PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd - CLOSED

(33 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Jan-14 16:44:06

To kick of 2014 we have 50 copies of Sue Monk Kidd's latest novel The Invention of Wings to giveaway. Inspired by real events and set in the deep south in the first half of the 19th Century, the book tells the story of two extraordinary women over a 30 year period; Sarah Grimké, a white daughter of a wealthy Southern landowner and Hetty 'Handful' Grimké who is given to Sarah as a slave for her eleventh birthday.

Sue Monk Kidd is the award-winning and bestselling author of The Secret Life of Bees. Her latest novel promises to 'provoke, disturb, educate and above all grip readers with its narrative power'. Find out more about the book and read an extract. If you'd like to read the book and review - either by joining the discussion on this thread or posting a review, apply for a free copy before midday on Friday 10 January.

Castlelough Tue 11-Feb-14 22:50:14

I'm still reading the novel. Just wondering whether I post here or do I write a review somewhere else?

KJ123 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:28:19

Thanks so much for my free copy! I am still only about half way through but am really enjoying it. It almost keeps me up at night, turning more pages - it would keep me up more if I was younger and less likely to fall asleep! I like how the characters alternate in telling their stories, and how Sarah was probably very different to most white people at that time. Hetty's feistiness reminds me a bit of Jane Eyre! I have a,ways enjoyed these type of historical stories, as they had another dimension in terms of interest and learning about the past. Really interested to see what will happen to the characters by the end of the story.i would be keen to read her other book/ s too, based on this one. Thanks again!

Pascha Sat 22-Feb-14 18:28:55

I'm about a third of the way through so far, I get hooked on it for 20 minutes in the bath and then forget to carry on but so far it seems very good. Will post a review when I get to the end but this could be some time.

Castlelough Sun 23-Feb-14 16:32:46

Pascha I am a bit like you - about 1/3 through as well, but can't seem to prioritise finishing it. I really like what I have read so far and promise to post a review as soon as I get to the end smile.

nwstokes Sun 23-Feb-14 21:27:52

2nd of 3 books received. This was a good one. The old problem of needing to finish reading the book in one go. The idea of two characters having a separate story took a little bit of getting use to but otherwise a thoroughly good read.
I must agree with HelenHen's comment the author's notes at the end were not really needed.
Would recommend this book is read.

Pascha Mon 03-Mar-14 12:14:52

I finally finished this book at the weekend. I set myself time to actually read more than 10 pages at once and it really made the difference. With time to get to grips with the story I found myself more and more engrossed as Sarah and Handful grew up and dealt with everything thrown at them. I must confess to being on tenterhooks over the last few pages. Don't think I breathed til the end...

I ended up googling to find out a bit more about some of the historical characters as I know little about this period in American History so it was educational for me.

I did like reading the authors note at the end, it filled in a couple of gaps for me.

Overall a great book. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read it.

FanofVan Tue 04-Mar-14 21:08:58

I take a long time to read a book (too many interruptions!) but this one is really enjoyable. Very well written and I love the way it switches from one character to the other. Looking forward to seeing what happens...!

Magicstars Wed 05-Mar-14 07:18:33

I have just finished reading this. I Couldn't put it down towards the end!

I wasn't completely drawn in until about half-way through and so it was a slow start. Initially I thought this was a story that had already been told (in books such as The Help). Whilst very important to share, it didn't have me turning the pages with huge enthusiasm, until half way through the story.

The harrowing descriptions of the torture enduring by the slaves haunt me & I was willing Sarah & Handful on to make a difference.

I loved the twist, examining the Women's spirituality & the different pathways open to Handful & Sarah as young women. It was Sarah's introduction to the Quakers that captivated me. From her leaving Charleston, I couldn't put the book down. I am so pleased that the story is based on true events and that the sisters existed. Their story is truly inspirational.

Thank you for giving the opportunity to review this. I highly recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now