Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

The Tiger Who Came To Tea: apply for your FREE copy and post a question for author Judith Kerr: Q&A AND GIVEAWAY CLOSED

(125 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-13 10:02:31

This week we have 50 copies of Judith Kerr's classic The Tigers Who Came To Tea to giveaway. Apply for a free copy

We're delighted that author Judith Kerr is joining us for a Q&A to celebrate her 90th birthday and the publication of her beautiful retrospective called Judith Kerr's Creatures: A Celebration of the Life and Work of Judith Kerr. Everyone who posts a question to Judith and joins the discussion on this page about her books will be entered into a draw to win a signed copy of Judith Kerr's Creatures.

Judith is one of Britain's most well known children's author and illustrator and her most well known books, the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea are classics across generations of book lovers. Her celebrated book for older children, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit was based on her own life as Judith spent her early childhood in Berlin but moved to the UK after the rise of Hitler in 1933. In Creatures Judith tells of her family's struggles with language and money, and what it was like to be a German refugee in London during the war.

Post your question to Judith and let us know your favourite Judith Kerr book by 10am on 17th June and we'll post up her answers and announce the winner of the signed book on Monday 24th June.

Clawdy Mon 29-Jul-13 16:41:33

Is there any further news about Judith? Hope she is feeling better.

RippingYarns Mon 22-Jul-13 20:10:49

sorry to read this, just popped by to say our freebie is now one of DDs favourite bedtime stories, Tigers who come to tea are awesome

Get well soon, Judith thanks

BusyMum101 Fri 19-Jul-13 13:33:43

We loved this book. My mother used to read it to me as a child and she relished reading it with my daughter - brought back lots of memories. smile x

Periwinkle007 Wed 10-Jul-13 21:44:51

I hope she is feeling better now, I have only just got round to checking back to see her answers.

JulesJules Sat 29-Jun-13 16:40:06

Get well soon Judith! flowers

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 29-Jun-13 05:45:00

Get well soon flowers

SisterMatic Fri 28-Jun-13 22:02:35

Get well soon Judith, sorry to hear you are unwell

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 28-Jun-13 17:17:45

Oh no. Get well soon Judith.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 28-Jun-13 16:55:35

Hey all, so sorry the answers are back a bit late. Judith was going to be coming in to Mumsnet Towers on Wednesday to do a webchat on gransnet, when she was going to sign the books for the competition but sadly had to pull out last minute because of ill health. This is also why her answers to the Q&A are going to be a little late. We'll be speaking again with the publishers on Monday and hopefully be able to bring more news then on when the answers will be back and also on getting the books signed for the competition.

MrsHoarder Thu 27-Jun-13 09:18:27

DS loves the Tiger Who Came to Tea. Unfortunately it gave him ideas about drinking the bath water though wink

Clawdy Tue 25-Jun-13 19:42:49

Yes,thought the QandA was yesterday,too?

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 24-Jun-13 13:09:01

any news on the winner of the signed book?
<grasping>

nattnatt Mon 24-Jun-13 12:24:27

Why do I not remeber this as a kid? My 3yr old loves it! He loves showing me the pictures too......and why does the tiger get to eat all the cake and he can't?
Cracking bedtime story smile

potteringpenguin Sat 22-Jun-13 17:21:02

This is one of my all time favourite books. It just arrived and my teenage daughters pounced on it. The 18 year old could still quote huge chunks of it. Our original copy disintegrated so it's lovely to have a new one to share with my brand new nephew! Thank you.

Judith Kerr is amazing. I loved the exhibition of her work at Seven Stories (the National centre for the children's book in Newcastle.)

cavylover Fri 21-Jun-13 12:17:37

The Tiger Who Came For Tea is a book which never loses its appeal with a wonderful story about a tiger who "eats a family out of house and home" after turning up unexpectedly on a family's doorstep. It is teaching children about sharing with others and not expecting anything in return and is accompanied by excellent illustrations which bring the story alive. A timeless classic!

