Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway - apply for free copy of The Burning Air by Erin Kelly - CLOSED

(47 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:33:55

Earlier this year we gave away free copies of Erin Kelly's The Poison Tree which was also made into a TV Mini series. We're now inviting mumsnetters to read and join the discussion about Erin's latest gripping psychological thriller. A tense family drama set in Devon at an annual family get together around Bonfire, The Burning Air will have you reading long into the night. Apply for a free copy and join the discussion on this thread.

Elainey1609 Fri 06-Sep-13 15:41:05

All done fingers crossed

Thisvehicleisreversing Sat 07-Sep-13 12:37:35

Just finished reading this book! Very, very gripping.

I'd love to chat to anyone else who's read it, I've got a feeling I've missed something confused

epic78 Sun 08-Sep-13 22:47:50

Done. Fingers crossed x

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 09-Sep-13 15:54:14

Me too, love Erin Kelly

SisterMatic Tue 10-Sep-13 15:14:32

I would love to read this! Fingers crossed!

Back2Two Wed 11-Sep-13 07:34:39

Ooo. Excited ..... I'm branching out to different kinds of fiction.
This isn't my usual read, it'll be interesting if I get one!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 17:22:21

The book giveaway is now closed. We'll email the 50 people who have been selected to receive books as soon as we hear from the publishers that they have been sent out.

Cantdothisagain Fri 13-Sep-13 08:27:11

I absolutely loved this book apart from the end...

AnonYonimousBird Tue 17-Sep-13 21:24:47

Oh boo hoo, I've not heard so did I miss out?!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Sep-13 16:57:36

AnonYonimousBird

Oh boo hoo, I've not heard so did I miss out?!

No, we haven't sent the emails yet. We don't notify anyone until we've heard that the books have been sent out and we're still waiting on the publishers for this book. Should be over the next couple of days. Good luck!

RebeccaSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 24-Sep-13 10:29:46

Hi everyone

We've just heard from the publishers that the books will be sent out to the winners next week. If you're one of the lucky winners an email will be pinging its way to your inbox today.

Sorry to those who haven't won this time, but you can still buy a paperback or kindle version of the book and join in the discussion on the thread.

AnonYonimousBird Tue 24-Sep-13 11:25:07

Yeah, thanks Rebecca, just got the email!!!!!! Quite excited and will definitely be reading and posting.

SisterMatic Tue 24-Sep-13 13:28:45

Wahoo me too! Thankyou

HorseyGirl1 Tue 24-Sep-13 13:42:04

Thank you so much for this. Today is my birthday - so an extra wee birthday surprise for me today! :-) Oh and I'm obv 21 if anyone asks ok ;-)

Editededition Tue 24-Sep-13 16:19:22

Just heard.
Very excited
Marking place for feedback smile

missmarplestmarymead Tue 24-Sep-13 23:59:45

Thank you very much. Looking forward to reading it and joining in with discussion.

AnonYonimousBird Wed 25-Sep-13 09:18:02

MINE IS HERE!!!!! It's going to take all my willpower not to ditch my current book and start it straight away!

Thanks MN. xx

oooh mine just arrived, really looking forward to reading it, may have to pause my current book smile

NoWomanNoCry Thu 26-Sep-13 14:30:19

Thanks for the free copy. it looks a great read. Will post a review when finished.

Phaedra11 Thu 26-Sep-13 17:41:42

Just got my copy smile. Looking forward to reading and discussing...

busybee1978 Fri 27-Sep-13 21:00:58

Got my copy yesterday (thank you very much) and am already so gripped I have canceled my regular pub-after-swim so I can carry on reading! This does not happen! I never cancel a trip to the pub! Can't wait to see how the story develops...

Phaedra11 Sat 28-Sep-13 19:26:16

I've finished the book and I enjoyed it, but with reservations. The characters felt a bit two-dimensional to me which was a disappointment after The Poison Tree, where the characters will probably stay with me for the rest of my life.

It's definitely a page turner though. I kept reading when I should have been working and I did fall for that early twist in the plot. I think a lot of people will have to go back and re-read a few chapters at that point! The final big reveal about Lydia's secret seemed a bit contrived though and was a disappointment after all the build-up.

Also, I'm a bit bored of those stereotypes about private schooling saving middle-class children from the inevitable fate of being bullied and/or becoming a drugs dealer at a city comprehensive school.

NoWomanNoCry Mon 30-Sep-13 12:28:20

Thank you for the free copy. This is the first time I have read anything by this author and I can't believe what I have been missing. This is a brilliant psychological thriller which I could not put down. It was very well written and had a great twist which I will not spoil. I am definitely going to read Erin Kelly's other novels now. grin

Editededition Mon 30-Sep-13 21:55:15

This book was my first encounter with Erin Kelly, and the genre is not my usual fare.
I am a new fan!

I found the characters well drawn, the story engaged from the outset and at no point was I tempted to skip to the last page but stayed up until the early hours to reach the end.
The plot twist was genuinely unexpected, and the climatic chapters were beautifully handled. The image of Sophie's muddy finger, slipping into the mouth of her baby, will stay with me for a long time.

This is a well written, gripping read - highly recommended.

The pedant in me has only one criticism - it was an irritating small mistake to tell the reader that Max buys his flat outright, only to say that he pays the mortgage off, just two pages later. However Ms Kelly entertained me far too much to offer criticism....so I shall cheerfully blame the Editor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now