PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaway: Invisible Girl by Kate Maryon

(64 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-May-13 12:59:22

Apply for one of 50 advance copies of Invisible Girl by Kate Maryon, due out in the shops on 6th June.

Invisible Girl tells the story of twelve year old Gabriella, who somehow slips through the cracks when she's caught between arguing parents and moving house. The city streets are no place for young girls but they're all she's got. For fans of Cathy Cassidy and Jacqueline Wilson, a stunning new novel from the author of SHINE, GLITTER, SEA OF STARS and A MILLION ANGELS.

Kate Maryon was inspired to write Invisible Girl after reading an article about children running away from home in the UK by Andy McCullough, who works for children's charity Railway Children. As part of the campaign with Mumsnet, Railway Children and Aviva are working with Kate Maryon to raise awareness of this issue and have secured 50 advance copies of the book to giveaway to Mumsnetters. Apply for one of 50 free advance copies of Invisible Girl, and PLEASE post your feedback on this thread. For every post on the thread Aviva will donate £2 to Railway Children. You are allowed to post up to three messages. Thanks

alreadytaken Sat 01-Jun-13 15:49:54

Using books and stories as a starting point for discussion is a great way to raise an issue with children, although not quite as effective as being able to talk to someone who has been there and had the T-shirt stolen. Older children are very much aware that books are fiction and may argue that life isn't really like that. So we also used newspaper reports on, for example, what happens to missing children. The "world's strictest parents" TV show was good for showing teens how well off they were and how bad teens who are spoilt by their parents can become.

MonsterBookOfTyRexs Sat 01-Jun-13 19:39:27

Just received this, will get back when read it.

ADefiniteMaybe Sat 01-Jun-13 21:19:24

Entered!! Looking forward to reading it.

potentiallytotallyshafted Sat 01-Jun-13 21:34:59

looks like a great book that DD would enjoy, and a great cause.

gazzalw Sat 01-Jun-13 21:39:16

Hi we've received our copy. Started reading it to DD (who's nearly 8) as a bedtime story but a few pages in realised it's too 'dark' for her and she said as much herself. Now trying to get DS, to whom it's more appropriate, to read (a novel concept that one - excuse the pun!) but it's already fired my interest. I am considering that we read it en famille once DD has gone off to bed to stimulate talk around this often ignored issue.....

Fuckwittery Sat 01-Jun-13 21:56:16

Hi, I am sorry, I didn't properly read the description of the book when I applied for the giveaway, it is too old for my DD. I will give it to my 14 year old niece when I next see her.
In the meantime I have read it myself and tried to think myself back into my 13 year old self (went through quite a shitty time myself nowhere near like Gabriella).
What struck me as ringing so true is how many people would have helped Gabriella but she was reluctant to reach out, she wanted to be self-sufficient and was afraid to trust anyone, when she did put her trust in a fellow runaway it was misplaced. I thought the book was brilliant and I would have loved it at this age. I will post my niece's feedback when she has read it.

I received my copy and read it. I have absolutely no idea why the publishers went with incredibly girls pink swirly nonsense on the cover. It looks like awful chick lit! And it's unnecessarily limiting to the readership. I was planning on getting DS1 (12) to read it and post his feedback, but it will take some persuading to get him to read what looks like a princess story. It's a shame, as the story itself is absolutely relevant to both genders, and it is absolutely an important issue.

I thought it was very good. I agree that it's very absorbing and you do really care about Gabriella. I thought the ending was unrealistically tidy though. Perhaps that's because I'm experienced enough to know it would never have happened that way (why didn't anyone from social work speak to Gabriella, for example?). Obviously, a happy ending was a good thing, but I'd've liked a slightly more realistic one. I won't spoil it by saying too much though.

I agree with what fuckwittery says about Gabriella's reluctance to trust the many people who could help her, and her fear of getting her dad into trouble, really did ring true.

insanityscratching Sun 02-Jun-13 08:02:54

I've made a start on the book but it's too dark for dd aged 10 (who is a very young 10) so I won't be giving it to her just yet.However it did prompt a discussion with dd who had no idea that children ran away and couldn't imagine why it would ever be necessary. I reinforced that whatever happened in her life even if she thought I'd be angry she could always talk to me or her daddy, siblings or teachers or other family members to get help to put it right rather than ever thinking of running away.

