Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Nick Sharratt and Pippa Goodhart's Just Imagine - Post a question to illustrator Nick Sharratt - ANSWERS BACK

(70 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Jun-13 09:55:25

We have 50 copies of Pippa Goodhart and Nick Sharratt's latest book Just Imagine to giveaway. If your children enjoy creating their own stories from pictures then this is the perfect book. With intricately detailed illustrations parents and children can explore together, this really is a book to share time and time again. Apply for one of 50 free copies and if you are one of the lucky 50, do come back and let us know what you and your children think.

We're delighted that illustrator Nick Sharratt is going to be taking your questions this week in a Q&A. Nick is one of the best known children's book illustrators in the UK. He has illustrated over 40 books by Jacqueline Wilson alone, including the epic Story of Tracy Beaker. When Tracy Beaker was made into a BBC series, his illustrations were brought to life as animations in the series. Nick has also collaborated with children's authors including Jeremy Strong ( My Brother's famous bottom) Kes Gray (The Daisy Series), Giles Andrae (Pants!), Julia Donaldson and Michael Rosen.

Put your questions to Nick before the end of Thursday 20th June and we'll post up his answers on 27th.

cornflakegirl Thu 13-Jun-13 17:53:51

Ooh, I love Nick Sharratt - Ketchup on your cornflakes is a favourite with my boys. I'd like to know how he developed his distinctive illustrating style.

motherofvikings Thu 13-Jun-13 17:58:23

We have a few of his illustrations - Toddle Woddle and Goat goes to play group are so full of life! And much loved by the dc smile

What medium do you use for drawing/ illustrating? Pencil and paper or something more technical?

LaughingLen Fri 14-Jun-13 10:05:53

You Choose is a book we go back to again and again. My girls change their answers but I am always the lady engineer - in real life I have certificates for it. <proud face>

I'm also intrigued by the technical details of 'how you draw'
- have computers changed your methods
- away from the 'house style' of the childrens books do you draw in different styles or does it naturally all tend to come out 'Nick Sharratt' style.

gloriafloria Fri 14-Jun-13 12:34:32

Hi Nick,

Your illustrations have helped to inspire my two budding artists and I love that they can recognise one of your illustrations by its unique style. I think it's great that the illustrator of a children's book can be as well known to the reader as it's author.

When you were growing up what children's books did you enjoy reading and what other influences inspired you to draw?

Nosleeptillgodknowswhen Fri 14-Jun-13 12:40:11

Will Daisy ever eat her peas?

My 3 DC love You Choose and Just Imagine and Shark in the Park... I could go on and on....

homeeconomics Fri 14-Jun-13 14:00:42

My 8 yr old daughter Rosy loves Nick Sharrat and has asked a question: How many books have you illustrated and how old were you when you started?

Periwinkle007 Fri 14-Jun-13 16:14:42

oh we LOVE Nick Sharratt's work. Particularly fond of Shark in the Park.

I would like to know which is HIS favourite book he has worked on?

Firewall Fri 14-Jun-13 22:48:38

Hi Nick, your work is amazing!! I love them as much now as i did many many years ago!! And im now able to explore your picture books with my 3 year old. the first book we looked at when he was a baby was moo cow kung fu cow, which he still loves which got many laughs and giggles!
Also just wanted to say thank you for replying to a letter I sent to you when I was 9! I still have it today! It made my day when i received it! So thank you for spending time replying to letters and spending time making your letters look pretty with all your drawings!

Firewall Fri 14-Jun-13 23:02:52

And my question, you co-illustrated a few books with Sue Heap. How do you both make your illustrations look so alike? Does this mean she can draw in 'your' style?
Double act in particular always baffled me when it said you drew one twin each? And I honestly can't tell them apart!!

What is it like co-illustrating with someone? Are there any points where you secretly think you can do much of it by yourself or draw things differently?

