PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Fault in our Stars by John Green - apply for free copy

(33 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Jun-14 17:15:53

We have 50 copies of John Green's classic The Fault in Our Stars to giveaway this week. If you're still yet to read the sorrowful yet uplifting love story between two teenage cancer patients, now is your chance ahead of the film release on 19 June. Find out more about the book and watch a sneaky preview trailer for the film and apply for a free copy. If you're one of the lucky fifty don't forget to come back and share your thoughts or post a review (and of course talk about the book on twitter).

Please!!! I've been waiting weeks for a copy from the library! 17 copies and all have over 50 applications for reserves.

mummytime Mon 09-Jun-14 17:29:19

Its fabulous - my DC bought it for my birthday - and one wants to borrow it now! (I've also been to the Hotel mentioned in the book.)
So do apply!

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 09-Jun-14 21:05:03

Done, fingers crossed.
This has been described as this years Me Before You , so would love to read as I really enjoyed that.

Stripytop Mon 09-Jun-14 21:08:06

A beautiful book. Dd and I have already read it and would highly recommend it.

Anitata Mon 09-Jun-14 23:31:04

Would love a copy.

b4u2bweird Tue 10-Jun-14 11:04:57

Pick me....please...

StepfauxWife Tue 10-Jun-14 21:00:34

I adore this book, really enjoyed it - and wept like a child! Can't wait for the film, which has rave reviews (but I'm sure won't live up to the book)

ireadnovels Wed 11-Jun-14 08:23:17

Hope I win a copy of The Fault In Our Stars by John Green as not getting my book newsletter in time to enter book competions.

Not sure if MN will ever want to let me have a book again, after my slating of, 'And The Mountains Echoed' but some of my students have loved this, so I'd be interested to give it a go for that reason.

TroyMcClure Wed 11-Jun-14 21:33:52

i liked the mountains echoed
i HOWLED LIKE A DOG at this sopathon

Really? Am shocked! grin

TroyMcClure Wed 11-Jun-14 21:34:59

i was in the bath

crying

smile I haven't cried at a book for a long time - Stephen King was the last one, and Harry Potter before that!

AtYourCervix Wed 11-Jun-14 21:40:04

Yes please. For DD2. I have it on my kindle but she finds it really hard to read on that do a paper copy would be super.

It is a lovely book.

BertieBotts Wed 11-Jun-14 21:42:52

I have read this and it's incredible. I love it.

frazzledbutcalm Thu 12-Jun-14 21:57:43

Have applied, fingers crossed. All these comments have made me REALLY want this book!

DuchessofMalfi Fri 13-Jun-14 08:01:20

I think I must be a lone voice in really not liking this novel. I felt I was being emotionally manipulated - in reading this novel I was expected to cry. I refused to do that. It came pretty close to going in the bin it made me that cross.

I much preferred A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, and Wonder by R J Palacio, both of which were far superior to this book.

ebiggs21 Wed 18-Jun-14 07:46:55

I would love to have the chance to read it. I havent seen the movie yet and would love to read it first.

TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Jun-14 16:31:06

This giveaway is now closed. We will notify those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please feel free to come back and discuss the book on this thread, we would love to hear your thoughts.

I thought I'd missed out on a copy as I didn't get an email so I was pleasantly surprised when the postie delivered a copy to me this morning!

annamac1981 Mon 14-Jul-14 11:13:29

I was lucky enough to receive my free copy at the end of last week! Thank you!! Since then I've speeded through this book it's a very easy read and personally I really enjoyed it and wanted to keep reading chapter after chapter to find out what would happen to the two main characters. I do agree with a couple of the reviewers above that it is a book trying to make you cry, and that Wonder is a significantly superior book however this is still a good read that for me made me think and appreciate how lucky I am to be fit and healthy. It is a light read I didn't feel any of the characters offered a particular depth to them.

Personally I think this will make a good film, potentially a better film than it does a book.

his is an excellent book about love, life and death. The story takes you on quite a roller-coaster of emotions as you follow Hazel and Augustus' relationship, the two have cancer which has understandably given them a rather cynical outlook on life.
It's not really surprising that The Fault in Our Stars is such a good book, after all it has been written by John Green who is an award-winning New York Times best selling author, he has won the Printz Medal, a Printz Honour and the Edgar Award. This story has now been made into major motion picture.

chris69 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:07:34

Received my copy of The Fault in our Stars as a Mumsnet Giveaway I had high expectations as I had heard a lot about this book in the media. However though well written I found the characters a bit cheesy although the situation they were going through was heartbreakingly sad. Still it is a good read just to make you appreciate the value of life. Thanks Mumsnet for the book.

Thank you for my copy, I used my last child free afternoon before the holidays to finish it today. It made me cry a little but I had about 15 mins before the school run to compose myself. I thought it was well written and moving. At the same time I can see why reviewers felt that the film of the book was manipulative, somehow reading and relying on your own imagination seems more real than the falseness of a hollywood movie. I can see why the book has been so popular and would recommend it to friends but I don't think I want to see the film (unusual for me not to want to see a film of a book I liked). Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now