PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway this week: The Good Little Devil and Other Tales by Pierre Gripari (CLOSED)

(30 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Sep-13 12:48:52

We have 50 copies of Pushkin Press' The Good Little Devil and Other Tales up for grabs this week.

Written by the one of the most successful children's authors in 20th century France, the late Pierre Gripari, these charmingly eccentric French fairytales are guaranteed to win the hearts of English children and are perfect for those with a wicked sense of humour.

Apply for a free copy and don't forget to come back to this thread and let us know your dcs thoughts on these tales.

TamBam73 Mon 04-Nov-13 16:11:41

I read The Good Little Devil to my two children aged 6 and 9. My 9 year old also read the book herself. We have the hardback version, and it looks very attractive and is enticing to read. It is a collection of short stories, French in origin and translated into English. My 9 year old's favourite story was The Witch in the Broom Cupboard, which is about a man who buys a new house without realising there is a witch already living there. My 6 year old's favourite story was The Witch of Rue Mouffetard which is about a witch who wanted to be prettier. I enjoyed reading them aloud as they were unusual, quirky and funny stories and often I couldn't predict what would happen next. We would thoroughly recommend this book and look forward to reading it again and again.

Thank you very much for sending us the book, we loved it!

Emmasmith214 Mon 04-Nov-13 18:15:49

I couldn't really get into this book. It looks lovely so I'm thinking of giving it away as a present for Christmas to someone who may appreciate it more. It's aimed at a higher age than for my son (would be useful if these things were marked with the age range they are suitable for). I couldn't really understand the point of the stories - I guess I agree with a few people above. I haven't read the whole book, so will make sure I get through it fully before passing it on to someone who would enjoy it more.

MrsDeVere Mon 04-Nov-13 18:57:52

Ahhh I did wonder if it was because they were translated.
I found it very hard to read them aloud as they didn't seem to flow very well.
I think this is why my DCs struggled to listen right through to the end.

The point about the book being better suited to a free reader is a good one. I think my 10 year old will get on better with the book if left to read it himself.

outragednotme Wed 06-Nov-13 22:23:58

"The Good Little Devil and other tales" by Pierre Gripari is a lovely book with some great illustrations and contains 13 short "fairy" tales ranging in length from about 10 pages up to 35 pages.

I have dipped into the book a few times and although I have not read it all I have enjoyed the stories I have read so far. They are very random tales and consist of some ramblings that remind me of things I used to write as a child! (Married shoes, talking potatoes, hungry witches, frogs that will grow and carry you to distant lands..) So far my favourite story ends with the dismal mean and sad queen consoling herself that everyone else is mad, every single one of them.

I do look forward to reading the rest and introducing the book to my son.

Thank you for sending me this book.

growltigersontheloose Tue 19-Nov-13 10:35:37

I very much enjoyed this book. It looks beautiful, so would make a good gift. I found the stories enjoyable, they are quirky and a bit random, which I liked. They remind me of 'proper' fairy tales, which don't always have rhyme or reason (or an ending!), but can be just silly or scary or a bit mad. I found it all very charming.

Thank you for sending me this book, I'd definitely recommend it and would probably buy it as a gift for a child who enjoyed tales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now