PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Mums on Strike by Laura Kemp

(95 Posts)
AliceMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Feb-14 12:39:12

We have 50 copies of Mums On Strike up for grabs. A dispute over a squashed grape on the floor tips Laura over the edge and she decides to go on strike. Author of Mums Like Us, Laura Kemp's latest is described as a 'fun, witty novel novel about what it's like when an ordinary mum has had enough'.

Find out more about the book, Laura Kemp and apply for a free copy. We'll let you know next week if you've been chosen to receive a free copy. Come back and let us know what you think on this thread, or post up a review.

This book giveaway has been sponsored by Random House UK.

Xenadog Mon 03-Mar-14 10:58:23

My review:

Mums on Strike is chick lit for the 30-something mum who has looked at her lot in life and realised that in "settling down" she has "settled for." The main character of Lisa (Lees) is just such a woman who realises that there is more to life than being a super mother and wife - her value isn't in how clean her kitchen work tops are but in her relationships with her children, husband, friends and extended family. The only way she will have the time and energy for these, along with developing herself educationally, is through relinquishing some control over the daily grind (or drudgery) of being a housewife.

I like the characters, they were generally fairly well developed and the use of coincidences, whilst a bit predictable, did help the plot to gallop along. The outcome was a given and parts of the plot were fairly obvious. The strength of the novel is the protagonist learned that she had had a huge part in the making of her role as house drudge; she accepted she enjoyed being in control and wore her martyrdom like a badge of honour. I am sure that will speak to many people.

Mums on Strike is a nice bit of escapism and worth a read.

HazelDormouse Mon 03-Mar-14 20:06:27

Thank you for my copy of this 'easy to read' book. I would suggest in order to enjoy it, however, there must be a suspension of disbelief, especially in relation to the ending and the involvement of the media. It did make me realise how lucky I am to have a husband who does his appropriate share.

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 03-Mar-14 21:26:24

I really enjoyed Mums on strike, it was an easy read and enjoyable enough. I've actually passed my copy onto a friend. It's a recognisable plot for most women of a certain age or I should say parents of kids of a certain age. I enjoyed the central theme, life is what you make it and you do have the power to effect change.

Defiantly worth a few quid of your money I would say.

iwanttoscream Wed 05-Mar-14 09:28:18

My kids said you can't go on strike, when i opened the package. I can relate to this book and i'm sure it will end up a best seller. I feel like going on strike, but it would cause chaos! So when dh dropped a teabag on the floor, it stayed there for several days as i refused to pick it up!
I'm also being tougher on the kids as well.
I'm nearly halfway through so far, so will post again once finished.

chrisrobin Wed 05-Mar-14 22:51:28

I enjoyed reading Mums on Strike, thank you for the copy of the book.
It was a lovely light read that was amusing in places. I could, unfortunately, sympathise a little with the plight of Lisa and have also done the 'leave item on floor to see how long it takes for DH to pick it up' test (weeks, was the answer!), but my DH is a lot better at pulling his weight with the children. The story flowed well, although a little far fetched in places, and there was a happy-ever-after ending. All the characters had grown over the course of the book and even Lisa realised that she was making herself into a martyr at times. The chapter with the camping holiday and the exchange between Lisa and her sister-in-law was refreshing and showed a more in depth side to the 2 main characters.
Many thanks again.

SweetieXPie Sat 08-Mar-14 23:02:12

Just finished this book, thank you for my copy, I agree with others, very easy to read book, found myself looking forward to getting to bed so I could have a 10 - 20 minute read before I go to sleep.
It was a bit far fetched in the end, but to be fair went along with the tone of the book and rounded it off nicely. Would definitely recommend.

TheAmyrlin Sun 09-Mar-14 15:58:19

Thank you for the book.
It was a perfect bit of easy escapism! It was a bit far-fetched in parts, but it did make me realise how lucky I am with my DH!

BlackSusie2004 Mon 10-Mar-14 05:46:19

I found Laura Kemp's 'Mums on Strike' to be a really witty, funny book, but with a message that perhaps men need to take note of, not that I think a lot of them will be reading the book!
It was easy to read, and relatable for me, so it was nice to know I'm not on my own.
The storyline is, perhaps, a little simple, but it is good for a little bit of time-out and 'chill' time.
Lisa's husband, Adam, does actually see the error of his ways in the end, so it's a bit of a fairy tale!

FabBakerGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 15:21:51

These were my initial notes when I started reading Mums on Strike.
Bit try too hard
Same as other books.
Mother definitely too annoying at first as the author puts in too much psycho-babble.
Too confusing who the other characters are.

I still agree with them but the book was okay. Not one us read again though. Bit predictable ending.

FabBakerGirl Tue 11-Mar-14 15:29:15

I'd also agree with the poster who said better editing would have been good. It said Lisa's parents when I'm sure it was her in-laws the author was talking about. Only a small detail but things like that can confuse me

youwish Tue 11-Mar-14 15:31:16

Yes please!

youwish Tue 11-Mar-14 15:32:00

Yes please!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Tue 11-Mar-14 15:37:55

I started this then got ill so havent finished it yet, I plan on reading it over the weekend then will add my review

SylviaDaisyPouncer Thu 13-Mar-14 19:25:22

I found the book okay (fine for a quick read).
The story moved quickly, perhaps a little too quickly as in some parts there was lack of detail and lots of switching between the different families in the book.
I agree that the ending was predictable and the extent of the strike a little far fetched (newspaper pieces and stickers in windows). However, it did make me smile and I liked it enough to want to finish it.
I have passed the book onto my sister, she is really enjoying it and said she would be looking out for more titles from the author.

jumpingjojo Thu 13-Mar-14 20:31:52

Thanks for the book, which I enjoyed. It was easy to read and hard to put down. Nothing to deep or challenging but easy to relate to. Will pass it on x

vanbandi Mon 17-Mar-14 21:18:43

thank you for the free copy. It is a funny, adorable, very realistic book. You can discover yourself, your feelings, your everyday life, your problems, your happiness in the characters. I found the end a bit too pink but light, entertaining book. I can recommend to anyone smile

janeyh31 Tue 18-Mar-14 17:15:11

I have to say I agree with most of the posts above. This was a light hearted good read which made me chuckle in a few places. Definetly my kind of book. Thank you for the copy. Would definetly recommend to anyone who is looking for something really easy going to read

Suddengeekgirl Sun 23-Mar-14 07:38:38

It's light, fluffy and as long as you don't want anything too realistic it's a nice easy read.
I am still tempted to go on strike....

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Apr-14 19:03:46

It's great to hear so many of you enjoyed mums on strike. Seems like a lot of folks enjoy a bit of easy-to-read escapism (who doesn't?) Would you like more books like this for giveaways? Let us know your thoughts and we'll see what we can do.

MasteredTheWavesNow Sun 06-Apr-14 23:06:42

I'm sure I must be too late but this did sound very funny and I could do with a laugh!

I'd really like to read it if it's still possible smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now