Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Marriage Material by Sathnam Sanghera

(36 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-May-14 16:59:25

We're giving away 50 copies of Marriage Material by Sathnam Sanghera. It’s an epic tale of family, love, and politics spanning the 20th century. Told with humour, tenderness and insight by one of Britain's most promising young writers, it was shortlisted for the Costa First Novel Award and longlisted for the Desmond Elliott Prize.

To Arjan Banga, returning to the Black Country after the unexpected death of his father, his family's corner shop represents everything he has tried to leave behind – a lethargic pace of life, insular rituals and ways of thinking. But when his mother insists on keeping the shop open, he finds himself being dragged back, forced into big decisions about his imminent marriage back in London and uncovering the history of his broken family – the betrayals and loyalties, loves and regrets that played out in the shop over more than fifty years.

Click here if you’d like to read an extract of the book, or apply for a free copy now. We will post on the thread once all the copies have gone.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Windmill Books.

yummum120 Mon 19-May-14 18:57:08

I hope I'm lucky enough to be selected.

ILikeWarmHugs Mon 19-May-14 21:28:58

I would love to enter the giveaway but it doesn't seem to be working.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 20-May-14 21:55:28

Have applied, fingers crossed.

mom2010 Mon 26-May-14 09:04:41

have applied too. I have been trying to get a copy from the library but it is always out on loan. Will feel really lucky if I am chosen. Fingers crossed. smile

everythingisonmurtaghlist Mon 26-May-14 09:12:06

Fingers crossed will be chosen

EduardoBarcelona Mon 26-May-14 12:03:16

this is a BRILLIANT book - I recommend it to all of you.

EduardoBarcelona Mon 26-May-14 12:03:33

but you have spelled his name wrong!

ShanghaiDiva Mon 26-May-14 12:11:28

Agree with Eduardo - a great read.

EduardoBarcelona Mon 26-May-14 12:18:30

i laughed a lot till at the end i went shock

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-May-14 10:08:04

This giveaway is now closed. We will notify those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please feel free to come back and discuss the book on this thread, we would love to hear your thoughts.

everythingisonmurtaghlist Wed 28-May-14 15:36:23

Woo hoo! Just got my email - can't wait to read it. Better get my current book read.

EduardoBarcelona Wed 28-May-14 15:38:31

Ooh you'll LOVE

TroyMcClure Thu 05-Jun-14 17:41:50

boo, I didnt get one.
there is a little film though for those of you interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE7MneYpaAs

it might enhance your experience ;)

Quangle Thu 05-Jun-14 17:49:42

boo - missed it. I loved Boy with the Topknot so much I had to track down Sathnam Sanghera's email address to tell him how great I thought it was. And he replied, really nicely smile

TroyMcClure Thu 05-Jun-14 17:51:08

he's a very nice boy.
Despite everything wink

EnglishRose1320 Tue 10-Jun-14 10:04:36

Just arrived in the post, looking forward to reading it!

keriku Tue 10-Jun-14 18:10:59

My copy arrived today, as soon as I finish my current book, I will devour it! Thanks, mumsnet

ILikeWarmHugs Wed 11-Jun-14 21:30:13

Received the book, will post when I've read it.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 11-Jun-14 22:22:06

Received mine today ... thank you mumsnet!!

funkydiva80 Wed 11-Jun-14 22:24:27

Received mine yesterday will post a review once I have read it - thanks mumsnet I never get selected for anything!!

MovingBack Thu 12-Jun-14 08:30:39

I received my copy in the post on Tuesday, thank you so much. I devoured the book - everything came to a halt until I finished it on Wednesday afternoon!!!

I absolutely loved this book - the story, the characters, the setting, the span of time it covered (the 1970s bits particularly), the way it was written (very funny and very moving).

Highly recommended - I've just given it 5 stars on my Goodreads page and will be telling everyone to read it smile

JimmyCorkhill Sun 15-Jun-14 10:48:14

Got my copy - thank you sooooooo much. I haven't finished it but it is great. Really well written. Such detail for the characters and the settings. If you enjoyed The Buddha of Suburbia and/or White Teeth it is similar to those. Top marks so far.

yummum120 Mon 16-Jun-14 15:00:17

Thank you for the book. I found the beginning quite slow and boring but then after a while it gets interesting. Parts of it made me LOL. I think overall it was a good read. I liked the year it was based around as those years was quite significant to myself, it gave me a insight of what was happening around that time.

keriku Mon 16-Jun-14 19:46:46

This is a very interesting book on what it means to be Asian growing up in our society in the second half of the 20th century. It is the first time, I have ever read a book written by an Asian. Bits of it are hilarious, while others are heartbreaking. It covers the racism the family endure in England, but also how they themselves feel towards other cultures and castes. I felt that there was a chunk missing between the second last and final chapters. A book about how the secrets and lies of life tie families down and the pressures the family members feel to conform. I loved how each chapter was named after a magazine or paper eg Bunty or Jackie. Well worth a read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now