Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaways this week: Wendy Quill is a Crocodile's Bottom

(30 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-May-13 12:57:26

We have fifty copies of the superbly titled Wendy Quill is a Crocodile's Bottom to giveaway this week. Written by Wendy Meddour and illustrated by her 12 year old daughter Mina May, this is a story about school, friendships and family life and aimed at fans of Tom Gates and Clarice Bean. If you know someone who you think would enjoy Wendy Quill, apply for a free copy and find out more about the book. We ask all those who are allocated free books to come back to this thread and post your feedback.

Crinklecut Sat 20-Jul-13 23:52:48

My Dd loved the pace of this book. It was just right for her, and she thought it was really funny. She read it with her dad, who also enjoyed it!!

lisata Wed 17-Jul-13 02:27:17

For the record my two BOYS love this book. So don't forget to give it a try on them to. Also look out for wendy's other books - Hen in a wardrobe and the black cat dectectives.. They are faves of ours!

maryburrows Fri 28-Jun-13 17:15:20

very funny book- the fact there were only a few words per page and they were broken up with seriously cool pictures - would mean that a not so confident new or reluctant reader would be encouraged to keep going until all the story was explored. Also liked the add ons. Liked Wendy saying that to be famous you needed to be not the same as everyone else- amessage to youngsters that it's O.K. to be different- just be yourself!(And stand up to the bullies).

Yasmin1 Thu 27-Jun-13 21:35:45

My 10 year old daughter absolutely loved the book. She read it in one day!! Her review on the book is that " It's really funny, couldn't put the book down once I started because the story was really interesting about Wendy. The pictures were really good too."
She said she would love to read more stories about Wendy!.

Thanks

missusjen Sun 23-Jun-13 09:14:01

This is a really lovely book with absolutely loads to capture the interest and imagination of a young lady. It's a style I loved when I was 7-10 as it made me feel I was reading a more 'grown up' book. It has caught the interest of my 13 year olds, although I think they're clearly too old for it really, but they've read it and agree that they'd have loved it when they were younger. The story is simple and the language seems perfect. It's a real fun book and I think would captivate a reluctant reader very well.

smileyhappymummy Sat 22-Jun-13 09:10:20

Here is my 6 year olds review:

I think this was a very good book. It is funny. The 11 year old did very good pictures.

She read it in a day as well and seemed totally engrossed so I reckon it's a good one!

mummylovescakes Fri 21-Jun-13 14:17:59

Firstly thank you very much for the book. My eight-year old was really excited about reading it. The pictures were excellent and my daughter was amazed that they were drawn by Mina May. She said:
'This book was excellent and really funny. I like how you have three stories with Wendy trying to become famous'.

creambun Fri 21-Jun-13 11:26:52

Thank you for our copy of Wendy Quill. My daughter (age 8) absolutely loved it - so much so that we had to go the book shop as she really wanted to read the next book in the series. Unfortunately it's not out yet, but she's very excited that there will be a another book about Wendy Quill!

Here is my daughter's review:
I really enjoyed Wendy Quill is a Crocodile's Bottom. My favourite bit was when she was the crocodile's bottom in the play. It was very funny because she kept bumping into things. I liked the pictures too because they are very funny. I think Mina May was very clever to have drawn them.

lottietiger Wed 19-Jun-13 22:23:58

Really loved this book, it took ages to read as we kept getting sidetracked by the pictures and little side stories. The humour was great, we had lots of giggles and the funny characters and stories took me back to my school days smile. I would definitely buy more of Wendy's books.

annie06 Mon 17-Jun-13 21:25:15

My 8 year old daughter loved this book. Will definitely look out for more by Wendy Meddour.

Hellsbells1965 Mon 17-Jun-13 19:20:57

This book was read by my daughter Lucy Simpson who is 7 nearly 8 and the following is typed by her and her opinion of the book.
I really enjoyed this book. Some of the words were hard , but apart from
that It was great. I would read more of her books.

