PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: I Love Mum by Joanna Walsh and Judi Abbot

(15 Posts)
debjani Mon 07-Jul-14 12:44:04

I passed this on to my 3 year old nephew after glancing at it first: the rhymes and storyline seemed to be lacking a bit. His mum said she thought it was a bit soppy and sort of cute but perhaps better suited for girls. He lost interest after the first few pages, perhaps because there wasn't enough of a story line to hold his interest.

youwish Tue 22-Apr-14 19:07:15

As others on this thread,beautiful looking book but not very well written,too sentimental for me,didn't enjoy reading it out.

youwish Tue 22-Apr-14 19:07:06

As others on this thread,beautiful looking book but not very well written,too sentimental for me,didn't enjoy reading it out.

agoodbookandsomefizz Tue 22-Apr-14 19:01:23

Thank you for my copy of the book :-) Both my children love it and point excitedly to all the cute illustrations. However, similar to the other comments, I find it hard to read as it is wordy and doesn't flow very easily...some of the language I find strange too! This doesn't stop me from reading it every night though!

shrunkenhead Sat 19-Apr-14 00:55:48

This book is quite lovely, beautiful illustrations, however does ignore the role of fathers and is not as well written as the Biggest Kiss which we loved. A nice book, just clumsily written.

BusyMum101 Thu 17-Apr-14 12:42:48

This book has the most gorgeous illustrations. We enjoy making up different stories based on the different background characters/animals. Our LO (18 mths) demanded that we read the book to her 3 times in a row, it is such a hit. One slight quibble is that the text (whilst poetic) can be a bit of a tongue twister to read. Not sure we love that aspect of the book as feel it may be quite challenging for younger readers to master

QueenYnci Wed 16-Apr-14 10:58:47

Thank you so much for the book, we received it on Monday. The book is beautifully illustrated which attracted my DS to it instantly. But despite liking the previous books (The Biggest Kiss and The Perfect Hug) I did find the book was a little bit too sentimental for my taste. I suspect I'll be asked to read it again though as DS loved the tigers!

WingDefence Mon 14-Apr-14 21:09:04

My DD has just received this book for her birthday and I'd not seen it before so this thread has prompted me to pick it up and read.

Not my type of book, I'm afraid. Not least because it completely ignores the role a dad can play! If I read it to my DC it'll feel like I'm saying " look, mummy is so much better than daddy" and I can't imagine my DH would want to read it either.

Shame - I doubt it'll be read at all (once, twice perhaps).

missorinoco Mon 14-Apr-14 20:53:54

This is a very beautiful book. Ds aged 3 loved it, and wanted it again. I found it to be an example of all the things children want their mothers to do, and I don't do. Might just have been my mood.

I prefer the style of book where they think the parent is a super hero, very strong and tall and clever etc etc, when the parent is clearly just an ordinary parent but is seen through the eyes of the child.

But Thankyou MN. I genuinely appreciate the books I receive from giveaways. I just didn't want to post a sycophantic comment for the sake of it.

justmuddlingalong Mon 14-Apr-14 13:12:54

Thank you for the copy of I Love Mum! What a really beautiful book. It has a lovely cover and looks interesting. The illustrations are bright and colourful, the wording is fun. This book encourages conversation about activities we've done or will do. And you will be guaranteed a big hug at the end of the book. This book is bound to become a favourite.

Arriaga Sat 12-Apr-14 10:52:40

Woohoo! Thanks Mumsnet and Simon and Schuster for my free copy! Just came through the post now and read it with my 4-year-old and we both loved it. Such a lovely picture book with beautiful illustrations and very sweet story about how fab mums are. My little boy said he wants to read it again at bedtime :-) Would make a nice mother's day or birthday present for mum. I am going to order the other books (The Perfect Hug and The Biggest Kiss) too! Thanks again Mumsnet!

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 31-Mar-14 10:11:11

This giveaway is now closed. We will inform those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please continue to discuss the book and post your feedback on this thread.

shrunkenhead Wed 26-Mar-14 14:26:00

Done! We loved the Biggest Kiss and this looks like another winner too!

Yummymummies Wed 26-Mar-14 08:22:40

Done!

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Mar-14 12:59:04

With Mother's Day fast approaching, we've got 50 copies of the wonderful picture book I Love Mum up for grabs, an ideal gift to read with your little ones.

Celebrating all the things mums do for us, this is the latest creation from Joanna Walsh and Judi Abbot, the talented team behind The Perfect Hug and The Biggest Kiss. As we follow the two tiger cubs and their mum on a fun-filled day out, this heart-warming story is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Apply for a free copy, then come back and let us know what you think, or you can post a review of I Love Mum.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Simon & Schuster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now