PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Nick Sharratt and Pippa Goodhart's Just Imagine - Post a question to illustrator Nick Sharratt - ANSWERS BACK

(70 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jun-13 09:55:25

We have 50 copies of Pippa Goodhart and Nick Sharratt's latest book Just Imagine to giveaway. If your children enjoy creating their own stories from pictures then this is the perfect book. With intricately detailed illustrations parents and children can explore together, this really is a book to share time and time again. Apply for one of 50 free copies and if you are one of the lucky 50, do come back and let us know what you and your children think.

We're delighted that illustrator Nick Sharratt is going to be taking your questions this week in a Q&A. Nick is one of the best known children's book illustrators in the UK. He has illustrated over 40 books by Jacqueline Wilson alone, including the epic Story of Tracy Beaker. When Tracy Beaker was made into a BBC series, his illustrations were brought to life as animations in the series. Nick has also collaborated with children's authors including Jeremy Strong ( My Brother's famous bottom) Kes Gray (The Daisy Series), Giles Andrae (Pants!), Julia Donaldson and Michael Rosen.

Put your questions to Nick before the end of Thursday 20th June and we'll post up his answers on 27th.

amapola Thu 05-Sep-13 19:17:28

Thanks for my copy. I personally prefer YOU CHOOSE but both my kids like JUST IMAGINE just as much

debjani Mon 19-Aug-13 11:37:50

I got 'You Choose' for my DC which was an all time favourite with her and her big sister. 'Just Imagine' is the second book in the series and my daughter thinks it's just as good as the first book and 'really imaginative'. Has Nick Sharratt thought about having the books translated? They are brilliant - colourful, fun, vibrant illustrations and a great way for children to use their imagination and learn new vocabulary. Will be keeping these for my grandchildren ;)

lottietiger Wed 31-Jul-13 22:09:06

Sory for the delay in replying..Thank you for my copy of Just Imagine, its a great book that will last ages as everytime you open it there seems something new to look at. You can come up with a different story each night. My DS loves the pictures, its been great fun at bed time.

JoolsFH Thu 18-Jul-13 17:26:52

We were one of the lucky winners of Just Imagine as well and it has already become a firm favourite with my DD (5 yrs) and DS (3 yrs). It has even inspired a rare concept of sharing. We can all sit down and read it together as like You Choose there are so many options. Another fantastic Nick Sharratt book to add to all the others we already have. Thank you.

SalaciousBCrumb Tue 16-Jul-13 14:14:43

Just Imagine has been a big hit, the children have been sat quietly doing it together over and over again. We love You Choose but it's nice to have an alternative!

creambun Tue 16-Jul-13 13:39:25

Thank you for our copy of the book. You Choose has always been a favourite in our house so I was really keen to see what Just Imagine would be like. I mainly signed up for this because I am a teacher and I thought Just Imagine would be brilliant for story starters and drama work with nursery / Key Stage 1. I'm not disappointed. The illustrations are bright and colourful, and there's so much going on in them. There are so many wonderful ideas in the book too, which will really get children's imaginations going and be brilliant for writing and drama work, as well as just enjoying reading and discussing the book together.

I also have two children aged 6 and 8. I know most children reading Just Imagine will be younger, but my two haven't put it down since it arrived. They 'read' the book together and sit there discussing all the things they would do and be. It's so lovely to sit and listen to them. Thank you for sending us a copy to review - I know this book is going to be very well used in our house!

RedRoseMummy Mon 15-Jul-13 15:30:46

Thanks so much for our copy of Just Imagine, it has quickly become my three year old's favourite book. We've spent hours and hours with this book since it arrived and he takes it everywhere with him. He can sit down and talk about the picturs and it's really helping him with his imaginative play, something that is rapidly developing with him at the moment.

The illustrations are great, so many different ideas to talk about and explore the concept of things like 'how would that feel', 'would you like to be that particular animal?' He especially loves pointing to all of the different animals and giving them names.

This is the best book for discussion we've had for ages, we pick it up whenever we have a spare five minutes and I can't see that changing for a little while, he is utterly immersed in it.

motherofvikings Fri 12-Jul-13 08:38:38

I've finally got around to reading this with ds (4) and dd (2).

It's not really a story as such - not really a beginning, middle and end IYSWIM. BUT it has provoked much discussion. smile

Ds has looked through it saying "look!" At all the illustrations which have clearly captured his imagination and caused some giggles too.
Dd has joine in by pointing at the pictures and saying "that?" And getting me to explain everything. smile

This illustrations are brilliant and so full of life! I think it would be great for use in school as a stimulus for some creative writing or circle time too. (Said as an exteacher)

It's a lovely book, not great for a pre-bed wind down, but great for sharing and chatting about.

cornflakegirl Thu 11-Jul-13 21:11:12

Our copy of The General has arrived. The story is a bit random, but the pictures are really lovely. I shall keep reading it to DS until he turns into the next Nick Sharratt wink

Periwinkle007 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:42:57

Just Imagine is great - it follows on nicely from You Choose and is a fantastic addition to our bookshelves (thank you for the copy). My daughters now insist on doing both books back to back though so bedtime reading is taking longer and longer. I will be recommending it to loads of people. I like how it makes them think outside the box, use their imaginations. It isn't just a story to listen to but a story to take part in and change to go in the direction you want it to. brilliant.

and thanks Nick for answering my question.

