Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Sorry Dad by Maxine Lee

(28 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-May-14 15:43:45

We've got 50 copies of quirky picture book Sorry Dad up for grabs, from the author and illustrator of Pi-Rat Maxine Lee. Follow the cheeky cat, who can't help but find himself on the naughty step - will he find the right way to say 'Sorry, Dad?'.

Apply for a free copy here, then come back and let us know what your DC's think on this thread, or you can post a review.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Little Tiger Press.

bumpiesonamission Wed 28-May-14 08:47:32

Done! Fingers crossed

MrsVWhippy Wed 28-May-14 16:23:24

This reminds me so much of my lb and his dad :-)

yummum120 Wed 28-May-14 19:10:23

My Ds is a little old for this one, but I think he would enjoy a picture book where he can tell the story in his own way and he is below his age in most milestones.

Carriecakes80 Thu 29-May-14 16:13:44

I know my little ones would love Daddy to read this to them, looks like a very enjoyable book! Fingers crossed! :-)

mamato3luvleys Fri 30-May-14 16:34:25

Done, fingers crossed that we receive a copy x

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jun-14 10:35:14

This giveaway is now closed. We will inform those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please feel free to come back here and let us know your thoughts on the book, or you can post a review. Happy Reading grin

mamato3luvleys Wed 04-Jun-14 13:09:40

Just received an email saying that I've been selected smile can't wait to receive our book thank you very much x

keriku Wed 04-Jun-14 14:29:01

I am getting one too-looks fab!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 06-Jun-14 15:12:09

Looking forward to read it! Thanks

mamato3luvleys Wed 18-Jun-14 17:07:21

Have just received my book today thank you.
Me &my partner read it to our 14month old son and he absolutely loved it he was engaged in It throughout smile he was excited to see the next page all the way through it. The pictures are great and funny and it's soo bright and colourful we were all laughing and enjoyed the read. It's one to read again and again thanks again smile

bumpiesonamission Wed 18-Jun-14 19:18:32

Hi, we received our book today.

My husband read it to my 20 week old little boy and he loved it, he was fascinated in the colours on the page and as ever tried to help turn the page!!

We (DH and I) loved the illustration and the concept of the story. We also loved that there were unspoken events and when our lo is older I am sure it will lead to much conversation during story time i.e "what is has happened to the dad?" which is great and will encourage his curiosity, language and observational skills. We also thought that the unspoken situation such as the little boy sat on the stairs was refreshing. So many books put names into children's heads and so when he was sat on the step, it was refreshing for it not to be called the naughty step or the thinking step! It was implied but not forced. We also loved that in the end all is ok!

Thank you for giving this opportunity. I will be sure to look out for other book give always in the future, this was our first one!! A great way to build our ever growing library but also for me to use my brain cells!!

Thanks

(Sorry for the very unMNer gushing!!)

PandaFeet Wed 18-Jun-14 21:02:02

We received this today, and I read it to my 5 yo and 19mo DDs. They both loved it, the bright colours and beautiful drawings really held their attention, and the 5 yo loved discussing the events in the book and establishing what had actually made the dad cross, as its not always made completely obvious.

A great book for many ages! Thank you!

coolmini Thu 19-Jun-14 18:40:02

We received this book last night and my five year old boy and I read it together. We both really enjoyed it. It is bright and colourful and easy for a child to understand.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 20-Jun-14 10:04:20

We have received it too.
It has been our bedtime story for 2 nights now. DD2 (4) really liked it. Well! Not difficult as she adores little cats and winding up her dad! I think she can relate.
It has nice drawings and easy to read sentences.
You can tell the author has had a child or read carefully the threads on MN, because I can remember a day like this with my two inventive girls.
I even sneaked on DD1 (9) having a read she liked it too.
It is the kind of book which, as a parent, puts a smile on your face and makes you nod knowingly!

lottietiger Fri 20-Jun-14 18:16:02

A lovely little book, my 17 month old son really liked it. There is lots to look at on every page and you can make the story longer or shorter by talking about what made dad angry. The colours are bright and fun and there are lots of animals which my son loves to spot. All in all a book that will become a firm favourite

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 23-Jun-14 20:50:27

Thank you for this book!

DD (5) was very excited to get it and she really liked the pictures.

She found it easy to read, with clear writing and she enjoyed reading it to us at bed time.

She thought the best bit was when the dad got cross and shouted, but she said the whole book was funny.

I liked the book because it was well illustrated and there was lots to talk about in the pictures, and I liked the way it was so accessible to a new reader. I'd definitely recommend it or buy it as a gift.

dreamingoffields Mon 23-Jun-14 23:25:14

As previous posters have commented, this book is bright and accessible to children and parents. DH enjoyed reading it at bedtime; DS4 found it funny - probably gave him some ideas (not sure this is a positive!) Probably a bit old for the DTs2 but I might be saying that as they are particularly naughty atm so are being restricted to moral tales wink - they'd definitely like the pictures.

Thanks very much - lovely to receive this.

ctalbot41 Tue 24-Jun-14 14:22:25

thanksWhat a lovely big colourful book. The girls have read this out loud as if it was a play. They find it very funny to read to the younger sisters and laugh out loud every time. I am going to make a collection of these books by Maxine Lee, as I enjoyed watching the girls turn it into a play. Thank you for this book it is lovely. smile

yummum120 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:46:09

We all enjoyed this book, even my eldest son, who is 10. Ds2 had been reading it almost every day for a while.

Juliebmo3 Fri 27-Jun-14 21:36:58

The boys (7, 5, 2) we're so excited by the fact we'd actually won something - Thank you. Sonny loved reading the book to his two younger brothers. The story really engaged them, especially our youngest!

countingdown Mon 30-Jun-14 13:38:23

Thank you for sending us this book. My children, and their daddy, really enjoyed reading and discussing it. The children (aged 4 and 5) loved the pictures, which were bright and colourful. They enjoyed taking turns to read it. I know this will be a well read book in our house!

CoshNCuddle Mon 30-Jun-14 19:25:54

Thank you for the book! It is a nice read, it is colourful, has a good layout. I like the fact that it does not really spell out everything that happens on the page. It encourages paying attention to each panel and is good for trying to understand consequences of actions.

Overall, quite pleased with it and will recommend it to or buy it for friends and family.

SnipSnapCrashCrack Tue 01-Jul-14 19:33:17

My son loves the bright pictures in this book and asks for it to be read whenever he see's it on his shelf smile

Thurlow Thu 03-Jul-14 14:41:11

DD seemed to like the book and has happily looked at it a lot.

However it seemed wrong for her age. She's 2.5, so old enough to actually want stories read to her, but a bit too young to 'read' it herself. There is a lot in the book which involves looking at pictures and making up the story for yourself, and DD gets frustrated with too much of that, she wants us to read a story to her so she can listen.

Sorry, that's a bit waffly! But what I meant is that it is a lovely story and a really nice book, but probably for slightly older children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now