PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Just What Kind of Mother Are you? by Paula Daly - Apply for free copy and join the discussion

(27 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:37:07

This week's book giveaway is Just What Kind of Mother Are you? By Paula Daly. Paula's debut novel plays to your very worst fears as a mother ? a friend?s child going missing on your watch. Paula takes the reader on a psychological journey through the relationship of the two affected mothers and their circle of friends.

If you're interested in reading and then coming back to let us know what you think and discuss the book with other mnetters then find out more about the book and apply for one of 50 free copies.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 05-Jun-13 10:26:18

I read this quite quickly - it was a nice easy read that you could easily pick up where you'd left off. I enjoyed it for what it was. I did, however, feel like it was "Mumsnet - The Novel", right down to the mention of Greggs, almost as if the author had read lots and lots of threads on MN and then incorporated them into story, iyswim.

My favourite character was Joanne and I felt like there could have been more made of her character and background. Lisa was a good character, but just as much as a cliche as Kate, although for me, both of the mothers were a little too much of one extreme to the other to be realistic. I also found the fact that Kate was actually a nut job a bit of a typical ending - ie. even though she's the one with the "perfect" life and trying so hard to be a good mum, she's crazy and harming her children, whereas Lisa, who's not actually trying that hard at being a great mum (because lets face it, she's not) is the better mum after all. I'm not sure I'm explaining that very well. I felt Kate's story would actually have been far more interesting than Lisa's, but then that would have been a completely different novel and not such an easy read.

I found the thoughts of the abuser uncomfortable to read and not sure if they were really necessary to this particular book.

I agree that it would make a good TV adaptation and as I said before, I did enjoy the book overall. Thanks for the free copy!

lasttothebar Wed 05-Jun-13 23:44:41

Really enjoyed this and would readmore by her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now