Crinklecut Fri 14-Jun-13 21:15:07

My dd is loving the book, and thinks the pictures are just amazing. Will post again when we get through it a bit more.

Tweeter Fri 14-Jun-13 16:44:57

My name is Emma I am 9 I received your book last week I was so surprised shock. I read the first 3 pages in the car on my way to school I showed my best friends the book we read a bit each out loud in the playground. I can't pick a favourite part it was all really good. The pictures were excellent. Thank you to mumsnet for picking me for winning if you send more books I would be delighted to read them flowers bye for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

ReluctantBeing Wed 12-Jun-13 22:39:54

DP has started reading this with our son, age six, and they love it too! DP says it has the perfect quick tempo to keep the interest of a young child and it is witty. It's quite poetic in its rhythm.

lottietiger Wed 12-Jun-13 18:58:50

Just received my copy today thankssmile I havent read it yet but the pictures look fab!! i will be back to review soon

WendyQuill Wed 12-Jun-13 14:48:45

I just wanted to say thank you very much for reading my book because manners are very important. And your reviews make me all full up of giggle-wheezes. Lots of love, Wendy Quill x

PSG1968 Wed 12-Jun-13 11:00:00

Great book my SD couldn't wait to start reading it she liked Wendy's illustrations and though it was a very interesting and funny read and wants to know more about Wendy too.

katb1973 Tue 11-Jun-13 17:53:36

Thanks for my copy Mumsnet, my niece (8) read it and thought it was hilarious. She thought the layout and illustrations were entertaining and made her want to read on. She also liked the following parts:
How the Roman's were described
How Kevin the Rat finally paved her way to stardom
She couldn't believe that a 10 year old had done all the illustrations....has inspired her to draw more!!!

clux73 Mon 10-Jun-13 21:22:45

My DD has now finished the book. She says she really enjoyed it and wishes Wendy was in her class as she would be very entertaining. She loved the illustrations and says she wants to read more about Wendy. She found it a nice easy bedtime read and says she will tell her friends about it. Thank you for sending it to her.

Kiwirose Mon 10-Jun-13 21:17:12

this book is great. We loved the typography and all the little extra bits by the side. the illustrations are brilliant - are you sure they are by a child? they seem far too good. I thought the funniest story was the one about the sensible shoes. (although my kittle girl thinks being a crocodile's bottom is very funny).

I would definitely recommend this book - and this book illustrator.

I can't wait for some more.

ReluctantBeing Mon 10-Jun-13 10:24:13

What a funny book! It is well written, much in the style of the brilliant Jacqueline Wilson, and the illustrations keep a younger reader interested.
I really liked that the book had three shorter stroies in it, which are perfectly sized for a younger child, whereas an older one would read the whole thing in one sitting.
I hope that the authors bring out more - I am an English teacher and I would recommend it to (predominantly female) students. More able ones will enjoy the relevant stories and the humour, and the easy access of the shorter stories will appeal to less able readers.

MaisyMoo123 Sun 09-Jun-13 21:50:54

My 7 year old dd read this pretty much in one sitting and really enjoyed it. It really appealed to her sense of humour and she took great delight in retelling the favourite bits - the face paint incident seemed particularly popular! Whilst she liked the pictures she did comment that she wished there was "more words and less pictures". Thanks for sending it to us!

LLW Sat 08-Jun-13 10:58:39

My 7 year old daughter says:
"I liked the main character because she was very funny. And I liked the pictures at the side by Meena May". Thanks for sending the book!

amapola Sat 08-Jun-13 09:49:08

I love the illustrations, well done Mina. I've read it and I liked it although didnt like much the names on the kids. My kids havent had a chance to read it yet but are quite intrigue by title, which I think it is great.

MaisyMoo123 Fri 07-Jun-13 11:42:54

My 7 year old dd is very excited about reading this (once she's finished the Enid Blyton she's currently got on the go!) - the title has already had her giggling and intrigued. She also loves the pictures but did comment on how there seemed to be more of them than text when she flicked through. She's looking forward to sharing her feedback so we'll be back with that soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now