PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Drink: The Intimate Relationship between women and drink by Anne Dowsett Johnston - Post a question to the author

(32 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Jan-14 15:22:02

Last year Ann Dowsett Johnston wrote a guest blog for Mumsnet which shared details of her relationship with alcohol. The blog prompted much discussion from mumsnetters, many of whom were concerned about their own drinking habits. One mnetter wrote: 'drinking is insidious - it creeps up and at some point you might find it has you by the throat'. Ann's research for the book found that they are not alone; in the developed world, the gender gap on risky drinking is closing and that binge drinking is increasing particularly among women.

In her intimate and startlingly honest book, Ann Dowsett Johnston uses the research alongside her own story of personal recovery, to highlight the impact this shocking epidemic has on society as well as individual lives.

We've got 50 copies of the book to giveaway and Ann is joining us to answer your questions about her own experiences in her personal life and researching the book. Find out more, apply for a free copy and post a question to author Ann Dowsett Johnston on this thread.

god! I've just realised I've called the author Anne Dowser the 'OP'. seriously? i need to get off Mumsnet!

I do hope this book will be popular tho. It could be very helpful to many.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Tue 04-Feb-14 14:11:08

a very thought provoking book that will be helpful to many. I am now determined to control my drinking as it could so easily spiral.

elizadofuckall Sun 09-Feb-14 09:07:12

The book has been a real eye opener for me. Its a really interesting read (I haven't finished it yet) and is very thought provoking.

SeparationAnxiety Sun 23-Feb-14 14:51:40

Firstly - Thanks to whoever/however I received this book as the MN book giveaway in January. My copy arrived in the last week of the month which was timely, as I was coming to the end of my first 'dry January', which I had embarked on because I was concerned about how my drinking had gradually increased over the last few months.
The author shows clearly how common this is for women of my generation - many holding down professional jobs and bringing up children successfully but alcohol has become our "Mummy's little helper". She opened my eyes to how alcohol is now marketed to women without us realising it and how we can be seduced into believing it is good for us (or at least not harmful in any way). She also presents evidence on how women's bodies just cannot absorb and tolerate alcohol as well as men's can and so can suffer damage more quickly.
The author is Canadian and the book definitely has a 'North Atlantic' feel, with most stories and references being to Canadian/American society. But the themes are relevant to Britain too! It was interesting to read how much of a drinking culture there is at University there as well, as I had assumed that the stereotypical student love of getting drunk was a British problem only.
My one criticism would be that the author drip feeds her own story (slow descent into alcoholism and relationship ending) through the book and sometimes it was hard to work out the chronology of her life and the events she referred to at times. I found her story the most interesting in the book and I would have liked to hear more and all in one go, rather than scattered through the chapters.
The book definitely made me think about my drinking and although I very much enjoyed my first drink on 1st Feb, I think it has helped me to review my approach to drinking and to reduce it.
I would recommend this book - it is well written, easy to read and informative. The author is sympathetic and not hectoring in her approach. I am glad I have read it.

Dianec67 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:56:49

Thank you for my copy. It was an interesting read and hopefully helpful for anyone whose drinking is starting to spiral or for their friends/relations who want to know more about alcohol abuse. Great that this subject is now discussed more openly.

JuicyJ Mon 03-Mar-14 17:47:05

Thanks I received my book and read this with anticipation. I've spent many years drinking, although not as I would consider it to be an addictive past time - however '1 definately leads to a few' when I in a social environment. As I am now a mum I am conscious of how my daughter perceives my drinking and what impact it may have on her life. Ann's book certainly gave me that insight and I felt it was a really well rounded view of how drinking is intertwined with our lives and what impact it can have if it gets out of control. It is not a self help therapy read however there are some interesting stories relating to women who have issues with alcohol abuse. I certainly don't drink to the level I did in my younger years and abstain in the week now, but from reading this book I feel better educated and more insightful into the impact drinking can have on our lives and those around us. I would recommend any female who has a relationship with alcohol to read this and will be passing on my copy to a friend, I would also encourage my daughter to read this before she goes to university.

CMOTDibbler Mon 10-Mar-14 18:41:58

I thought this was very well written - as one might expect - and there were some interesting insights.
My criticism would be that she didn't examine the very widespread issue of women who are alcohol dependant, but not extreme drinkers. Those women who have to have a couple of glasses of wine every night, for whom any event is a couple of bottles of wine, wine with lunch every weekend, can't imagine not drinking type.

But a very interesting read, and one I'd recommend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now