PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

The Tiger Who Came To Tea: apply for your FREE copy and post a question for author Judith Kerr: Q&A AND GIVEAWAY CLOSED

(125 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-13 10:02:31

This week we have 50 copies of Judith Kerr's classic The Tigers Who Came To Tea to giveaway. Apply for a free copy

We're delighted that author Judith Kerr is joining us for a Q&A to celebrate her 90th birthday and the publication of her beautiful retrospective called Judith Kerr's Creatures: A Celebration of the Life and Work of Judith Kerr. Everyone who posts a question to Judith and joins the discussion on this page about her books will be entered into a draw to win a signed copy of Judith Kerr's Creatures.

Judith is one of Britain's most well known children's author and illustrator and her most well known books, the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea are classics across generations of book lovers. Her celebrated book for older children, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit was based on her own life as Judith spent her early childhood in Berlin but moved to the UK after the rise of Hitler in 1933. In Creatures Judith tells of her family's struggles with language and money, and what it was like to be a German refugee in London during the war.

Post your question to Judith and let us know your favourite Judith Kerr book by 10am on 17th June and we'll post up her answers and announce the winner of the signed book on Monday 24th June.

johnworf Thu 06-Jun-13 12:25:19

The tiger in the dream Debbie has in Mog really is the Tiger Who Came to Tea isn't it? My 5 year old is convinced it is him.

Goldensunnydays81 Thu 06-Jun-13 12:30:10

My favourite book when I was little and also a current favourite on my son who is 2.5 he loves the fact that the tiger eats everything! He also has to lick all the cakes on the pages so as you can imagine ours is a very loved book smile m

johnworf Thu 06-Jun-13 12:33:03

I meant to add that Mog and TTWCTT are firm faves in this house. The tiger book is in pieces it's been read so many times.

dinkystinky Thu 06-Jun-13 12:38:38

Ah, the tiger who came to tea is a much loved classic in our house. My question for Judith is from ds2 (aged 4) - where did the tiger come from and why was he so hungry and thirsty?

moonbells Thu 06-Jun-13 12:39:21

I have never read this book! Have read some Mogs though. When I go to the link I get "This form is currently private and cannot be viewed by the public." :-(

AtYourCervix Croatia Thu 06-Jun-13 12:40:09

I can still recite TTWCTT. My daughters are 15 and 17.

Mog was also a firm favourite. Mog and Bunny being top.

Bonkerz Thu 06-Jun-13 12:42:35

I have made the tiger who came to tea into a story sack with toy tiger and food etc. the children love acting out the story!

TheDeadlyDonkey Thu 06-Jun-13 12:47:56

I get the same link as moonbells.
I too have never read this book and would love to!

kw13 Thu 06-Jun-13 12:51:48

This is the nearest I am ever going to get to meeting Judith Kerr isn't it?!I read When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit over 30 years ago and just loved it. My grandparents came over from Eastern Europe pre Second World War but this was the first book that I read where the child's point of view came across about such life changing events. Still have my copy, and still occasionally read it. Mog was new to me when I became a parent, but my DS (even though nearly 7) still likes it. It's the illustrations with the Tiger Who Came to Tea that get to me every time - almost make me cry with how poignant they are. If you are passing these comments on to Judith Kerr, please tell her how much she has meant to so many of us.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-13 12:55:26

moonbells

I have never read this book! Have read some Mogs though. When I go to the link I get "This form is currently private and cannot be viewed by the public." :-(

Sorry about that, I've made the wufoo form live now so you can apply for this giveaway.

Patchouli Thu 06-Jun-13 13:51:34

Oh my! A discussion about The Tiger who came to Tea with Judith Kerr on Mumsnet!?
Wow. That could be a can of worms grin

I love some of the Tiger threads and theories on here!

I've only just now learned she is the same author as When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. I read that as a child myself (a valuable read) and have it in mind for DD when she's a bit older - she's more Tiger Who Came to Tea age just now - and she loves that.

CheeseStrawWars Thu 06-Jun-13 14:00:32

I love TTWCTT! I love the collision of the bizarre and the mundane; the image of all the water in the taps being drunk tickles me and DD in particular. Where did the idea come from, of a tiger coming to tea? What does the tiger represent? We have our theories in this house but I would love to know the "official" version.

My favourite book is "Mog the Forgetful Cat". Loved it when I was little and my mum read it to me, and I love reading it to DD now we have a "nice but not very clever" cat of our own.

Wincher Thu 06-Jun-13 14:01:51

I've just recently got hold of 'out of the Hitler Time', the trilogy of which When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is the first book. I loved that as a child, but hadn't read the later books till now and I really enjoyed them. I don't really know her books for younger children so would love a copy of The Tiger Who Came to Tea to read with my 2 year old.

Trying to think of a sensible question to ask! I will ponder...

DeWe Thu 06-Jun-13 14:03:35

My daughter read "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" a couple of years ago, and she wanted to know what "Anna's" dad's actual name was, what he wrote, and whether his books are still published, and whether he knew that "Anna" had published her own books before he died.

She was most put out that I wouldn't let her read books 2 and 3 in the series, but she was only 6 at the time.
Mog books have been huge successes in this house, we've laughed so much over the expressions Mog gets on his face, and all cried over "Goodbye Mog"-saddest book ever. sad

were you on drugs at the time of writing this book?
serious question

dd questions, how can he drink all the water in the tap

why did he never come back again

and why does it say goodbye goodbye goodbye out of a trumpet at the end

it really is rather bizarre
she likes it though

countingdown Thu 06-Jun-13 14:08:06

We are on our second copy of TTWCTT - our first was so tatty as read so frequently. There are so many books which make me groan inwardly when my children choose them, but I never feel like this about TTWCTT. It truly is a classic which I will never tire of.

Nerfmother Thu 06-Jun-13 14:08:51

This is such a brilliant imaginative book. However, is it really mummy who has an eating disorder and the tiger is a tall tale conjured up by Sophie as a coping strategy?

Periwinkle007 Thu 06-Jun-13 14:09:19

oh I love her work.

NiniLegsInTheAir Thu 06-Jun-13 14:09:29

This is going to be amazing, so exciting grin! I'd love to know the official reasoning of the tiger - my theory is that the Mum is a depressive and afraid of her husband.

I loved the Mog books as a child! When I was at university and working at the uni library a decade ago, one of the trainee teachers returned a few books, which included Goodbye Mog. I'd never read that one so I stood at the counter (no customers!) and read it then and there. Cried my eyes out in full view of colleagues and some very hmm looking fellow students and I didn't care one bit, Mog was gone!

maybe its a life of pi type thing!
the tiger is really the gran or the sibling

Flowers for Aunt Dainty is the best of the Hitler books smile

I loved that.

Judith Kerr is such as amazing writer - and how many people only know her for TTWCTT? shock

Can you please ask her if she'll do an event at my book shop, being as it's got to close now? I'd love to go out with a bang!

flowers for aunt dainty??? confused

Bombs on Aunt Dainty!

Periwinkle007 Thu 06-Jun-13 14:14:00

ok my youngest daughter's favourite book is Mog and Bunny and mine and my eldest daughter's is probably Mog and the Vee Ee Tee.

My question is that my eldest daughter wants to be an author and illustrator when she is older (she is still only 5.5) and spends a lot of time writing and illustrating her own stories and poems. What advice would Judith give her/us to encourage her?

SisterMatic Thu 06-Jun-13 14:18:26

I absolutely adore TTWCTT, my eldest often chooses it as her bedtime story. I like doing the Tigers voice blush
My question would be...what accent does the Tiger have? (Just so I can get it right for future bedtimes) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now