PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Learn Love in a Week by Andrew Clover

(46 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-May-13 11:03:45

If you're a fan of Helen Fielding or John O'Farrell you may want to apply for one of 50 copies of Andrew Clover's novel, Learn Love in a Week. This is a hilarious and sharply observed novel about modern marriage, relationships and family.

Andrew Clover is a writer and comedian best known for his 'Dad Rules' column in the Sunday Times. Find out more and apply for a copy. Once you've read the book, join the discussion and post your thoughts up on this thread.

CarolLesley Sun 04-Aug-13 14:44:39

I saved this book (the first I have "won" which was a lovely surprise) to take on holiday, but I am afraid that I was disappointed. I laughed a couple of times over the first few pages, but then became rather irritated by the characters and storyline (even allowing for the usual predictability of this type of novel). It was a very easy read and I did finish it, but it went straight into the hotel's book exchange afterwards.

serendipity1980 Tue 30-Jul-13 16:49:46

This was a funny book, and I really wanted to read to the end. It was an easy read, but some it was rather unbelievable! However, I thought was entertaining. I wouldn't really read it again though, I donated it to the charity shop, but still good for light reading.

Fiendarina Mon 29-Jul-13 17:41:35

Thanks very much for the book, even though I can only give it a lukewarm review.
I'm a great consumer of light-hearted fiction, but found this one frustrating. I would quite happily have banged the heads together of the frustrating & unlikeable female leads, was irritated by Malcolm and couldn't really understand the appeal of James, other than Mrs Merton stylee "what first attracted you to the millionaire businessman?". Maybe I was just jealous of James' amazing ability to pick up loads of freelance work as soon as he put his mind to it!
However, some of the descriptions of family life really struck a chord, capturing with humour the day-to-day reality of childcare. I particularly liked the offspring refusing to get into their bath, then negotiating like trade union leaders to avoid coming out again.

Popaleen Tue 16-Jul-13 13:46:29

I enjoyed my free book (thank you MN). Looking at life through each characters observations on the daily nitty gritty of family lifving. Perhaps predictable at points but you still wanted them to realise what they had before carelessly throwing it all away. Made me cringe at times and laugh at others. A good read that makes you appreciate what you have. Worth a read I would say.

Coppernob Wed 03-Jul-13 07:49:37

I finished reading this last night. Unfortunately I can't say that I really enjoyed it. I got bored with it but battled on hoping that it might improve. Sadly I was wrong. No laugh out loud moments for me. I know others have enjoyed it, but it wasn't for me.

MunchkinMama Mon 01-Jul-13 20:16:30

I really like the book. Its a light hearted, fast and fun read. I found that I could relate a little part of each character to some point in my life and there are quite a few comical scenes that make a sitcom easy to envisage.

ElectricSoftParade Sun 23-Jun-13 19:03:32

Thank you for my copy of the book.

I enjoyed it in a nice, easy read sort of way but I actually didn't warm to any of the characters. However, I will look out for further books by the author as I liked his way of writing.

smileyhappymummy Sat 22-Jun-13 09:08:06

I was really looking forward to this as a light easy read, but never really got hooked. I've read it a few pages at a time and ended up feeling like I was trudging through it. I didn't really like the female characters - polly especially just seemed so selfish and mean to Arthur. Expected mre really funny bits too but felt like all the best jokes were in the blurb on the back.

sillylily Sun 16-Jun-13 15:35:48

I enjoyed Learn Love in a Week. Seemed to be suffering a bit of an identity crisis - part comedy, part self-help, part serious drama. It was not as funny as I expected from the cover reviews but there were a few places where I snorted with laughter. The observation of a family and long term relationship was insightful. The story is told from three points of view and I found the constant change of narrator a bit irritating, but that's probably a personal view.
OH had the idea from the title that it was some sort of saucy instruction manual and was very disappointed!
Overall a good lighthearted read.

Debzarella Thu 13-Jun-13 22:55:14

I dont know what I was expecting from this book but found that as I got further into it I got more hooked! I was trying to read it at every opportunity this week and even my hubby commented that it must be good! It was a nice, lighthearted read that I didn't have to think too much about! Thanks very much smile

TiredFeet Tue 11-Jun-13 20:31:20

Well, I finished this last night, that is the fastest I have read a book since DS was born so that has to say something.