LizTerrine Wed 10-Jul-13 21:38:43

So, we've read Just Imagine five times today - it's going down a real treat. DS has particularly enjoyed the very large sneeze on page one, and imaging how it would feel to be small enough to have a bath in a tea cup. My favourite bit is the magical page smile.

I really like how some of the images from You Choose pop up again in this book too.

HazelDormouse Wed 10-Jul-13 21:14:11

Ds (3) loves the picture book. He has an affinity to the little white mouse which you find on each spread. (His favourite soft toy is a 'mouse'. The 'mouse' often squeaks about the images on the pages.) It is lovely to see him intensely looking through a picture book on his own. Thank you on behalf of both of us .

Yasmin1 Wed 10-Jul-13 10:04:05

Thanks for the book. We have You Choose too & my 4yr old absolutely loves Just Imagine. It really encourages her to express her thoughts & her very creative imagination!! The illustrations are detailed and colourful. This book is simply not a quick read, each page creates conversation & interaction with your child. Just Imagine really makes the child absorb in all the details within the book. Great Book & read.
Thanks smile

cornflakegirl Tue 09-Jul-13 22:22:25

I've read this a few times with DS2 and he really likes it. The pictures are gorgeous, with lots of details to pick out. Like You Choose it will bear rereading many, many times, and I think as DS gets older it will be a good springboard to help him create his own stories about the characters.

My only criticism is that I don't think the book is as coherent as You Choose. It starts off with pages on imagining being big or small, with little scenes of the attendant opportunities and problems. But after that it seems to move away from the idea of "imagine what this would be like". The rest of the book is a mixture of exemplars of a particular thing (ages from history, wild animals) and scenes with lots of detail (magical beings, a really complicated machine). They are all really lovely, but the theme of imagining feels a little bit shoehorned in and I missed the feeling of progression that there is in You Choose.

But it is a very small niggle, and not something that seems to bother DS at all. Thank you again for such a beautiful book.

Raspberrygiggle Tue 09-Jul-13 20:03:59

My 4 year old son absolutely loves this book! As he can read by himself he loves to sit with it, reading every thing on the page and taking in all of the brightly coloured pictures. He is always shouting me over to take a look at something new he has spotted. A great book for any child! Thanks for letting us have a copy smile

Lurkymclurker Sat 06-Jul-13 00:53:34

Thank you!!

We received our copy yesterday and dd 21 months has "read" it several times and gets very excited when she sees the cover.

Because of her age we were pointing out the familiar and she identified characters on a few pages that are familiar to her (motorbike and rider = daddy)

Tonight we read it together and paused on the pets page the longest with me being a sheep, dp being a pig and dd looked for a long time until she found a cat and then meowed along with our selected animal noises.

A basic understanding I know but I was amazed that she is already showing topical imagination outside of physical role play smile

I am looking forward to sharing with my friends 4 year old to see what he makes of it smile

Thank you again!

johnworf Fri 05-Jul-13 12:01:32

I read this with my DD#2 last night in bed. She howled with laughter especially at the pages where they were made of things like cheese and elastic. I had to read it twice but put my foot down at a third reading.

The boy, girl and mouse characters are great; the way they change through the book. Funny little comments made by them add to the overall humour.

Nick Sharratt books are always a hit in this house and he certainly has made the grade with this book.

Great big thumbs up. grin

Hellohippo Thu 04-Jul-13 18:51:04

Thank you for the book, really enjoyed looking through it and great to have such detailed pictures to chat about. I found it a rather relaxing read.

lettysmith21 Thu 04-Jul-13 16:05:01

This is a wonderful book. My son enjoyed reading this with me and i know the little ones at the local preschoolwill too.

NoWomanNoCry Thu 04-Jul-13 13:34:43

Thank you for the copy of 'Just Imagine', we received it yesterday. My children absolutely love 'You Choose' and has long been their favourite bedtime story, so 'Just Imagine' has a lot to live up to.
As soon as they were home from school we read and looked at the book together and no surprises they loved it. I definitely think that this book is for older children than the audience of 'You Choose' as some of the pictures will need explaining. As my children are in the reception year at school I think that this book is perfect for them now. A really good book and we will have to wait and see now whether or not it becomes their new number one bedtime read! smile

johnworf Thu 04-Jul-13 12:00:12

thanks Lara.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Jul-13 10:08:13

johnworf

Wow, Nick replied to my question. I'm feel very flattered!

Is there a thread to review his new book? Ours came today.

Hi johnworf, we're keeping everything on one thread, as that's much easier. So book reviews are to be posted on here.

SalaciousBCrumb Thu 04-Jul-13 09:18:18

Ours too Johnworf, cannot see where to review it. I'm probably as excited as the children!

cavylover Wed 03-Jul-13 17:58:11

Just Imagine by Pippa Goodhart with illustrations by Nick Sharratt is an extremely visual book with top rate illustrations by the excellent Nick Sharratt. It stimulates children to use their imagination and think laterally about lots of different topics in ways they may not have thought of for themselves.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to have some means of measuring one's achievement with tasks. Not all children will appreciate such open-ended activities all the time.

johnworf Wed 03-Jul-13 13:11:02

Wow, Nick replied to my question. I'm feel very flattered!

Is there a thread to review his new book? Ours came today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now