Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: the Legend of the Frog by Guy Bass

(32 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Feb-14 14:54:46

This week we have fifty copies of Guy Bass' The Legends of the Frog to giveaway.

A mash-up of fairy tale, fantasy and science fiction with a hearty helping of humour, The Legend of Frog is the first book in a brand new three-part series by award-winning and best-selling author, Guy Bass (Stitch Head and Stitch Head: The Pirate's Eye).

Apply for one of 50 free copies here and then join this thread to discuss the book or post a review.

This book giveaway is sponsored by Stripes Publishing.

Mogz Mon 24-Feb-14 20:20:18

Looks awesome, hope I get a copy I need something fun to read.

CloserLook Tue 25-Feb-14 09:58:18

Yes please! This looks like just my kind of book.

Ujjayi Tue 25-Feb-14 10:05:13

Looks like the perfect book for my 9 year old DS. He loves science fiction but loves a good giggle too!

HammeringBird Tue 25-Feb-14 17:45:34

This looks like fun. I hadn't heard of the author before, but have just gone and bought one of his other books as they sound like something my DS would like to have read to him.

TeenAndTween Wed 26-Feb-14 16:00:35

Guy Bass' writing is excellent, the children enjoy the books and they are also enjoyable as an adult listening too.
He came and talked at my DD's junior school and the children were all buzzing afterwards.
His writing has helped move my DD on from Horrid Henry, and she is planning to dress up as Stitch Head (y4/y5 level) for world book day.

lettysmith21 Thu 27-Feb-14 18:02:44

This looks kike a great book! would enjoy reading this to my son.

Goldendandelion Sat 01-Mar-14 15:50:16

This looks like just the sort of book my boys would enjoy.

AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Mar-14 10:12:58

This giveaway is now closed. We will notify those who have been selected to receive a free copy via email. Please feel free to discuss the book here and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Fab66 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:51:56

Thank you for the book, looking forward to receive it and read it for my kids.

nick71074 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:59:36

WOW been chosen to receive a free copy I can wait to read it with my son he will love it look FANTASTIC.
xxx

MrsLoada Tue 04-Mar-14 20:34:10

Fantastic I've been chosen, looking forward to reading it and I hope dc will enjoy it too

lettysmith21 Fri 07-Mar-14 10:13:55

Just recieved my copy! Cant wait to show my 8 year oldwhen he comes home. I think we are going to enjoy this! Thank you.

Ujjayi Fri 07-Mar-14 13:55:20

Book arrived today! Thank you smile Looking forward to reading it with my 9 year old this weekend.

barricade Sun 09-Mar-14 17:30:53

Many, many thanks for sending me a copy of this book.
"The Legend Of Frog" by Guy Bass is a light, fun & humorous read, infusing fantasy and fairy tale, with a dollop of science fiction added for good measure.
The book is presented in a delightful way, with a red foil-embossed cover, crisp, cartoon illustrations by Dynamo, diary/scrap-book extracts, and a 'parchment-like' page border design. Similar to books like "The Spiderwick Chronicles", "The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid", and "The Great Pet-Shop Panic", these design elements significantly enhance the reading experience.
The text itself is, at times, very immature - but in a good way. After all, there's no doubt that this book is intended for adolescents, containing the sophomoric humour of modern-day kids. The first book in an intended trilogy, the story is perfect of reluctant young readers of both gender, and will no doubt leave them wanting more.

grin)

caponier Mon 10-Mar-14 18:01:47

Delightful story of Frog and his journey to the End of the World. Full of action, aliens and animals where young readers can use their imagination.
The characters are fanciful and the story a mixture of fable and science fiction. Youngsters aged 8 -12 will enjoy his adventures and the characters he meets on the way - and the author's humour!

BroodyMe Mon 10-Mar-14 19:31:32

The Legend of Frog is a fantastic read for youngsters, I'd say it is probably best for seven to ten year old children. The main character is, of course, Frog who happens to be a prince. The Legend of Frog is the first of what will be three books and it's a mixture of a fairy tale, science fiction, fantasy and comedy.

The Legend of Frog, written by Guy Bass, is action packed the entire way through as Frog travels to the end of the world for proof that he is indeed a prince. There's a princess who tries to thwart Frog's attempts at proving his princeliness, a sheep that is quite a hindrance too, there's an alien invasion and so many more adventures along the way.

I particularly like the artwork in The Legend of Frog, to me it is just begging to be coloured in though I don't suppose you're meant to! My seven year old daughter really enjoyed reading this book and can't wait to read the next two, my other two daughters are both keen to read it as well.

I, a 39 year old woman, have the humour of an 8 year old! legend of frog was very funny, the characters were natural and the dialogue fitted their age perfectly.
It was an enjoyable read, with a good plot that made a great opening gambit to the three part trilogy.
Action packed and fast paced, I think it will hold children's attention well (I have a 4 and 6 year old, but it may be a little too much for them at this stage, however 4 year old dd was intrigued by the princess on the front, so you never know).
Great book, great plot and characters, lovely illustrations.

HammeringBird Tue 11-Mar-14 14:38:57

received my copy at the weekend and can't wait to get reading.

Lovely book thank you!. My 12 year old son is reading it at the mo and loves it...my 10 year old is looking forward to reading it next smile

500internalerror Tue 11-Mar-14 21:11:02

Omg!!!!! Ds1 has just started reading this to me - and we both had tears streaming & cramps from laughing!! Why haven't I heard of guy bass before? sad

So, after 6 pages, we give it 100% already!

debjani Thu 13-Mar-14 11:53:16

My DD (aged 11) read this book in one go; she says: Thank you for sending a copy of this book. I found it a bit slow at the beginning,there could have been more suspense as Frog sets out on his journey. I also think Guy Bass could have described things in more detail- however he did use interesting words. Funnily enough, his other books I think are more exciting than this one. Although a some reviews said it was funny I didn't find it very funny,really (Idon't particularly like his humour). A particular character (who I won't say because it will spoil the story) could have been a bit more funnier and less shouty and moody.The illustrations are quite good. I like the way the pages are done like parchment paper! Overall, it was quite a fun read but I was expecting better.

weathermum Thu 13-Mar-14 17:07:59

This is a great book for a 10 year old I have been reading it to check it out..Written in a language for that age group ..funny with lovely drawings and well presented..many thanks for the copy it will do the rounds so will be well read.

CloserLook Fri 14-Mar-14 10:24:45

A good book that has potential to develop into a great series. I passed it on to my 11 year old nephew and he really enjoyed it and wants to read the next one now!

From reading through it myself first I thought the illustrations and the presentation were very well done. Perfect for the age group it's aimed at and even had me laughing a few times. My only criticism is it could have done with a bit more of a build up in the first few chapters, maybe even making the book a bit longer.

Thank you for sending us a copy, it's gone down extremely well!

500internalerror Mon 17-Mar-14 20:06:15

Ds has almost finished it; he's read a lot aloud to me - we love Sheriff Explosion & the way Frog gets called a goblin a lot - it's just the right kind of funny!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now