PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Murder Bag by Tony Parsons

(25 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-Apr-14 14:39:54

Step this way crime lovers! Man and Boy author Tony Parsons has dipped his toe into the grimy underworld of London in the first in a new explosive and gripping crime series. Author Lee Child's says: "Spectacular! Tense but human, fast but authentic – maybe this is what Tony Parsons should have been doing all along." Will you agree? If you'd like to read and review Tony's latest, skip through to our book giveaway page and find out how more about the book and how to apply for one of fifty free copies. If you're allocated a book, don't forget to come back and discuss the book on this thread or post up a review.

whatwoulddexterdo Thu 24-Apr-14 19:25:18

Done. Thank you. Love his books.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 25-Apr-14 05:49:32

Applied. Fingers crossed. Love crime novels but haven't read any of his. Here's hoping ... smile

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Apr-14 11:14:14

This giveaway is now closed. We will notify those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please feel free to discuss the book here on this thread. Happy Reading!

Xenadog Wed 30-Apr-14 15:33:27

Thanks for choosing me to receive a copy of this. I love crime fiction, enjoy Tony Parsons so can't wait to receive it and then get stuck in!

frazzledbutcalm Wed 30-Apr-14 17:50:43

Just had an email saying I'm receiving a copy! Thank you mumsnet!! I'm excited! smile

mum2jakie Wed 30-Apr-14 20:50:47

Been lucky enough to be selected for a copy too. Sounds good. Thanks Mumsnet.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 30-Apr-14 21:01:38

I didn't apply for this as I cannot abide him - xenophobic individual

porcito Thu 01-May-14 22:00:46

Thanks mumsnet, me too. Excited to get a copy!

yasmin0147 Sat 03-May-14 19:19:36

This is such an exciting read, already feel engrosed in the story, so scary i think ill leave the light on.... Haha. Not read it all the way through yet, but i really reccomend this book. So far i give it 5 out of 5.

ireadnovels Sun 04-May-14 17:10:31

I think this book The Murder Bag sounds a fab thriller. I would love a copy to review on mums net. Never read a book by Tony Parsons before.

mum2jakie Tue 06-May-14 19:54:11

Mine arrived today and have read a good chunk of it already! So far, so good.

lasttothebar Wed 07-May-14 10:53:23

Thank you received my copy todaysmile

Alchemist Wed 07-May-14 10:57:06

Thank you for my copy, have just started it this morning.

gimcrack Wed 07-May-14 19:51:50

Many thanks for my copy. Really enjoyed reading it - up there with Jo Nesbo.

I love a good thriller, and was a bit dubious that Tony Parsons had strayed into this territory. But I was very pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommend it.

Cupcakemommom Wed 07-May-14 22:05:17

I've received my copy and based upon what I've read so far looks like a fantastic read.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 07-May-14 22:29:11

Received my copy today ... thank you mumsnet!! smile

cavylover Sun 11-May-14 20:38:37

Very well written whodunnit novel which kept me guessing throughout with its various twists and turns. I liked the setting of the story and mention of the main character's home life as a single parent living near Smithfield with a young daughter and dog which fleshed out the character.

I would recommend this book which is a real page turner and can easily see it being turned into a tv series and notice there is already a follow up being written.

porcito Mon 12-May-14 04:34:49

Received my copy yesterday, fantastic so far! (Though not helping with the sleepless nights!) Fully engrossed.

WhitegoldWielder Thu 15-May-14 09:24:12

Thank you mumsnet - looking forward to this!

Alchemist Mon 19-May-14 06:10:18

What a cracking read!

Max Wolfe is an engaging character and the story was well-paced and kept me interested. I will buy the next book.

As I have recently gained a puppy, the gravestone words got me:

^Brothers and sisters,
I bid you beware
Of giving your heart
To a dog to tear.^

thanks

AugustRose Thu 22-May-14 14:08:05

Thank you for my copy of this book, I love crime thriller's so was excited to read a different author.

There seemed to be a lot of padding in the first chapter or so but it definitely picked up with a good pace and was easy to read. You warm to the main character quite quickly and there were some good twists.

As a first crime novel and something completely different to what Tony Parsons has written before it is a success, if a little predictable. I will definitely look out for the next book - only one thing please don't be quite so obsessed with the X5 next time.

Thanks again.

WhitegoldWielder Sun 25-May-14 12:22:42

I have read a couple of his books previously and find they are easy and fast reads with interesting characters if a little bit 'laddish'.

The Murder Bag starts with a cliche of violence which initially put me off as I have read so many of this type of genre (Jeffrey Deaver, Patricia Cornwell and Karin Slaughter) who all do this so much better. However I did read on and the book's strength lies in its main character DC Max Wolfe, a single parent still grieving for his lost relationship and family unit whilst still doing his job using all his abilities.

The plot is fast paced with many characters that could've been fleshed out. There are twists aplenty although people familiar with this type of book will be able to jump to correct conclusions most of the time. For some reason I was not entirely happy with the ending although there were no loose threads - it read more as a screenplay than a book.

I will pass this on to family and friends and I would like to read the next in the series if the opportunity arises - more of a would read than a should read?

Thanks again MN

frazzledbutcalm Mon 02-Jun-14 18:24:01

I've only read a few chapters so far but I'm really enjoying this book! Will post more when I'm finished.
Thank you mumsnet!!

justmuddlingalong Thu 12-Jun-14 14:28:26

I finished this book last night. It was quite a good story, but I found parts of it very predictable. Max Wolfe was a character I warmed to, but the story as a whole just didn't gel for me. Thank you for the opportunity to read this. I love a good crime novel, but don't think Tony Parsons style of writing is for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now