MaisyMoo123 Fri 14-Jun-13 23:03:49

My 4 year old son LOVES 'You Choose' to the point where he's actually quite obsessed and carries it round with him! It's provided hours of happy discussions and sent us off into all sorts of wonderful imaginary worlds! Tonight he was a cowboy living on a volcano, with father Christmas for a grandpa. If he had the chance he'd like to ask Nick what he'd choose...

LizTerrine Fri 14-Jun-13 23:11:35

Ooh, my 2.7yo is a huge fan of You Choose, Toddle Waddle and Goat goes to play group. I bought him You Choose because I wanted to help his language development, and it really has - he's picked up loads of new vocab. His hands down favourite page is the food just like dear old mum, and planning deliciously decadent menus of lollipops, jellies, special chocolate and giant hams brings back the real thrill of imaginative play from my own childhood.

My question is - where does your inspiration come from? Ate you remembering your own childhood?

CairngomRockHunter Fri 14-Jun-13 23:23:02

Wow, looks like a fantastic book grin

Desperately hoping weidt a copy. The children absolutely LOVE You Choose, and this might be the inspiration needed to get the younger one writing.

Hellohippo Fri 14-Jun-13 23:32:39

We all have find memories of my mum and dad make me laugh, our mugs have been coordinated as spots and stripes since! I think it must be about 10 years ago? Was it based on your own experiences? Although I don't imagine you as grey given the colours you use.
Thanks for all the great books, my youngest loved Pants too, made her laugh so much every time.

Swimmingwithsharks Sun 16-Jun-13 15:48:00

'Just Imagine' sounds like a book my son would love. He loves 'You Choose' and 'I Don't Like Peas'.
I think Nick Sharret illustrates books in the way children see things as lists! My 5 year old wants to ask you, "Did you like illustrating ' I Don't Like Peas' "? and 'How do you know how you are going to illustrate the story?'

Rachelmumsnet - Pippa is a friend of mine. If you want to send qs for her as well, I can ask her to reply. No guarantee as she might be very busy, but I can ask.

countingdown Mon 17-Jun-13 12:40:21

I have just bought a copy of Just Imagine for my children as we all love our (now very tatty!) copy of You Choose. We've not looked at Just Imagine very much yet, but I would say that You Choose is probably the best book I have bought for my children. It is beautiful to look at, we have spent hours looking at it and talking about it. My children both have fantastic vocabularies, and I am sure that talking about You Choose so frequently has developed their vocabulary. Also, they love imaginative play - I think You Choose has given them the confidence to let their imaginations run wild!

I don't have a particular question to ask, but a HUGE thank you for such a wonderful book. I think every house should have a copy of You Choose. Not sure if children are still given 'Book Start' packs, but I think including a copy of this book would be fantastic.

johnworf Mon 24-Jun-13 13:36:25

Never Use A Knife And Fork is the dogs doodahs as far as my 5 year old is concerned. grin

Nick, what messages do you think your books give out to the (young) reader and where do you find inspiration?

This is in no way related to the book I've just mentioned wink

Clawdy Mon 24-Jun-13 14:48:43

Delighted to hear we have won a copy of the new book,sounds such fun. Big favourite in our house is Shark in the Park. My question is : Nick,what was your favourite picture book as a child?

motherofvikings Mon 24-Jun-13 15:03:00

Squeeee! We've won one too! smile
Hurry up postman!

cornflakegirl Mon 24-Jun-13 20:44:00

Just seen we've won a copy - thank you! Really looking forward to it - I think DS2 will love it.

LizTerrine Mon 24-Jun-13 20:44:19

Ooh, us too. DS will be v pleased smile.

yorkshirebound Tue 25-Jun-13 12:25:32

Feel very lucky to be on the list to get the book. Our copy of you choose is very worn by now, and still a firm favourite.

Would love to hear what inspired you and pippa to write you choose and how did you decide what options to include?

Also just seen we've won a copy. I am very excited to see what DD thinks! Currently on holiday but will post review as soon as we're back.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Jul-13 14:30:29

We now have the answers back from Nick Sharratt, and I will be posting them up shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now