PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

TIGERS IN RED WEATHER by Liza Klaussmann - Win vodka-martini kits for our twitter party on Mid-summer night (21 June at 8.30pm)

(33 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 09-May-13 15:56:37

With the sun out hmm it's time to start thinking about summer reads. Our Twitter bookclub pick: Tigers in Red Weather may be the perfect place to start. Liza Klaussmann's debut is set in post-war Martha's Vineyard in the height of the summer. The novel transports you to a glamorous holiday home full of midday martinis, afternoon tennis and late night parties. Against this backdrop we find a very dysfunctional family whose world is rocked further by a grisly find on the island.

Tigers in Red Weather is tense, atmospheric and pacy; a perfect summer read and we have 70 copies to giveaway. Furthermore, author Liza Klaussmann will be joining us for a twitter party on 21st June. More information about this to come but if you fancy reading the book and joining Liza for the twitter party (plus a chance to win martini cocktails for the event) apply for one of 70 free copies.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 09-May-13 17:22:55

Fingers crossed. I've been wanting to read this one for a while smile

PestoSwimissimos Fri 10-May-13 08:47:43

I completed the form and would be more than happy to participate in a discussion, but I don't do Twitter I'm afraid.

kneedeepindaisies Fri 10-May-13 08:58:51

Fingers crossed here too. This had been on my wish list for ages smile

AnonYonimousBird Fri 10-May-13 10:18:51

I am really hoping for some luck on this one, desperate to read it!!!!! I am not on Twitter either, sorry, but as with Pesto would gladly join a discussion.

I completed the form and would be more than happy to participate in a discussion, but I don't do Twitter I'm afraid.

Sonotkylie Mon 13-May-13 18:08:34

Same for me. I've had my eye on this one for ages, but am a Twitter free zone! How long will I be able to participate in society?

DuchessofMalfi Mon 13-May-13 19:39:21

I hardly ever use my Twitter account. I'm more of a lurker on there, reading other people's tweets grin

kneedeepindaisies Mon 13-May-13 20:47:16

I'm on twitter. Does anyone know the username to follow?

DuchessofMalfi Tue 14-May-13 18:05:57

Good point kneedeep. I would have assumed it was the one with the link at the top of this page, which is Mumsnet on Twitter. But I'm now wondering whether the book pages have their own Twitter page?

kneedeepindaisies Tue 14-May-13 19:12:18

Ive just looked and There is a Mumsnet twitter and a Mumsnet book club twitter.

AnonYonimousBird Tue 21-May-13 10:27:22

Any news on this one??????

preety18 Sat 01-Jun-13 12:19:30

Just received my copy this morning thank you.

Nehru Sat 01-Jun-13 12:20:33

Oh I read it. Was unremarkable.

Kneedeepindaisies Sat 01-Jun-13 18:06:01

Got my copy today. Thank you. smile

KikkiK Sat 01-Jun-13 18:22:36

Got my copy this morning, thank you - made my day! Looking forward to reading it and to the Twitter party. <wonders what to wear>

mindingalongtime Sun 02-Jun-13 16:26:14

I read it too, but bought the kindle version as I tend to read in the early hours. I was very disappointed with it, I found it irritating and all a bit pointless.

Anyone want the paperback? happy to post, just message me.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 03-Jun-13 18:39:27

I received my copy too. Thank you MN. Really looking forward to reading it - it's next on my list. Never been to a Twitter party before grin What time do I pour my wine? grin

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-13 11:35:50

We do hope those of you who received the books have enjoyed reading Tigers in Red Weather and great to see some comment up here already. We now have more information about the TWITTER PARTY on summer-solstice - Friday 21 June at 8.30pm with special guest Liza Klaussman. To get us all in the spirit of the book (no pun intended) the party will have a vodka-martini theme and we have ten vodka martini sets up for grabs courtesy of Picador. If you haven't read the book, there's still chance to win one of ten copies of the book.

Find out more about THE TWITTER PARTY and how you can get your hands on a vodka martini kit or a copy of the book and put the date in your diary for 21 June.

AnonYonimousBird Thu 06-Jun-13 12:59:51

I have mine! Thank you very. Not on twitter yet, so I will need to work that out... Hope to see you there.

PestoSwimissimos Sat 08-Jun-13 11:08:02

Thank you for mine, I read it in the sunshine smile

mindingalongtime Sat 08-Jun-13 18:02:57

I posted mine onto MaisyMoo123 I hope she has received it

WhitegoldWielder Tue 11-Jun-13 15:09:12

Echoing Pesto - thank you for my copy and I read it last week in the sunshine too.

This is the first book I've received after applying for a few others in the past. The short description suggested it would be worth reading although it is one that has passed under my radar even though I belong to a local monthly book club as well as a couple of Internet ones.

On the whole I did enjoy the book although not entirely satisfied with the ending. It is divided up into five character driven sections and I found that it didn't initially grab me until I was at the end of the second section - taking a long time to get a feel for the book and wondering if I wanted to finish it before starting something else. As it was for MN I stuck with it and found that I did want to discover how the story continued and ended.

I had a strong disliking for many of the characters particularly Nick and this may be why I found the book hard going initially. However I also felt I was being manipulated by the author to see the worst of her characters rather than their better qualities. Dysfunctional indeed.

Irritatingly it did remind me of something else I've either seen or read but couldn't pin point and it is suited as a summer read possibly down to the description of scenes, the tension in the plot and the pressures the characters are under.

I will be passing it on to my book club friends as I'm interested in what others feel about it - I did like that the book had questions for discussions at the end. I also think I may need to reread it at some point too.

I had hoped to initially join the twitter party, however I will now be going to another party that night so will have to post on the thread earlier in the day as I may well be under the influence of a few cocktails!

MaisyMoo123 Tue 11-Jun-13 18:53:53

Just started reading this after minding kindly posted her copy on to me (many thanks grin!) Liking it so far. It feels quite escapist and the characters are intriguing. Can't wait to get stuck into it a bit more.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 13-Jun-13 21:48:03

I finished reading it this evening. It took quite a while to draw me into the story but I liked it very much. The final section really was excellent. I'm hiding the plastic bags!

Looking forward to the Twitter chat, and may even have a vodka martini grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now