Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Learn Love in a Week by Andrew Clover

(46 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-May-13 11:03:45

If you're a fan of Helen Fielding or John O'Farrell you may want to apply for one of 50 copies of Andrew Clover's novel, Learn Love in a Week. This is a hilarious and sharply observed novel about modern marriage, relationships and family.

Andrew Clover is a writer and comedian best known for his 'Dad Rules' column in the Sunday Times. Find out more and apply for a copy. Once you've read the book, join the discussion and post your thoughts up on this thread.

mindingalongtime Thu 23-May-13 11:23:22

Closing date 28th April ?

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-May-13 11:59:23

Apologies for that error, it has now been changed to 28 May.

thecatfromjapan Wed 29-May-13 21:25:50

I'd love to apply but have I blotted my copybook by having been too slow in getting in my question/comment on the last book (Paul Tough book) thread?

I hadn't realised that the deadline really was that rigid. sad Though I suppose I do know now.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-May-13 13:12:53

I have e-mailed the lucky 50 applicants that have been selected to receive a copy of this book. Please remember to post your reviews/ discuss the book on the thread. Happy Reading grin

PetiteRaleuse Thu 30-May-13 13:15:11

Am really looking forward to this book. Thanks for the email. Marking place smile

peppapigrocks Thu 30-May-13 20:57:32

yippee so excited!! cant wait to started reading this!!
Thank you!

Coppernob Fri 31-May-13 10:42:11

My copy arrived this morning thank you. Looking forward to starting it. Pity we're visiting family this weekend or I'd get stuck into it straight away.

MaisyMoo123 Sat 01-Jun-13 21:27:34

Mine arrived yesterday - thank you! Not my usual sort of read at all but I have an open mind and up for trying out something a bit different!

mindingalongtime Sun 02-Jun-13 16:29:27

I received a copy - thank you, and Tigers in Red Weather, and a few others over time, but I have never had an email for any of them!

sharond101 Sun 02-Jun-13 22:08:01

Started this last night and am hooked already.

SunshinePanda Mon 03-Jun-13 17:25:36

Thanks for my copy. I've made a good start and am enjoying it although still trying to weigh up the characters. Yes it does remind me of Bridget Jones, in a good way.

magentastardust Tue 04-Jun-13 16:28:01

Only just received my copy in the post today so will hopefully make a start tonight!

mindingalongtime Tue 04-Jun-13 17:05:49

thecatfromjapan would you like mine, I have finished it? Send me your address and I will pop it in the post.

CaptainSweatPants Wed 05-Jun-13 17:15:09

I'm loving it so far
It's a good holiday / beach read
Lighthearted & fun

busygirl Wed 05-Jun-13 18:10:43

didn't like it at all...boring,full of stereotypies and completely obvious ending.

violetwellies Wed 05-Jun-13 22:14:13

Well, like the parson's egg, good in parts.

It did say laugh out loud on the cover, I didn't. I did smirk at Malcolm's expletive 'the Pope's arse', and actually quite enjoyed the first two thirds of the book but became less enthralled as it went on, the characters all lost their appeal.

I felt that it was written with the hope that it could be a film, the end seemed, rushed and frankly, a bit Boy's Own.

Really glad it was free as I won't be reading it again and will pass it on.

In a nutshell, mildly dissapointing.

Queenofknickers Wed 05-Jun-13 22:19:58

Just arrived! Having trouble imagining someone called Arthur Midgeley being good looking but I'm keeping an open mind.....

lasttothebar Wed 05-Jun-13 23:42:15

It was fairly ok i found the first half better than the ending. Ok for a holiday read.

MaisyMoo123 Thu 06-Jun-13 17:29:29

Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid. I found the characters really shallow (and fairly annoying!) and the "plot" was predictable to say the least. I'm sad to say I didn't even find it that funny either and a lot of what was meant to make me laugh actually made me cringe as it was so cliched. Can totally see that it's a good, harmless light read though -just not for me.

TiredFeet Thu 06-Jun-13 19:44:19

I am quite enjoying this, I usually would prefer something more heavyweight but my brain is frazzled at the moment. Yes there are a few stereotypes and cliches but it is considerably more amusing than most chick-lit and feels more original. So my verdict is that it is quite good for its genre, most of which is admittedly dire. A good holiday read and has me chuckling/smiling quite frequently

nerysw Thu 06-Jun-13 20:14:19

When this arrived I put aside my Carlos Ruiz Zafón half read and it's certainly very different! I'm around two hundred pages in and am actually quite enjoying it. It may be a bit lighter than a 'serious' read but there are amusing bits and so far (unlike most chicklit) I'm siding with the men more than the women which makes a pleasant change. After a long, hard day with work and children (who woke at 5am) it's easy to read and quite fun at times. Mind you, haven't finished it yet, the ending could be rubbish.... I'll let you know.

clux73 Thu 06-Jun-13 23:37:33

I'm about half way through and to be honest I'm finding it a bit dull. Not keen on the characters which always make it hard to care about what happens. I am finding that a lot of the bits which are supposed to make you laugh are a bit cliched. I also think I know how it will end, has a very predictable vibe to it.

Also this is very trivial, but I love books and this really irks me, the cover is one of those really horrible flimsy ones.

I will finish the book and give my final verdict.

shyhb Fri 07-Jun-13 15:08:06

It was ok. It's not my type of usual book but It's an easy read and good for on holiday.

Kimnash1 Sat 08-Jun-13 08:38:32

I'm a book reviewer and blogger and I loved this book. It's a really down to earth story of how daily routine and familiarity can affect a marriage. If I hadn't already got it I would definitely be trying to win it. A cracking read that will make you laugh and cry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now