Fuckwittery Sun 02-Jun-13 08:52:43

Yy arbitary, the girly cover is a shame as would definitely appeal to either sex and is not at all a girly book or topic.

gazzalw Sun 02-Jun-13 12:58:03

Yes, a more edgy Malorie Blackman cover would work very well methinks!

Kneedeepindaisies Sun 02-Jun-13 22:44:03

DS and I have made a start on the book tonight and have read the first couple of chapters.

It has already prompted a conversation about homeless people and his experience of them.

I have to agree with the comments regarding the cover. It really is too girly. I guarantee DS will hide it before his friends come round.

It's not only that it's girly though; it's also doing the book a disservice. You'd see it on a shelf and dismiss it as princessy crap.

Kneedeepindaisies Sun 02-Jun-13 23:28:53

Absolutely agree. It looks like one of those free books you get with magazines in the summer.

gazzalw Mon 03-Jun-13 07:25:23

It brings to mind the time-honoured expression "don't judge a book by its cover"...grin. Very apt for this book grin.

gazzalw Mon 03-Jun-13 07:33:47

sorry perhaps not entirely appropriate of me to be using the grin emoticon given the subject matter but you know what I mean....

Cocodale Mon 03-Jun-13 10:35:27

Would like for my 13 yr old daughter and her 10 yr old sister, certainly something to be addressed.

SlittySluttySlots Mon 03-Jun-13 22:08:59

Not sure if the giveaway is still taking place but would love a.copy odd this.book to.share with DD. She is.probably too young now but as a poster up thread said, such young children do.run away - it's heartbreaking.

Even if i don't get a.book, at least Aviva will donate £2 to help the Railway Children continue their valuable work!

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 03-Jun-13 23:41:12

I was planning on reading this with DD (11) but she has taken it off to read alone with a promise to get back to me.

I am pleased to report that she thinks it is really good so far. Not bad for a girl who usually refuses to read anything without vampires.

The girly cover seems quite light for the story to me, but appealed to DD as it is a bit more grown up than Jacqueline Wilson covers.

More feedback will follow when she finishes.

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 03-Jun-13 23:42:54

Forgot to say thank you for the book. DD is very pleased to have an advance copy and took great pride in telling her teacher and friends she got her copy before it hit the shops.
smile

Mograt Tue 04-Jun-13 12:42:29

I was one of the lucky winners so thank you! My 11 year old DD rushed off to read the book alone - she finished it in an afternoon and thought it was an excellent read, very easy to understand and very thought-provoking. We're going to ask if our school librarian is happy to have this donated to the school as a leaver's book in my daughter's name so that the other children can read it.

Kneedeepindaisies Sun 09-Jun-13 20:39:34

We're half way through and DS has enjoyed it ( not sure if that's the right word).

I don't know how much of it he gets but he feels very sad for Gabriella.

I'm finding it sad that she feels she has no one she can go to. sad

Nettyporthole Mon 10-Jun-13 22:26:44

Although a book for children/teenagers, I was immediately caught up with Gabriella's story. Her story was told in detail, but there were hints of what causes others to run away. Tia's father coming into her bedroom in his boxer shorts is the nearest that the book gets with dealing with the issue of sexual abuse, but may be the starting point for discussions with older children. The picture of groups of runaway kids living together in Manchester may be realistic, but I felt that there were only hints of the threats posed by the man in the car for Henny and her runaway friends. For Gabriella there was a happy ending in the book, but it was also clear that for every happy ending there was another child to take her place next to Henny. A boy I used to look after at primary school went missing at age 11 and more than thirty five years later has never been found, so I hope the book raises awareness of the Railway Children campaign.

This was an interesting read, which really highlights the fact that so many children are living on our streets. The book was well written but I felt it was resolved too easily, after chapters that described situations in depth and at length the ending felt a little like the author had hit her required word count and tied it up as fast as she could. My goddaughter (11) said 'yeah right' to the amazingly coincidental finding of Blue bunny in Selfridges and subsequent tracking down of Gabrielle to 'near the swimming pool' but other than that this was an enjoyable and thought provoking read which prompted a discussion about the lives of others.

This is a great book, but as others have said, the cover does it a disservice as I think it will put off some potential readers.
I think it is perfect for reading with children and have already passed it on to a friend to share with her DC.
I found it thought provoking & hope it gets the audience it deserves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now