I agree I found Polly's attraction to James Hammond unconvincing but there were definitely some really interesting thoughts and very funny bits in there. I really liked some of the descriptions of family life, not just with his children but also their parents. I found Arthur and Malcolm very likeable and it was interesting to get that viewpoint coming across for a change. Also, I have recently separated from DH albeit for different reasons (no other people involved) and some of the stuff about separation etc really resonated with me.

halfaglassofouzodestructo Tue 11-Jun-13 17:41:30

I finished this last night. Overall it didn't really grab me. Entertaining in parts but I didn't really care about any of the characters. Polly in particular I found really unsympathetic. James Hammond didn't even have a superficial charm that made you understand why Polly was attracted to him. Having said that bits were funny and I too liked the infant trade unionists!

creambun Tue 11-Jun-13 14:55:22

First of all, thanks for my copy. I was really looking forward to reading this as I haven't read a really funny book for ages, but unfortunately it wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be. The bits involving Arthur were the funniest and some bits did really make me laugh. But other parts I felt were a bit predictable and I found it hard to like the female characters. Arthur and Malcolm were both very likeable and I did find it interesting to read about family life / arguments from different points of view.
I especially liked the descriptions of family life with the children e.g. refusing to get in the bath then refusing to get out, all speaking at once so you can't concentrate etc. They were the best and funniest bits of the story.

magentastardust Mon 10-Jun-13 00:23:22

I am about half way through , I am quite enjoying it and the references to everyday life are raising a smile from me. So far I am feeling quite sorry for Arthur but the two female characters aren't particularly appealing. It is a light read which is perfect to dip in and out of which suits me fine with having my own 3 children I don't have that much time to sit and read without interruptions.

Year6Mum Mon 10-Jun-13 00:01:47

I seem to have read a different book to some of you. Fair enough, it’s pacey and conversational, but I thought it was scattered with ideas and great writing. ‘It takes ages to get them out of the bath. They sit there like infant trade unionists, refusing to budge.’ ‘Interesting fact, most religions were founded by parentless people...’ Since Bridget Jones, I haven’t read a book that was so light, yet so clever. I loved the way the action melded with the Learn Love advice. Did anyone else find it seemed to fit their week? I started on Monday. I felt irritated by my boyf, like Polly, felt tense at work, like Em. Sure, the story then spun off in other directions. I didn’t end the week in a big climax at a posh party with a swimming snake. But I finished it last night, and felt inspired and loving. Yes it’s funny. But I also found it passionate, absorbing, and very wise. I can’t imagine a more perfect summer read.

SunshinePanda Sun 09-Jun-13 10:23:22

I think as a light hearted holiday read it worked. As I was reading I was hoping to engage more with the characters. Arthur, to me, was the most interesting character and it was pleasant change to focus on the male voice in this genre.

sharond101 Sat 08-Jun-13 22:38:10

I am still enjoying this book and giggled while reading it out in the sunshine today. Thank you Mumsnet.

clux73 Sat 08-Jun-13 19:16:48

Finished the book today. Thought the female characters were all totally unappealing and self-absorbed. Quite liked Malcolm but on the whole I thought the book was poor. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and it certainly isn't laugh out loud funny. Really sorry - I don't like to be so negative but it just didn't do it for me

mindingalongtime Sat 08-Jun-13 18:03:34

MaisyMoo123 did you get the Tigers in Red Weather I posted to you?

christabelcass Sat 08-Jun-13 16:40:10

Yes, it's really funny. Great holiday read. Best attempt yet at capturing the daily grind and bringing humour to our everyday muddle. I disagree that it's full of cliches. All very true and honest yet light. I'm taking it to my book group. xx

peppapigrocks Sat 08-Jun-13 10:59:35

Hi there!
Started reading this book this morning and just couldnt put it down!
I have fallen for Arthur, he is just so funny! He appears to be sweet and loves his wife, Polly, but feels that she is no longer feels the same. When i read this book I feel the characters are so absorbing. I believe this would make a good, fresh British film. Looking forward to reading more tonight! Anyone else?

Kimnash1 Sat 08-Jun-13 08:38:32

I'm a book reviewer and blogger and I loved this book. It's a really down to earth story of how daily routine and familiarity can affect a marriage. If I hadn't already got it I would definitely be trying to win it. A cracking read that will make you laugh and cry!

shyhb Fri 07-Jun-13 15:08:06

It was ok. It's not my type of usual book but It's an easy read and good for on holiday.

clux73 Thu 06-Jun-13 23:37:33

I'm about half way through and to be honest I'm finding it a bit dull. Not keen on the characters which always make it hard to care about what happens. I am finding that a lot of the bits which are supposed to make you laugh are a bit cliched. I also think I know how it will end, has a very predictable vibe to it.

Also this is very trivial, but I love books and this really irks me, the cover is one of those really horrible flimsy ones.

I will finish the book and give my final verdict.

nerysw Thu 06-Jun-13 20:14:19

When this arrived I put aside my Carlos Ruiz Zafón half read and it's certainly very different! I'm around two hundred pages in and am actually quite enjoying it. It may be a bit lighter than a 'serious' read but there are amusing bits and so far (unlike most chicklit) I'm siding with the men more than the women which makes a pleasant change. After a long, hard day with work and children (who woke at 5am) it's easy to read and quite fun at times. Mind you, haven't finished it yet, the ending could be rubbish.... I'll let you know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now