PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway this week: Dirty Bertie Dinosaur!

(21 Posts)

Thank you so much for Dirty Bertie Dinosaur. This was the very first chapter book I tried reading with my DS. He enjoyed it so much that we had to read the whole of each story in one sitting. Very funny and really loveable characters. Looking forward to reading more Dirty Bertie in the future!

BigGapMum Sat 24-Aug-13 22:18:07

When I saw the book I thought that it looked like it would be a fun read, but thought that it might be a bit old for DS2 who has only read picture books so far. However I read the first chapter to him tonight and he loved it. He wanted more but I refused for tonight as he had a very late bedtime, but he is really looking forward to more tomorrow night.

mummyto2boys01 Tue 13-Aug-13 17:12:29

Was also pleased to receive a copy of Dirty Bertie Dinosaur - thank you mumsnet smile

It's a lovely book, read it in one sitting to my little boy.

After skimming through it I was Initially a little worried that it would be too old for my son, but it held his attention well. I like the fact that there were different mini stories within the book broken up into short chapters. This was great for keeping my son engaged and he was eager to read another story after each of them finished.

My son loved Bertie and was rooting for him throughout when he got himself into trouble. It was very funny in parts too. We especially loved the part when Bertie asked his teacher if she weighed a ton, lol. grin

I definitely think my son will want to read other books in the series once he gets a little older.

mercede5 Sat 10-Aug-13 13:15:50

Thank you so much for our copy of Dirty Bertie. The cover alone makes this book look fun to read, and the stories did not disappoint. Looking forward to purchasing more from this series as I can see this becoming a popular choice in our house!

PerchedOnMyPeddleStool Fri 09-Aug-13 14:36:19

We have just read this book, for the THIRD time!
My DD is not quite 5 and I didn't expect her to 'get' the stories yet.
She absolutely loves dirty Bertie and his friends and no amount of me saying wait for the next chapter works. We have to read the whole story once we start because the suspense is too much for her.

Thanks, we love them and will certainly be investing in more.

Troublewithtribbles Sun 04-Aug-13 20:51:29

I was very attracted by the description of this book and was delighted to be given a copy to review. DD is a little too young to enjoy this collection of 3 stories fully, but I have and it has made a welcome change to read something that makes me chuckle, even if she does not always get why. It feels a bit like why I love the Pixar movies, over the more traditional kid's movies; different levels and something to keep parent's sane! She has remained interested in the stories, loves the illustrations and they hold her attention very well, though I am limiting her to a chapter or two at a time to keep her fully focused. I can't wait for her to grow into them!

SelfRighteousPrissyPants Thu 01-Aug-13 08:17:22

We've read a few other Bertie books and this was just as good! I love the pictures of Bertie, typical grubby boy. I thought the pet-sitting story was the best. My 5 year old loved it and thought the dinosaur story was the best. He likes the stories and the pictures and thinks they are funny.

Nicnic12 Mon 29-Jul-13 17:37:54

My daughter really enjoyed this book. So maybe might have to buy more in the series.

jessycake Thu 25-Jul-13 18:54:53

I love the Dirtie Bertie stories and this is no exception .All children love to hear the adventures of a slightly naughty though never malicious character. It is great to have a familiar well loved character from the toddler books to grow with your children.

Hazel, we have pooh is that you bertie and dirty Bertie. DS loved them, as they are filled with farts, poohs and bogies with funny illustrations. I was a bit worried about them tbh but DS had his taster morning in reception class this week and I saw the book in their book corner. The teacher thought they were great and said all the children (and parents) loved them!

HazelDormouse Fri 19-Jul-13 14:11:29

Thank you for our copy. My ds (3) is rather young for chapter books. However, I wanted to see what his reaction would be to a short illustrated book. This was excellent. His little face was very serious when we were reading it. It appeared that he was concentrating very hard. He really liked the two naughty little boys. (worrying!) The only problem was after reading 'Dinosaur', he wanted to read 'Chocolate' and my voice was getting hoarse. I was interested to read (OneStepCloser) that there are also larger picture books with Dirty Bertie in them. I will try and find a few at the library.

We got ours last week. DS loves the larger picture Dirty Bertie and we thought the smaller non illustrated book might be a little difficult for him to follow but he loves it as does DH who rates it better than Horrid Henry. I can see us buying more of them now. Its a great transition book also as DS already knows the characters. Thank you for letting us have one.

Peanutbunny Tue 16-Jul-13 19:28:59

My copy of Dirty Bertie Dinosaur arrived on Saturday - just in time for my nephews 6th birthday!
I read through the book briefly first before giving it to him (to make sure it would be suitable). I like that the book is split into short stories - great for kids with short attention spans! It is fun and easy to follow book.
First impressions from my nephew - when he unwrapped this he didn't look all that happy but then he looked a bit like that when unwrapping all of his gifts! He doesn't really like all the attention of birthdays. I'm sure in a few days time he will have a proper look at the book. I will report back when he has read it with mum or dad & see what they say. smile

mandyr Sun 14-Jul-13 07:20:27

Our copy arrived yesterday and we quickly hid it away, to be saved for my son's birthday. He loves the Dirty Bertie books and this one looks like it'll be just as much fun as the others.

Nowhere Sat 13-Jul-13 22:03:50

Our copy arrived this morning and DS1 read it in one sitting. He has enjoyed all the other Dirty Bertie books and this one was no exception. He described it as brilliant and very funny. He particularly enjoyed the bit where Bertie ate half of the gigantic egg (but he would, as anything to do with food is popular with him!).

mummyto2boys01 Sat 13-Jul-13 12:09:09

Postie delivered my copy this morning. Sorry if I sounded impatient but I am really looking forward to reading this with my boy. smile

mummyto2boys01 Fri 12-Jul-13 16:15:11

Has anyone else not received their copy yet? I am still waiting and wondering if anyone else is too.

johnworf Thu 04-Jul-13 09:45:06

Apols. I've put my comment on the wrong thread blush

SelfRighteousPrissyPants Wed 03-Jul-13 21:28:27

My DS is really looking forward to this as he loves Dirty Bertie and I was glad to hear we were getting it so I had some good news for him the first time I've been away from him for any length of time.

johnworf Wed 03-Jul-13 15:41:24

Our copy arrived this morning. On first inspection (by me) it looks like the usual fantastic Nick Sharratt offerings of fun, bright colours brought nicely together with humour that appeals both to adults and children alike.

Will report back when I've read it with DD#2 tonight (she loves all of his others so I doubt this will disappoint!)

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:21:04

We have 50 copies of Dirty Bertie Dinosaur! to giveaway. Dirtie Bertie was created by the award-winning illustrator David Roberts and for the last ten years has been delighting children with his crazy plans and discussing habits.

Dinosaurs is the 20th book in the series. It features three illustrated stories and its short format makes it perfect for children who are learning how to read. Find out more about the series, watch a film to learn how to draw Bertie and apply for a free copy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now