Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Love, Lies and Lemon Pies by Katy Cannon

(15 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-May-14 13:06:09

Enter our giveaway for Love, Lies and Lemon Pies, the debut YA novel from Katy Cannon. Since her dad died, life hasn't been the same for 16-year-old Lottie. When the school suggests she joins Bake Club to get her back on track, Lottie reluctantly agrees. But Lottie's uncertainty about Bake Club melts away as she rekindles her love of baking, and things 'hot up' in the kitchen with school rebel Mac. As tensions rise, keeping up the lies is not as easy as it seems. With a recipe at the start of each chapter, impress family and friends with your baking creations. You can download the recipe card for delicious chocolate chip cookies now.

Apply for a free copy now, we will post on the thread once all the copies have gone. Please come back to this thread and tell us what you thought of the book, or you can post a review.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Little Tiger Press.

TracyKNixon Tue 13-May-14 18:02:32

Great review thank you!

cornflakegirl Sat 17-May-14 20:53:32

I think my goddaughter would enjoy this book. She likes baking and is starting to get into YA books and enjoy more grown up themes.

cornflakegirl Sat 17-May-14 20:53:32

I think my goddaughter would enjoy this book. She likes baking and is starting to get into YA books and enjoy more grown up themes.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 19-May-14 18:14:14

Have applied for a copy, fingers crossed. Dd will love this book. smile

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 20-May-14 10:16:09

This giveaway is now closed. We will inform those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please feel free to come back and let us know your thoughts on this thread or you can post a review.

amber64 Tue 20-May-14 10:47:24

Very pleased to be receiving a copy, my daughter will absolutely love it! Thank you

frazzledbutcalm Tue 20-May-14 21:48:24

I've been lucky enough to be chosen! Can't wait to give it to my daughters!

MamaMummyMum Tue 27-May-14 11:16:05

Just got our copy through the post, my eldest daughter and I are both looking forward to reading this.

MamaMummyMum Fri 30-May-14 17:14:36

I have to say I really enjoyed this, I've just passed it on to my 8 year old to read now. A good easy read. Funny and sweet and the added recipes are a lovely touch.

cornflakegirl Sat 31-May-14 21:38:25

Thanks for this book. I read it first to check it wasn't too old for my goddaughter - so my Parental Guidance spoilers would be: it tackles the themes of grief and dementia, but both in a fairly light way. There is a central romantic theme but they don't go beyond snogging, although the potential of more is briefly alluded to.

I also liked the book. It is a fairly light read - chick lit for YA. It follows the developing friendships of a group of Y11 students who have joined a new Bake Club, and explores the secrets they each have. There are some touching moments, and having a recipe at the start of each chapter is nice. It's much, much better than some of the rubbish I used to read (Sweet Valley High anyone?). But if I were to compare it with a Jacqueline Wilson, then the characters don't feel as well written, and the plot lines tie up a bit too neatly.

However, as a gentle introduction to more grown up books, I think it does quite well. I've passed it on to my goddaughter and I expect she'll enjoy it. I'll post her review when she has read it.

sallyc06 Mon 02-Jun-14 10:15:28

I so love this book, I gave it to my granddaughter and she loves it too, so novel with recipes as well as a fab story. Well done Katy on a lovely book

HazelDormouse Mon 09-Jun-14 11:27:13

Thank you for this lovely book. I really should have out grown YA chick lit. However, I really enjoyed it. Just enough complications for the characters to face to make it an interesting read, but not too many to overwhelm the target audience. Excellent read for a young teenager.

Having a recipe at the start of each chapter was a great idea for encouraging young people to bake. I also liked the idea of the competition tie in at the end of the book. I wonder how much publicity the competition has been given in schools/youth groups. Not sure I want to pass it on with such delicious (and straightforward) recipes inside.

Leeds2 Wed 18-Jun-14 17:48:42

I gave it to my 16 year old to read, as she is the age of the main protagonists in the book, and has also recently developed an interest in baking. She enjoyed it, although said that she felt it was for younger readers than her. She thought it was a good idea to have a recipe at the start of each chapter, and that baking remained the main theme of the book even though there were a lot of other things going on eg romance, family issues etc.

I also enjoyed reading it, although it was very predictable!

CarolLesley Mon 23-Jun-14 19:40:40

Thanks Mumsnet for the free copy. My 15 year old is enjoying it - she says it is not a challenging read, but has kept her interested. She enjoys baking and all things Bake Off related, so likes the recipes - I am hoping she will cook something. I am next on the list to read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now