Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Children's book giveaway this week: No! by Tracey Corderoy

(38 Posts)
LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Jul-13 11:59:13

Meet Archie, a little boy adored by everybody, until he learns a new word..."No!" We have 50 copies of the picture book to give away.

Created by the award-winning author Tracey Corderoy, and bestselling illustrator Tim Warnes, No! is a fun and entertaining read for young children. Apply for a copy here, if you are lucky enough to receive a copy, we do expect you to post your, or your child's feedback, on this thread.

tandt5 Mon 29-Jul-13 13:55:26

Thank you Mumsnet for our copy of No!
The book has been an instant hit with my 3 year-old daughter and my 5 year-old son.
I have to say No is not only Archie's favourite word but my kids' as well. This book gave them a wonderful opportunity to say and shout this word many times and see for themselves that it's not such a good idea to say it often. They are so happy to shout YES at the end and we usually discuss at length the storyline.
We all love the main character, the pictures are great and the story is long enough to grasp the main idea without kids losing interest.
A great book and I would highly recommend it to every parent who hears NO from a little one a bit too often.

DD (3.5) and I really enjoyed this. Lovely illustrations, an appealing main character and a clear message. DD wanted it re-read several times and since then we have had some useful chats about saying "yes" rather than "no". She told me she was our "Yes Girl" this weekend!

bkaz Tue 30-Jul-13 19:11:44

My little boy loves this story and I have to reread it to him. He likes to say the 'No' parts. Beautifully illustrated and good length.

Pumble Tue 30-Jul-13 19:34:59

My DD1 (2) loved this book. She wanted to read it over and over and was quoting it back to us the next day as she had enjoyed it so much. She loves putting lots of feeling when saying 'no'!!!

If I saw it in a bookshop I don't know if I would have bought it as there isn't a lot of 'story' as such but my daughters reaction would prove me wrong on that front. smile

Thank you very much for our copy smile

NumTumDeDum Thu 01-Aug-13 09:53:12

Finally had a chance to read No! To dd now she's back from her holiday. She loved it, joining in with saying no. She empathised with the main character and felt sorry for him when he was left in the rain. It led to a nice discussion about the word no and use of it which was helpful to me. Lovely illustrations, lovely story. Thanks for the book, we enjoyed it.

RunningKatie Sun 04-Aug-13 20:10:53

Thank you for the book.

DD (2.5) was very excited when the parcel arrived that it was for her. I had to read it a couple of times, and when DH arrived home she insisted they took it out when they went to buy some milk!

I like the illustrations and find it quite easy to talk around the pictures as there isn't much in the way of text.

DD has been using the No word rather excessively since we got the book but it doesn't appear to be one of her favourite books. It seems Thomas the Tank Engine wins at the moment.

Nice length of book but the story doesn't appear to have grabbed her attention enough for it to be a favoured bedtime book.

TandR Mon 05-Aug-13 18:20:53

Thank you MN for our copy of No! We've got mixed reviews in this house... Ironically it's my older child (nearly 6) who likes it and my younger (4) who doesn't.

Little child doesn't like the loud "no" bits (so could be my reading at fault). When I asked her if there's anything else she doesn't like she says (you've guessed it) "no"

Older child thinks that Archie is rude and it serves him right when he gets left out in the rain!

Personally I love the art work in this book, and I think it would be a good book to use with a younger child as it is short and the story isn't complicated. I think we'll have to donate this one to my niece, she would probably get more out of it than my two kids.

Amiable Tue 06-Aug-13 13:01:08

we got our copy (Thanks Mumsnet!) about 10 days ago. since then I have lost track of how many times it has been read - DD (7) loves reading it to Ds (3), who loves shouting out NO as loud as possible!

I'm not so sure about its merits as an aid to learning not to say no - the message seems a bit subtle to me, but it's a beautiful book, and very popular with the kids, so maybe the message will seep in!

I would recommend it to a friend, on the basis it's enjoyable and anything is worth a try when faced with the toddler tantrums!

debjani Mon 19-Aug-13 11:39:32

Delightful illustrations and a nice way for a small child to learn what difference a yes makes!

flowerlindsay Wed 21-Aug-13 21:17:41

Great book - all my four children aged between 1 and 9 enjoyed it! My 4 year old is called Archie so he particularly loved it and because of the word repetition he could even read some of it himself.
Great illustrations too. A very funny book that all ages can relate to and even mum has a giggle!
Thanks for the copy:-)

tiggersreturn Thu 29-Aug-13 13:39:29

Just a quick and late comment as ours arrived just before we went on holiday. A sweet book which my 6 year old enjoyed reading to his younger 2 year old brothers. Nice concept which he enjoyed more than they did. I liked the pictures.

BigGapMum Thu 05-Sep-13 20:39:58

A lovely book with a moral tale. Would be a particularly useful storybook to read to a toddler with a major "No" habit, to show the consequences of saying it. A nice cuddly ending, just the way DS and I like it.

My DS absolutely loves No. Great illustrations really help to tell the story of Archie's emotions. Lots of shouting "NO" going on as my DS have really enjoyed joining in. Top book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now