Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

TIGERS IN RED WEATHER by Liza Klaussmann - Win vodka-martini kits for our twitter party on Mid-summer night (21 June at 8.30pm)

(33 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 09-May-13 15:56:37

With the sun out hmm it's time to start thinking about summer reads. Our Twitter bookclub pick: Tigers in Red Weather may be the perfect place to start. Liza Klaussmann's debut is set in post-war Martha's Vineyard in the height of the summer. The novel transports you to a glamorous holiday home full of midday martinis, afternoon tennis and late night parties. Against this backdrop we find a very dysfunctional family whose world is rocked further by a grisly find on the island.

Tigers in Red Weather is tense, atmospheric and pacy; a perfect summer read and we have 70 copies to giveaway. Furthermore, author Liza Klaussmann will be joining us for a twitter party on 21st June. More information about this to come but if you fancy reading the book and joining Liza for the twitter party (plus a chance to win martini cocktails for the event) apply for one of 70 free copies.

Sonotkylie Wed 19-Jun-13 11:53:48

Thank you very much for my free book. I never win anything! And this was one I'd been wanting to read.
I have now read it and came really to love it. Initially I thought it was a bit obvious and even 'chick - litty', good for a beach read but not particularly taxing, (is that how its being badged with the vodka martini twitter party?). But in fact it is much more than that. Very thought provoking about power in relationships, love, damage and happiness, and I find myself mulling it over even after several days. The characters are not particularly likeable, but as the story is told from 5 different points of view that didn't really matter to me, as the perspective on that person changes when the story is told by a different person or a different time. My view of Helena and Nick (the 2 central women characters) changed several times and I found myself having to re-read Helena's part later as I realised I'd got her 'wrong' (and given her too much sympathy, when now I think she is the most poisonous of the lot).
It reminded me of Donna Tartt both The Secret History and The Little Friend. I too think I might need to re read it.
I don't Twitter, so have a lovely party on Friday.

FictionFanatic Wed 19-Jun-13 20:57:07

Just got my cocktail kit and book today - looking forward to reading and drinking - 2 of my favourite summertime treats!

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Jun-13 14:40:56

Now that you all have your copy of Tigers in Red Weather that you received in our recent book giveaway. We want to remind you that tonight is our vodka martini themed twitter Party with special guest, author Liza Klaussmann. If you enjoyed or still are enjoying the book and want to chat with Liza or ask her a question, join the twitter party tonight between 8.30 and 9.30 pm, by following @MumsnetTowers and using the hashtag #TigersInRedWeather.

Wait there's more

All those who join the twitter party using the hashtag #TigersInRedWeather will be entered into a draw to win £50 worth of books from Picador plus a signed copy of Tigers in Red Weather. If you've enjoyed the book but don't use twitter, do join the discussion thread here and post a question there to Liza. You can also follow the twitter party LIVE on this thread.

For more information about the twitter party and tips on how to join in, visit the Tigers in Red Weather page.

lorka Fri 21-Jun-13 23:28:33

Just started reading this book and enjoying it so far. Will post back when I have finished it. Unfortunately fell asleep before the twitter party and missed it as well as the vodka martinis!! Thanks for the book though!! smile

PestoSwimissimos Fri 21-Jun-13 23:50:39

I don't do Twitter, sorry. But I did really enjoy this book. When I read it a couple of weeks ago the weather here was warm & sunny and I really enjoyed a good laze in the garden with this book, as the story was told over a series of hot summers in the USA.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 22-Jun-13 09:04:41

I didn't make it to the Twitter party. Sorry - completely forgot. But I just wanted to add that I really enjoyed reading the book. Thank you MN for my copy.

KneeDeepInDaisies Sat 22-Jun-13 12:49:14

Sorry I didn't make the party. I was out with no signal.sad

I really enjoyed the book. I'm not sure about the ending. It tied up but I don't think I really "got" Ed's motivation to do what he did.

I would like to have known more of the history that made Nick and Helena's relationship the way it was. Obviously the family money and the tiger material but there must be more to it?

I agree with the PP about giving Helena too much sympathy and Nick not enough. Reading some of it back I found my sympathy lying with Nick more.

I would definitely recommend this book. I love the era it was set in and the character depictions. I want to know what happened to their lives after the last page which I think is always a good sign.

AnonYonimousBird Tue 25-Jun-13 10:04:51

I could not get to the party - I am totally useless at Twitter, sorry.

Love the book though, so will get on the discussion thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now