PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

The Tiger Who Came To Tea: apply for your FREE copy and post a question for author Judith Kerr: Q&A AND GIVEAWAY CLOSED

(125 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-13 10:02:31

This week we have 50 copies of Judith Kerr's classic The Tigers Who Came To Tea to giveaway. Apply for a free copy

We're delighted that author Judith Kerr is joining us for a Q&A to celebrate her 90th birthday and the publication of her beautiful retrospective called Judith Kerr's Creatures: A Celebration of the Life and Work of Judith Kerr. Everyone who posts a question to Judith and joins the discussion on this page about her books will be entered into a draw to win a signed copy of Judith Kerr's Creatures.

Judith is one of Britain's most well known children's author and illustrator and her most well known books, the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea are classics across generations of book lovers. Her celebrated book for older children, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit was based on her own life as Judith spent her early childhood in Berlin but moved to the UK after the rise of Hitler in 1933. In Creatures Judith tells of her family's struggles with language and money, and what it was like to be a German refugee in London during the war.

Post your question to Judith and let us know your favourite Judith Kerr book by 10am on 17th June and we'll post up her answers and announce the winner of the signed book on Monday 24th June.

moonbells Thu 06-Jun-13 14:21:16

Many thanks Lara!

Blatherskite Thu 06-Jun-13 14:27:44

This is one of the few 'classics' we've never bought a copy of. We have Mog as that was one of my favourites as a child.

I can never read Goodbye Mog as I would just sob.

Bombs, flowers... all much of a muchness...

DS loved When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit last year when he was seven and was desperate to read the next one, but I've kept him away from Bombs on Aunt Dainty for now because I'm not sure he's ready to tackle some of the emotional issues towards the end just yet and I don't want him to be put off.

On a terribly prosaic note I'd like to ask where in Putney the guest house moved to; I keep looking around for likely candidates every time I go up Putney Hill.

i know smile - the reason I put the series in 10upwards was because of Aunt Dainty.

Merguez Thu 06-Jun-13 14:36:12

Judith - I just wanted to say that the Tiger Who Came to Tea was my favourite book as a child (and I was named after the protagonist!)

I also enjoyed reading it with my own children (now teenagers) and loved the now-retro style of illustrations (although of course that is how people dressed when I was a child).

Thanks for giving us all so much pleasure.

pmgkt Thu 06-Jun-13 14:38:24

Love the mog books but have never read the tiger. I have often thought I would like it though as her others are so easy to read

sleepyhead Thu 06-Jun-13 14:39:40

We love, love, love TTWCTT in this house!

It's just like the sort of story my now 6 year old would have told when he was about 4 - what did you do today ds? Oh, a tiger came to tea and drank all the water in the taps so I couldn't have a bath and then we went to a cafe for sausages and I wore my pyjamas!

He now tells people stories about him being allowed to go to the park on his own at midnight and meeting all his friends there (also fantasy I can assure you).

I love the pictures and especially the clothes.

NulliusInBlurba Thu 06-Jun-13 14:43:02

I'm a long-time Berliner and my children were born here. I think it's a great place for kids to grow up now. It must have been a very different experience for you in the early 1930s.

So, since I can only ask one question: what's it like having a whole school named after you? Have you been there for a visit? Our French-German neighbours go there and it sounds like a lovely place, but the Europe schools in Berlin are sadly really under threat at the moment!

Firewall Thu 06-Jun-13 15:43:54

We love MOG!!

My question is where did you get your inspiration from for your books? Did you ever think at the time they would become such classics and loved by many generations?

Tiger is our absolute favourite in this house. I adore the thought that has gone into the illustrations and the slightly whacky other-worldness of the plot. I have been a champion theoriser of the 'meaning' of Tiger, but I recently read a quote from Judith on the subject suggesting that 'sometimes a story is just a story'. I think that's lovely, so I'll refrain from asking any questions about this!

Instead, my question is to do with Mog. Towards the end there is a delightful illustration of everyone having a cup of tea together in the kitchen including the sorry-looking burglar. What was the thinking behind this portrayal?

nannynick Thu 06-Jun-13 15:54:27

Love Tiger who came to tea, have audio version as well print edition. Audio version is great how the tiger adds in dialog about things like tins and packets being nice, what's inside is quite nice too!

Question: Is a new version needed now that we don't have a boy from the grocers? Have to keep explaining that is like the supermarket shopping van coming.

