Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Chu's Day by Neil Gaiman

(31 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Feb-14 13:03:07

Our second book giveaway for half term week is Chu's Day by the wonderful Neil Gaiman.

Chu is a very cute panda who spends the day trying to avoid sneezing. The book is perfect combo of Neil Gaiman's humour and Adam Rex's truly beautiful illlustrations. It's aimed at pre-schoolers, but will be equally relished by older children and adults and is bound to be one of those books that you're happy to read over and over.

Apply for a free copy and come back to let us know what you think Or post up a review.

This book giveaway has been sponsored by Bloomsbury

AnneOfGreenGarbles Thu 03-Apr-14 16:12:48

What a lovely picture book. The pictures are very detailed - almost like a painting. This meant my nearly 2 year old could spend ages looking through the book with us and pointing out all of the animals. The storyline, although simple, was fun to read as we pretended to almost sneeze on most pages!

We've had a bit of a Panda thing going on here, so I was pleased to be able to add Shu's Day into the mix. My Monkey is 4, and he thought it was really funny. Yes, it's true that there aren't many words. But actually we found that the illustrations spoke volumes and gave us lots to talk about. Monkey thought it was brilliant that Chu's sneeze was so big it had derailed the steam train.
It's not our favourite picture book, but it's quite funny.

SHORTMAN Fri 21-Mar-14 17:55:35

Received my free book. Thank you so much. I have posted a full review in the review section.

SG1976 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:09:58

A modern classic book for reading to 1 to 5 year olds. The illustrations are wonderful and the storyline is brilliant in its simplicity. A book you'll want to keep and read againa and again....

AugustRose Mon 17-Mar-14 08:33:50

Thank you for our book. I too was a bit surprised at how few words there were and my DD2 (7) was disappointed there was only 1 sneeze at the end, however my DS2 (3) enjoyed joining in with the sneezing noises. The illustrations are wonderful and there are lots of animals in odd situations to look for so although it's a short book, it won't be a short read IYSWIM.

AugustRose Fri 14-Mar-14 16:53:01

I have got it now - DH has just discovered it in the coal bunker! I don't know how long it has been there as the postie hadn't bothered to put a card through the door.

Will let you know what we think.

lukins66 Fri 14-Mar-14 09:55:06

Thank you so much for this lovely book! The illustrations are wonderful, with a very retro feel. My little 2yr old loves it. She really enjoys exploring every page & pointing to the different animals she can name. Delightfully simple story which works so well. Great enjoyment also fom my 12yr old who delivers the sneezes with great expression to his little sister!! This book & Chu have already become a family favourite! Thank you x

AugustRose Thu 13-Mar-14 20:12:44

Sorry I can't review this book as we didn't receive our copy sad would you be able to find out why please.

Lovely book!!!!!!!!!! thank you smile

FunMeFit Tue 11-Mar-14 14:23:30

Firstly, thank you for the book. I think it's hard or us parents to understand sometimes why a book or children would need so little in terms of words but it was lovely to see that my son (who's 3) was filling in all of the gaps - asking questions, explaining what all the animals were doing and Copying Chu's responses. He loves it, so I love it. There aren't enough books that allow children to personally create extra ideas and added thoughts. Thanks

Lent1l Tue 11-Mar-14 11:47:13

We've now had this book for a few days and read it through several times. Already my two year old joins in the Aaaaachoooooo!

There was less of a story than I expected but our two year old seems to enjoy the story such as it is. I think if I'd bought it I would be disappointed by how short the story is.

The illustrations are lovely.

cornflakegirl Mon 10-Mar-14 20:50:44

Ooh ooh oooooooh! That would be brilliant. We love Fortunately the Milk too - very funny book.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Mar-14 10:57:42

cornflakegirl

Oh and MNHQ - any chance of a webchat or Q and A? I'd love to know how Neil and Adam worked together on the book? (Or possibly not if Ray's hypothesis is correct!)

Well funnily enough.... we are talking to Bloomsbury at the moment about the possibility of NG joining us for a webchat when Fortunately the Milk comes out in paperback in June. We'll keep you posted.

cornflakegirl Sat 08-Mar-14 21:45:18

Oh and MNHQ - any chance of a webchat or Q and A? I'd love to know how Neil and Adam worked together on the book? (Or possibly not if Ray's hypothesis is correct!)

Alidoll Sat 08-Mar-14 17:42:33

Received a copy of Chu's Day last week. Four year old daughter liked the book but though it was very short with not a lot happening. The illustrations are lovely but not enough to make this book one of her top ten I'm afraid.

cornflakegirl Sat 08-Mar-14 16:58:42

I was hoping that we'd love this book and I wasn't disappointed. The story is pleasingly surreal and I love the fact that nothing really happens and nothing is explained. I also love the joke in the title, that I completely didn't get until DS2 pointed it out.

The illustrations are gorgeous - so much detail, so many animals, such rich colour. I love Chu's goggles. And the snail that appears on a lot of the pages.

Another great thing about the simple story is that DS2 (who is in reception and I think a fairly average reader) will soon be able to read it by himself. In fact, I might have to buy a copy for his class.

I'm not sure that DS2 loves the book for the same reasons as me, but he does love it, especially the huge sneeze. Although he's a bit freaked by the baboon for some reason! But he wants to read it again and again, and I'm more than happy to oblige. He says that he gives the book 100 stars and I think I probably agree. More like this please!

RayPurchase Fri 07-Mar-14 18:45:01

I thought the actual story was pants, I reckon NG wrote it while sitting on the toilet tbh. But the illustrations were beautiful and DS (4) can read it to himself and remembers the "Ahh Ahh no!" parts. Really attractive book but could have done with an actual ending.

a beautifully illustrated book, the pictures were the main interest. dc thought the story was funny, it is obviously aimed at someone slightly younger than him but he said he doesn't mind because it makes him laugh and the pictures are great.

filthycute Fri 07-Mar-14 16:51:37

OUr copy arrived yesterday, absolutely love the illustrations, we spent more time identifying all the animals than just reading the story. Its a really fun read, lots of chance to interact. I did think that there could be more to the story, after the big Sneeze!

pennwood Fri 07-Mar-14 13:59:47

An excellent book for pre school children, with lots of bright colours, animals to spot, & joining in with ....'Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.' Two year old Amelia really enjoyed it, and there was minimal story so concentration was great for the short period. She wanted it to be read to her again and again so in my opinion a really good book.

CloserLook Fri 07-Mar-14 12:30:50

The cover is bright and cheerful and Chu is adorable. The illustrations are very well done and there are lots different animals to spot. Very simple story with surprisingly few words but my son enjoys saying 'ah..ahh...ahhh......no' whenever we get to that bit of the book.

Thank you for letting us try this lovely book!

MrsRedWhite214 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:38:13

I was quite surprised by how few words there were in the book. There were plenty of pictures to talk around with lots of animals to name which my son enjoyed.

NoWomanNoCry Fri 07-Mar-14 11:34:38

Thank you for our free copy, the book arrived yesterday. This is a lovely and simple book which my children enjoyed reading themselves. The illustrations are also beautiful. Simple but very good!

Leeds2 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:52:11

A lovely book. Very simple storyline, but beautifully detailed illustrations which provide lots to talk about. Great to read aloud.

Thank you from me too!

Wow! what a lovely book, my little boy loves it. Such gorgeous illustrations. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now