Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet,

Book giveaway: The Lie by Helen Dunmore

(24 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-May-14 14:18:47

We're giving away 50 copies of heart-wrenching novel The Lie from bestselling author and poet Helen Dunmore, who won the inaugural Orange Prize for A Spell of Winter. Helen's work is continuously praised on the talk boards; one Mumsnetter described her Orange Prize shortlisted novel The Siege as 'really, really good[...]the writing is fantastic'.Set during and just after the First World War, The Lie follows one young man's struggles with loss as he remembers the horrors of his past. He is about to step into the unknown. But will he ever be able to escape the terrible, unforeseen consequences of a lie?

Watch the book trailer and apply for a free copy now. We will post on the thread once all the copies have gone. Please come back to this thread and tell us what you thought of the book, or you can post a review.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Windmill Books.

DuchessofMalfi Tue 06-May-14 19:30:22

Have applied. Fingers crossed - absolutely my kind of book. I know DH would love to read this too.

makeminea6x Tue 06-May-14 19:33:35

Me too. Love HD, especially The Siege and it's sequel.

BOFster Tue 06-May-14 19:34:00

Right up my street- fingers crossed.

noscat Thu 08-May-14 08:40:12

I LOVE Helen Dunmore, her poetry is wonderful too. Have read all of her books so hoping for a copy of The Lie.

frazzledbutcalm Thu 08-May-14 14:31:55

Have applied, fingers crossed smile
Not my usual type of book, but I'd like to broaden my horizons wink

FreeSpirit89 Thu 08-May-14 23:27:53

Have applied. Fingers crossed x

eve394 Tue 13-May-14 20:33:59

Would love to win. Fingers crossed

EverythingCounts Tue 13-May-14 20:37:54

Yes please!

EverythingCounts Tue 13-May-14 21:19:13

I clicked on the link at 20.38 and it said the form was private. Has it closed early?

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-May-14 09:47:59

Hi there, this giveaway closed at 10am Tuesday 13 May. We will inform those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. We would love you to let us know your thoughts on the book on this thread, or you can post a review.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 19-May-14 17:54:50

Thank you for my copy - it arrived today. Didn't get an email to say it was coming though, so was complete surprise grin. Am planning to take it with me to read on holiday next week.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 19-May-14 18:17:29

Received my copy today, thank you! I didn't get an email either so it was a lovely surprise!

noscat Tue 20-May-14 08:34:33

Got one, very exciting (no email though?) Reading it now, will post back as soon as I have finished. Thank you very much smile

noscat Wed 28-May-14 08:32:25

Anyone else read the book? I'm worried about posting a review here in case of spoilers, but would be interesting in discussing what other people thought.

noscat Wed 28-May-14 08:59:11

Have posted a review smile

DuchessofMalfi Wed 28-May-14 15:10:39

I finished reading it this afternoon. Didn't want to put it down. It was an absolute pleasure to read. Thank you to MN for my copy. Will write review also and post on Goodreads as well.

weathermum Thu 29-May-14 17:47:16

thankyou for the book I am about halfway through...its so very sad but really well written with such thoughtfulness...would the writter like it to be made into a film?

RuthPat76 Sat 31-May-14 13:32:53

I read this book in one sitting! Beautifully written and very absorbing. The narrative is slightly confusing as it jumps backwards and forwards in time with no obvious change of tone or setting. However this would be appropriate for the "shell shocked" Danny's frame of mind. It is well worth a read but not if you need a happy ending. I won't spoil but have to say the ending left me with more questions than answers - no tears but no smiles either. Intense and thought provoking.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 31-May-14 17:00:33

I thought it very moving. An intensely emotional depiction of how war destroys the lives even of those who survive, and those who are left behind.

Thinking about the tale my mother told me about her mother's brothers who fought in WW1. Five went, two were killed, one survived unscathed, and the remaining two had their lives destroyed - mustard gas, shell shock. Neither made it to old age. I find I am drawn to novels about WW1 for that reason, and I thought as I was reading it how was Danny going to survive this? Don't want to plot spoil either, but the ending wasn't a surprise.

marion5 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:55:42

i would love the chance to read and review this book

mumtooneson Sun 15-Jun-14 11:43:05

This is a beautifully written story based in Cornwall but with the central character, Daniel, having flashbacks to the horrors of the trenches in World War 1 and his earlier childhood. The characters were engaging and credible although I found the ending predictable. It took me quite a while to read the book as I didn’t find it a page turner.

weathermum Mon 23-Jun-14 20:03:30

Not really sure yet about this book...I have read a few chapters and found it very sad but absorbing ..sadly it was interupted I intend going back to it tonight ...thank you for the free copy

Andrews55 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:48:38

This story was beautifully written, but what a bleak and tragic tale. It's hardly credible that people were living in such poverty. A very thought provoking book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now