PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Apply for free copy: The Night Rainbow by Claire King

(12 Posts)
BigGapMum Tue 15-Oct-13 15:44:21

At first sight I wasn't even sure that this was an adults book, and it didn't hold great appeal to me from the outside, but once I got into it I was entranced. The story was told through the eyes of five year old Pea, who was was pretty much left to her own devices by her grieving mother and was befriended by an old man living nearby.

An innocent tale beautifully painting the image of rural france in summertime and the actions of a small girl coping by herself.

creambun Mon 14-Oct-13 09:17:47

I'm not sure I would have picked this book up if I had seen it in the book shop, but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to read it as I really enjoyed it. I thought Pea was absolutely lovely and I loved reading about life through her eyes. Some parts were very sad and I did really feel for Pea, but I didn't find it as depressing as I thought I would. I also enjoyed the wonderful images the book paints of life in rural France - the smells and sounds. I would recommend this book to others.

EmmelineP Thu 03-Oct-13 14:06:07

I liked this book for its different approach to the writing and conversation to bring out the little girls voice and thoughts, but like others, felt the ending was too brief and almost felt to me as if it had been written by someone else. I think a lot of the background of the characters were just alluded to, for the reader to make up their own minds about, which is fine, but it was strangely absent for all the characters to be like that.
I would not have picked the book for myself a not my usual genre but am pleased I've read it and may try more from this author when published

meeps Tue 24-Sep-13 11:39:38

I did enjoy this book, a real change from the crime and horror I usually go for. I worked out about Margot early on, and did find the whole thing a little sad and uncomfortable, but that may be due to a lot of time playing out in the garden on my own as a youngster smile

thanks for sending it to me, I will be passing it on to my mum and hoping she doesn't think I am accusing her of childhood neglect lol.

serendipity1980 Mon 09-Sep-13 19:56:50

I really enjoyed this book, it had a lovely pace and style, it took me a little while to realise that Margot was imaginary. It really gives you an insight into a child's mind. I do agree about the ending being a bit rushed, I would have liked to find out more about the characters such as Claude and how life was with the new baby. However, the majority was really good. I would definitely recommend this. Thanks for sending me the book!

Emmasmith214 Sun 01-Sep-13 20:14:33

A lovely book although I wasn't a fan of the ending. It felt rushed and too much of a change of pace and style from the rest of the book. I did enjoy reading pea's style of conversation.

LIZS Fri 23-Aug-13 16:54:47

It took me while to get into the mind set but lovely to enjoy the innocence and naivety of a young child's point of view. Found the ending a little contrived though.

Mumtochops12 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:11:21

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Quite different to what I normally read (usually like a good crime or chick lit) but it was a refreshing change. Pea is such a lovely character and it took me a while to click on that Margot was an imaginary friend! Heart warming story and beautifully written, I will definitely choose this author again. Thanks for sending me the book xx

Unlurked Wed 21-Aug-13 08:36:54

I really enjoyed this book, it is beautifully written. Pea is a wonderfully written character.

titsaturner Wed 14-Aug-13 21:43:57

Thoroughly enjoyable read, kept me happy during my daily commute to and from work.

ThoraNogson Thu 25-Jul-13 16:04:23

I absolutely loved this book!!! Thank you for starting a discusson about it!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Jul-13 15:55:07

During a hot summer in the south of France, five year old Pea and her little sister Margot are left to entertain themselves whilst their mother is struggling to deal with the loss of her husband in an accident and a miscarriage. When they meet and befriend a man called Claude, they believe their lives will change but are confused as to why the neighbours view Claud with suspicion.

Elegantly written in the voice of Pea, The Night Rainbow is a stunning debut by author Claire King. It's a novel about innocence and experience, grief and compassion and the dangers of an overactive imagination. Watch the trailer and apply for a free copy and join the discussion about The Night Rainbow on this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now