Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Apply for free copy: My Education by Susan Choi - July 2013

(27 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jul-13 10:36:10

Susan Choi proves that it is possible to write something both erotic and literary and An Education is perfect for all those who loved the idea of 50 Shades but couldn't get past the first few chapters. It's a coming of age novel and tells the story of a young student who embarks on an illicit affair with her tutor's wife. Susan Choi perfectly evokes the passion and terror that comes with naive and obsessive young love in this explosive summer read. Apply for a free copy and come back and let us know what you think on this thread.

BigGapMum Tue 15-Oct-13 15:55:39

This is not a book that I would recommend. It starts off very wordy and it feels like hard work to understand what is being put across by the author. In fact it almost felt like she was showing off in a way. It improved in that respect but the story was not a strong one. The characters were not rounded and believable, and their actions were not rational.
I found the narrating character, Regina to be weak, and the events within the book seemed to just fall that way without consideration, other than to complete the plot of the story.
A book that was not worth the time it took to read.

lottietiger Mon 07-Oct-13 19:59:01

Finally got round to posting my reply as got side tracked.. Disappointing read from my point of view. It was a slow start and only picked up a little. I did enjoy the ending as it was a nice love story type ending and had a bit of feel good factor but it just wasn't gripping enough for me. I probably would have given up if it wasn't for posting a review.

lottietiger Fri 13-Sep-13 23:45:00

I am half way through this book and i am a bit disappointed so far. Its taken a while to get into it, even though i have been away for a few days with less baby distractions. It started slowly and has picked up the pace a bit but not loads. i am finding Martha's character annoying but i assume that is deliberate on the part of the author.. could be wrong though... I will post again when i have completely finished.

Ahem...sorry for triple post
<kicks laptop>

I thought the book was okay, but that was all.

My main criticism is that it was massively overwritten with far too much over-analysis of the different characters, their backgrounds, motivations and appearances. So much so, that they felt over-constructed and simply didn't ring true for me. And no, they weren't tremendously likeable.

I felt the analysis of motherhood had its moments - and the parts that felt more authentic to me tended to feature the characters' offspring. I, too felt uncomfortable about Martha's lack of focus on her son, but actually I think that was quite deliberate on the part of the author (and the narrative later balances it out with the other mother/son dynamic).

The main problem was that the book didn't know what it wanted to be - a serious literary examination of adult relationships? A basic love story? For me, it fell somewhere between the two and wasn't really satisfactory either way.

Although I believe this isn't the author's first novel, it felt like it. A bit half-baked and trying too hard. Some witty lines here and there, but just too overblown.

My main criticism is that it was massively overwritten with far too much over-analysis of the different characters, their backgrounds, motivations and appearances. So much so, that they felt over-constructed and simply didn't ring true for me. And no, they weren't tremendously likeable.

I felt the analysis of motherhood had its moments - and the parts that felt more authentic to me tended to feature the characters' offspring. I, too felt uncomfortable about Martha's lack of focus on her son, but actually I think that was quite deliberate on the part of the author (and the narrative later balances it out with the other mother/son dynamic).

The main problem was that the book didn't know what it wanted to be - a serious literary examination of adult relationships? A basic love story? For me, it fell somewhere between the two and wasn't really satisfactory either way.

Although I believe this isn't the author's first novel, it felt like it. A bit half-baked and trying too hard. Some witty lines here and there, but just too overblown.

SunshinePanda Thu 05-Sep-13 21:49:03

Took a while to get into this book. I think I may have given up if it was just a library book but I have kept going so that I can post. I am not that convinced by the characters. I was also annoyed by Martha's lack of focus on her baby. Still not quite finished yet so will post again if I change my mind about it.

mindingalongtime Thu 05-Sep-13 20:12:30

Oh well, sounds as though I didn't miss much!

mrsshackleton Wed 21-Aug-13 15:43:33

Sorry to sound ungrateful, but I really didn't enjoy this book. It was extremely pretentiously written, a lot of wordiness for the sake of sounding literary and this made it impossible to engage with the story. Which was about a bunch of unlikeable people. They're trying to market it as 50 Shades, which I also hated, but they are completely different. Not for me at all.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 21-Aug-13 13:46:52

mindingalongtime

I thought I had an email saying I'd got a copy, the first time I've received an email, but I haven't received one!

Sorry about this - our book giveaway person is on holiday but we will get her to let you know what's happening when she comes back.

mummysbabes Tue 20-Aug-13 20:11:38

It starts off slow and doesn't really get any better. To be honest fifty shades has pretty much dominated the market within the women industry. I feel privileged to have been sent a copy of this book it was just unfortunate it was not as good as the reviews. Hopefully others will get more enjoyment than I did.

countingdown Tue 20-Aug-13 08:33:14

I have tried and tried to read this book, but really cannot get into it. I think I will put it away for a few weeks and go back to it over Winter.

aristocat Mon 19-Aug-13 21:01:38

minding I also had the email but no book yet, perhaps ours are on the way smile

mindingalongtime Mon 19-Aug-13 17:38:37

I thought I had an email saying I'd got a copy, the first time I've received an email, but I haven't received one!

shaktar Thu 15-Aug-13 04:40:14

I think it was more a case of ANYTHING being an escape from a newborn and a 13 month old..!

busybee1978 Wed 14-Aug-13 22:52:36

I have to say it hasn't grabbed me so far! I have found it a bit childish and I am struggling to understand, or like, the central characters. Away for a week, will give it another try when I get back. Fair play to you, Shaktar, for getting through it with a four week old!

shaktar Sun 11-Aug-13 13:40:54

I'm dying to know what other people thought of this; I finished it last night and read it through the haze of sleep deprivation caused by 4 week old DD2 so please excuse any typos or general randomness in this post.

I have really conflicting feelings about this book - I found it to be a real page turner for at least the first half but by the time I finished, didn't actually think it was very good! I felt like I was waiting for something momentous to happen and the book to come to some huge climax, but it just seemed to lose momentum halfway through. I loved the dialogue, which played a big part in keeping me reading to the end, but felt disappointed with the last section (trying not to give anything away in case anyone reading hasn't finished yet). Though I thought the dialogue was very real, I didn't empathise with or like any of the characters in the book either, which didn't help my final opinion of it.

Looking forward to see what others think!

lottietiger Wed 31-Jul-13 21:52:28

Got my copy today, really looking forward to reading this.. ill be back to review as soon as i can.

Just dropped on the mat - looking forward to devouring this while on hols...

AnonYonimousBird Mon 29-Jul-13 13:08:24

Mine arrived whilst I was away. Looking forward to reading this. Thank you.

celestialbows Fri 26-Jul-13 19:39:40

hurrah! i have won too, thanks! i am a fast reader with little opportunity to read so hope you don't need any response too soon...

busybee1978 Fri 26-Jul-13 14:15:52

Hi, I've won a copy, how soon do you need the review please?

ninaprettyballerina Fri 26-Jul-13 14:10:13

Thanks for picking me! I'll be back once I've read it smile

LegoUniverse Fri 26-Jul-13 11:05:01

Ooh, I've won a copy. And I'm on holiday for two weeks from today. Excellent timing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now