Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

DARING GREATLY - Brené Brown - 50 copies of NY bestseller to giveaway

(33 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:10:17

Brené Brown's book Daring Greatly has taken the US by storm and her TED talk is one of the top ten most watched TED talks of all time with approximately 10 million views. The book challenges the idea that vulnerability is a weakness and that by shutting ourselves off from our vulnerabilities we distance ourselves from the experiences that bring purpose and meaning to our lives. The book is a culmination of 12 years of social research, across every area of our lives including home, relationships, work, and parenting.

Watch her TED talk and apply for a free copy. If you read the book do come back and discuss on this thread.

pinkstinks Sat 13-Jul-13 23:08:20

I received my copy and was excited to give it a go, I am having a bit of an awful time at work and the title really appealed, I thought this book would be able to help me figure out some things and maybe help me to change my mindset and attitude helping me to find my feet again almost.
Unfortunately as with many posters above, I struggled with this one. I'm not sure if this is because of my own experiences and field etc, but I felt like the title and therefore my expectations did not tally with what was actually presented in the book. Looking at others responses I realise the book never professed to be any of these things and I was projecting my own feelings onto it, however It has inspired me to delve a bit deeper and get into this topic myself and also introduced me to the world of TEd where In have now lost countless hours and that can only be a good thing.
I will happily pass on also although my friend has picked it up as it appealed to her so I will see what she thinks first smile

I received my copy and started reading about two weeks ago.

I have not enjoyed reading this book and have struggled with finishing it.

It has been relevant and made me look at my motivations and the way in which I interact with people. However, like others' have said up thread (far more eloquently) it felt familiar and too American for my sensibilities.

If anyone would like my copy please PM me.

mrsshackleton Thu 18-Jul-13 11:47:30

I'm in the majority camp. I'm about 2/3 of the way through my copy (thank you very much)

I think the main idea that we need to be vulnerable to fully interact is interesting. It's also something I figured out myself a while back and am trying to impart to my dcs, however that's not to belittle the philosophy and I am glad to have it reinforced.

But the style is deeply offputting, the UK publishers should have adjusted it to the market. Also when you hear a book is earth-shattering, mind-bending and it's not - just fairly interesting, you come away feeling more conned than you might have done without a hard sell.

I'd pass my copy on but it's so battered, I'm not sure anyone would want it. PM if you do

annieg21 Mon 22-Jul-13 12:58:37

Have just finished my copy and sadly wasn't blown away. This book starts out well and is interesting, but like so many lifestyle-changing books, it runs out of steam quickly and just repeats itself. Overall I found nothing new here - a basic bit of CBT about changing how we view ourselves and how we present to the world; accept yourself as you are and "to thine own self be true".

SunshineBossaNova Tue 30-Jul-13 17:09:08

I'm half-way through this book. Like others I found it incredibly repetitive and for that reason it was boring.

Foundapound Tue 30-Jul-13 19:56:12

I'm really struggling to get going with it. Have read just a few pages. Will report back again when I've managed more, but felt a little guilty for not having posted yet...

june2013 Mon 12-Aug-13 14:26:51

I have to agree with most people here, I was excited to get it, felt relevant and interesting. But it's repetitive and boring and as others have said I would have liked more references to the research and secondary literature. It's not earth shattering, or new - again as has been said - I figured a lot of this stuff out for myself. I found it very peppy and perhaps very American and occasionally patronising. I also found the stories of people saying she'd changed their lives with tears in their eyes too much. I mean, honestly, was that really necessary. I was also concerned and surprised by the lack of gender analysis, which catfromjapan has already explained far more eloquently than I could.

I found the one page summary in the guardian family section a few weeks ago quite enough (it did in fact make me want to read the book more, but when I picked it up again I got bored very quickly...).

Thanks for the freebie all the same!

And if anyone wants the book do pm me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now