Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Moranthology by Caitlin Moran - book giveaway from May Bookclub newsletter (NOW CLOSED)

(11 Posts)
musicmaiden Mon 16-Sep-13 23:27:36

Thanks for the book. Believe it or not, I have only just finished it (but have had a new baby keeping me busy). I am very fond of CM, and enjoyed some of these columns very much. She is very self-deprecating and has a stylish way with metaphors. Her strongest columns were the more politicised ones (which show there is substance to her writing) and the interviews. I thought the inclusion of the TV reviews was a bit pointless though, given how they date so quickly, and I skimmed a lot of them. A good read, and but How to be a Woman is a better way to experience her.

KJ123 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:10:16

I quite enjoyed this book, but would prefer to read her articles on a weekly basis ( as they were originally published). I felt they were quite funny and interesting, but the style did not suit a book format, as it got a bit cliched. I can see what Ruggles (-above) means. Saying that I did enjoy it overall and thanks for the free copy!

Ruggles Thu 25-Jul-13 19:33:58

Thanks for my book. Sorry its taken me a long to time to get around to reviewing it, but it took me a long time to finish it. I hate to say this, but I didn't enjoy it all. I found it all very immature and predictable. For me it was like reading a non-fiction 'chick-lit' writer. Books of column writings are always tricky - what can be comforting familiarity in a newspaper, which slowly unfolds as you get to know a writer better can just be too much lumped all together. I know she is one of the most popular female writers of our day, but I don't know what all the fuss is about.

surreygirl Fri 28-Jun-13 12:58:53

Thanks for my copy too...about half way through and it's laugh out loud read...never read her stuff before but will definitely seek her out again and I'm gonna try and get my mitts on 'How to be a woman'.

Kveta Sat 22-Jun-13 11:41:11

I had never read anything by Caitlin Moran before, and am wondering why! She's brilliant! Like a female version of Charlie Brooker almost (although she would probably hate the comparison - but it is entirely meant as a compliment, as I LOVE his writing).

Thank you so much for this book MN, I can see myself rereading it several times over, and will be hunting down How to be a woman too. Very pleasantly surprised!

lorka Fri 21-Jun-13 23:25:23

Thanks so much for my book - Look forward to reading it. Will post again when I have finished it.

AmberEyedHare Thu 20-Jun-13 11:14:17

I've just finished reading this last night. I thought it was genuinely laugh out loud funny. I really enjoyed the style, choice of topics and feel of the book - it was like listening to a clever, funny friend chatting. I am really not doing this justice - am knackered and feeding DS as I type. I really enjoyed it, would recommend it and will be lending my copy on to friends who I've told about the book.

keevafarren Mon 10-Jun-13 22:51:39

Thanks so much for my copy. I have just started part 2 and I am loving it so far. I love Caitlin's outlook and I love the way that she writes. I personally don't mind the swearing, but I understand why it would bother some. I like the format of the book, as things that Caitlin has previously written, and it is definitely making me want to read her 'how to be a woman' book! She is so funny and i love her little rants!!

sweetkat31 Mon 10-Jun-13 16:38:20

Thankyou very much for my copy of the book Moranthology, I've read and it was quite funny, but I thought there was too much swearing!!!! I just don't get why people have to swear so much but anyway thats another thread! I found the book amusing and intelligently written, a good variety of different topics. Thankyou again!

AnonYonimousBird Tue 21-May-13 10:25:54

Brilliant, mine is on its way apparently. Looking forward to it very much and will post back.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-May-13 16:59:24

We offered 50 copies of Caitlin Moran's hilarious Moranthology from our bookclub newsletter in May. We've just sent over the details of the fifty people who have been chosen to receive books to the publishers and as soon as we hear the books have been sent out, we'll email to let you know to expect it. Once you've had chance to read, please do come back and discuss the book on this thread.

Caitlin came in to MNHQ back in September 2012 on hard back publication of Moranthology. Read the webchat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now