MrsBungle Thu 06-Jun-13 15:56:43

Hello Judith <excited>

I loved the tiger who came to tea when I was a child and my nearly 4 year old loves it also smile

My question is: are there hidden meanings about who the tiger is or is it just a simple strange tale? Also, the ginger cat in the street in the picture at the end of the book - is there any meaning to that?

LookAtHerGo Thu 06-Jun-13 16:00:51

My daughter is such a little bookaholic and I'm forever thinking of new books to get, I remember this well from when I was younger, it'd be lovely to read it and if I don't win a copy I'll be putting in the to buy list.

GladbagsGold Thu 06-Jun-13 16:04:28

My DC love the Tiger, thank you for writing it. My question is, do you ever wish the mother was a bit less of a, well, drip? I struggle so much with the part where she has No Idea what to do until clever Daddy gets home to save the day.

Bearandcub Thu 06-Jun-13 16:27:48

We love TTWCTT. Thank you for such a fun story. I'd like to ask: Is the mother an addict and the tiger a fantasy to cover the neglect of the child?

Lord that sounds harsh so I'll be a coward and ask what accent should the mother have? No idea why in my mind she's Glaswegian.

lunar1 Thu 06-Jun-13 16:38:36

I read this book as a child and it is now a firm favourite for my boys. How does it feel to have your work read and loved by generations of families?

Mmmango Thu 06-Jun-13 16:40:48

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit was a favourite book of mine, I never knew that it was part of a trilogy and never realised that it was written by the author of TTWCTT <mindblown>

Thinking about a question, will come back for the webchat...

gazzalw Thu 06-Jun-13 17:16:17

Did your early childhood experiences escaping Fascism and coming to the UK shape your career at all? Did you know from when you were a child that you would be a writer and a best-loved one at that?

We absolutely love your books in this house and found the one where Mog dies to be particularly helpful in explaining to our young DCs about the death of their own pussycat sad.

cocoplops Thu 06-Jun-13 17:18:40

I love the Tiger that Came to Tea - love the unfailing politeness of the mother despite the tiger's gargantuan appetite, love drinking all of the water and all of Daddy's beer and chuckle at the fanfare entrance of Daddy to save the day (my DH especially likes that bit)! Always makes me want sausages and chips for my dinner too!

My question is - which comes first - story idea or illustration idea?

HazelDormouse Thu 06-Jun-13 18:05:33

My son adores The Tiger Who Came to Tea. He liked to listen to it on a cd player until it got scratched from over use.

My questions are: Did you write The Tiger Who Came to Tea for one of your own children? Do you ever make up stories for family members ie. children/grandchildren which are never published?

Raaraathenoisybaby Thu 06-Jun-13 18:07:58

I love love love Mog and I must get dd1 more to read grin

Change2013 Thu 06-Jun-13 19:05:15

TTWCTT is such a great book for adults and children. It was one of the most popular books when I worked in nursery and inspired lots of fantastic role play. I also love Mog, there is something special about the illustrations.

Can't wait to introduce my 14 month old granddaughter to these books.

Swimmingwithsharks Thu 06-Jun-13 20:14:42

Ohhh we love this book and many of the Mog stories too. We just got my son a toy Mog and plonked it next to a Mog book...so now there is one more stuffed toy in the bed at bedtime!
Has anyone read the review on Amazon about The Tiger Who Came to Tea that vilifies the book for stereotyping and sexism? Laughed so much. Seriously as a stay at home mum, uuuum my life is pretty much the same, tho still waiting for a Tiger to come for tea.
We love Judith Kerrs illustrations. Particularly showing the relationship between Sophie and the tiger. I hope they don't 'update' these books.

Is the tiger one of Judith Kerr's family cats? Was the book a reflection of Judith Kerr's home life?

JulesJules Netherlands Thu 06-Jun-13 20:24:19

Happy Birthday Judith!

I adore The Tiger Who Came To Tea and the Mog books (except I could never read the last one to my children without crying) but my favourite book is When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit.

My daughter is reading it now, and she wants to know: it was so difficult for you to learn French to start with - do you still speak French, or did you forget it all when you had to start again with learning English?

insanityscratching Thu 06-Jun-13 20:33:57

I wanted to say Mog and The Tiger Who Came To Tea have been very much loved books in our house. So considering I have five children and I have read them to them many times each I'd say I must have read each book at least five hundred times. No wonder I could recite them at one point.
So my question is ..... when you first published these stories did you have any idea how popular they would be and could you have imagined that all these years later the books are a staple on most school book shelves?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now