Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Posting on a book giveaway feedback thread

(7 Posts)
missorinoco Thu 09-May-13 20:54:43

Dear MN,

Any chance you could do a reminder about feedback with an email stating we have been successful in applying for a book giveaway as you do for product tests?

I have been lucky to receive quite a few books, and post when I remember, but I read mainly in bed at night, so remembering to post when I have finished the book relies on my memory, which is generally full to overflowing. Recently the publishers put a slip in with the book, which is helpful, but if I have an email about a successful application for a product test I leave it in my inbox to remind me to respond, whereas I inevitably recycle my reminder slip in a fit of efficiency before finishing the book.

I love receiving the books, and feel ungrateful for failing to post.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 10-May-13 12:48:03

Hi Missorinoco
Thanks so much for your feedback. We have recently started emailing to let folks know when they've been chosen to receive a free book. (There may be occasions when you've slipped through the net but I'm sure you can imagine it's quite a chore dealing with so many books each week). We do this as soon as we've heard from the publisher that the books have been sent out.

We think your idea of a gentle reminder email sent out a couple of weeks after the books have arrived is a great idea. We have done this on a couple of occasions and it really works, but we're also sensitive to the fact we don't want to clog up your inboxes by sending too many emails. It would be great if anyone else has any feedback about this. Would you prefer emails or PMs for example? It would be great to use this thread to hear more about your thoughts on book giveaways. They're relatively new and we're still finessing the best way to manage them. From our point of view (and the publishers) we're always looking at ways to generate more feedback. We have a few ideas but would be great to hear your thoughts also. Thanks

PetiteRaleuse Thu 16-May-13 10:52:20

Just came on to say that the reminder email was a good idea. I would never remember to post on the thread otherwise. FWIW I prefer email to PM.

Wolfiefan Thu 16-May-13 10:54:55

I'd happily get an email.
<hoping I get a book soon!>

Trinski Mon 20-May-13 11:54:23

Yes please to a reminder email. And if it could be a couple of months after the giveaway....I'm not getting through books as quick as I used to.

Liska Mon 20-May-13 22:50:38

Ooh, yes - just to say please to the reminder email. I've also had books I wanted to give feedback on when I finished them last thing at night, and then completely forgot.

Southeastdweller Sun 26-May-13 10:01:41

I agree it's a good idea. Looking forward to receiving my copy of the Rupert Everett book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now