.

I got it today at 2, and I've finished it.

My word!

Gripping. I thought it started off a bit slow, I didn't get it. Then all of a sudden I just did. I loved the way we saw both perspectives of the story.

The ending, wow! I want to know what happens next! Brilliantly written

cookiemonster66 Wed 23-Jul-14 23:49:40

Arrived this morning - and Ive just finished it! The book will appeal to harrased mums everywhere as its easy to relate to with the never ending tedium of daily life. Found the storyline a bit weak, the 'explanation' for the actions a bit unbelievable, was expecting something a bit more juicy, more shocking, it erred too much on the side of 'safe' for my liking. Then in complete contrast, the actions way too OTT for the reasons?!. I did enjoy the way it went from one persons perspective to the other, which reminded me a tad of 'gone girl'. I also worked out the ending way before the last page too, so no unexpected ending or cliff hanger, bit predictable. I was expecting a bit more from this book with all the hype printed on the cover 'thriller of the year' sticker?!? In summary :- too much boring tedium, unbelievable plot, but will appeal to bored housewives cannot imagine any man reading past the first chapter.

Then in complete contrast, the actions way too OTT for the reasons

Totally agree.

I re-read it during the night (baby not sleeping) and still think it was great, but was expecting more reason for it all.

I didn't see the ending coming, but I never do tbf.

Still agree it's a great book, I wouldn't read it again though

loopylady83 Thu 24-Jul-14 07:16:23

how come I can't apply?

YankNCock Thu 24-Jul-14 14:11:20

loopy, the giveaway closed a few weeks ago.

beadycake Thu 24-Jul-14 22:12:12

Yay got mine! Looking forward to starting...need to finish current read first!

countingdown Thu 24-Jul-14 23:28:00

I came to bed for an early night but can't seem to put my copy of the book down!

princessgray Mon 28-Jul-14 12:35:59

I enjoyed so much of it but the "reveal" was poor, I was expecting something terrible. I didn't like the ending at all. Over all I was very disappointed.

beadycake Mon 28-Jul-14 18:04:13

So, I too read it in one sitting - it was easy and enjoyable.
I found it well written and really enjoyed the storytelling itself but...really disappointed with the ending! A bit of a let down, a cop out, I agree with princessgray about the 'reveal' (snore) and I also felt the reasons for Nina's behaviour towards Emma unrealistic to say the least... shame, it had the potential to be juicier.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 28-Jul-14 19:41:29

Have started it today. Like it so far, am half way. Looking forward to reading more later.

Southeastdweller Tue 29-Jul-14 19:16:04

Much too much detail on Emma's life at the expense of fleshing out Nina so I didn't buy the actions of Nina at the end and never felt I 'got' Emma's voice. I also didn't buy that Emma didn't recognise Nina at all even after at least 20 years.

Some nice writing but the execution overall was lacking.i hope her first book is better.

I mostly enjoyed the book, it is easy to read and I love Harriet Lane's writing.

I agree with the comments above about the reveal and the ending. Neither were realistic. The ending was disappointing, and didn't really make sense to me.

Not sure it justifies "Thriller of the Year" but a nice holiday read.

countingdown Wed 30-Jul-14 15:10:45

I really enjoyed this book - it was a slow burner, but I felt that I wanted to keep reading. However, I couldn't help but feel disappointed with the ending. This really did have the potential to be a fantastic read, but instead I would rate it as being enjoyable.

tinypumpkin Wed 30-Jul-14 22:27:50

I really enjoyed this too. I could not put it down. Always a good sign. I did get the ending before the final part. I assumed I was wrong as it seemed too obvious, clearly not.

In terms of Nina's reason, that seemed at odds with the book as it was not 'strong' enough. This did spoil the book a little I felt.

I did like the two perspectives too. Overall I really enjoyed this but felt a little bit let down by the final part of the book.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 31-Jul-14 18:24:27

I finished reading it this afternoon. Enjoyed very much. Will post review when have better WiFi connection (bit dodgy atm).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now