Tusty Thu 20-Jun-13 16:14:26

We love TTWCTT in our house. I remember it being one of my brother's favourites when we were kids, so it was definitely one I wanted my son to have in his book collection and enjoy. It's great reading it again and noticing all the 'mysterious' images that as a child you never notice (it's like watching The 6th Sense and recognising all the clues to explain the ending, although with this you never actually get the answers as to who the Tiger is)...seeing the domestic cat throughout etc.

My son loves all the voices we do, and he's now at 2 1/2 reading it (well, making up the story) to himself. We get asked for the 'tiger book' quite a lot at bedtime.

I don't think we've got any other Judith Kerr books, although I used to love the Mog books.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Jun-13 14:23:20

The Q&A has now closed and we've chosen 20 Qs and sent them over to Judith. We also sent over all the lovely comments about her books that you posted as we wanted to share this with Judith. We'll be posting up her answers next week and announcing the winner of the signed copy of Judith Kerr's Creatures: A Celebration of the Life and Work of Judith Kerr.

We also we wanted to let you know that Judith will be joining gransnet for a live webchat next Wednesday 26 June, 1-2pm.

therumoursaretrue Wed 19-Jun-13 10:50:31

Just received my copy of TTWCTT this morning. DS is only 10 months but sat as quiet as a mouse looking at the pictures while I read to him. I can tell this is going to be a favourite in our house!

CathBookworm Tue 18-Jun-13 22:20:30

Thanks for the copy of TTWCTT, my boy is 2 and spotted the tiger on the front and HAD to have it read to him tonight. His favourite bit at the moment is when the tiger drinks all the tea from the tea pot, he thinks its hilarious.

playlearn Tue 18-Jun-13 20:11:15

We received our copy of TTWCTT today and Ethan absolutely loves it! We got out our tea set and acted it out (he loved drinking all the tea from the tea pot!)

So glad that we won, it's a classic smile

quietlysuggests Mon 17-Jun-13 22:18:26

Comment- when I came across TTWCTT a couple of years ago I burst out crying in the bookshop! It was my mother's fave book to read to me when I was little and though I hadn't seen it in years I remembered every single page and the emotions were so powerful it was like sitting on my mother's lap after all those years.

Question - Why did he never come back?

Theory - I have many days where the day runs away from me and my husband comes home from work and there's no dinner ready, the cupboards are bare, the house is a mess, no child is ready for bed.
So I say to him that the Tiger came to tea.

But for me this is a regular occurrence.
My Tiger always comes back!

HarumScarum Mon 17-Jun-13 22:10:51

I love best of all the picture of Sophie walking to the restaurant with her parents. I grew up near where it is set and recognise some of the shop names and it has always felt like it's MY book. I'm not called Sophie but we had a fair few evenings in my childhood where a café was required for one reason or another (sadly never a tiger). DD loves the tiger and like many others 'ALL DADDY'S BEER' was an oft-repeated phrase in our house for many years. I haven't really got a question. But thank you for a lovely lovely lovely book that has lasted for so very many years of my childhood and adulthood and DD's childhood. I would not be at all surprised if my six year old will be reading it to her own children twenty or thirty years hence. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still enjoying it when I am your age, tbh!

parabelle Mon 17-Jun-13 21:44:25

We love this book, but I always think it's so sad at the end when it says: 'but he never did'. Why won't he ever come back? Would it not have been so much nicer to have let the children with that hope?

Sorry, it's always bothered me.

Hello, and thank you so much for our copy of this lovely book, which arrived today. My daughter is 2 and a half and LOVES books, she has a huge library already but this is one classic that we had (surprisingly) never read before. She was fascinated by the story, we read it once as soon as we opened the package this morning and then again half an hour later, at her request. Afterwards she wanted to know all about the tiger and seemed most disgruntled that it had eaten all the food in the house! I think it is safe to say that she really enjoyed this and that it will be read time and time again.

If it isn't too late to put a question to Judith, could I ask if the tiger is a metaphor for something more sinister? Or am I reading too much into things?!

Thanks very much again smile

NoWomanNoCry Mon 17-Jun-13 21:12:36

Thanks for the free copy, just received today. My children really enjoyed this book although I personally found the story a bit strange. They kept talking to me about the story afterwards. I think it will now become the most requested bedtime story for long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now