Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

How Tom Holland Eclipsed his Dad by Dominic Holland

(11 Posts)
ShadeMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Apr-13 11:50:05

Dominic Holland - professional stand-up comedian, radio presenter, TV personality and author - shares the story of how his eldest son managed, in a handful of years, to outstrip him in show business.

In How Tom Holland Eclipsed his Dad, Dominic charts how a chance spotting of his son at a local YMCA class led to Billy Elliot The Musical, Hollywood and being longlisted for an Oscar.

It's a funny and heartfelt exploration of parenthood, dreams and the unusual paths life can take. Read more about the book and apply for one of 50 free e-book copies, then come back and share your thoughts.

ClaireTommo Sat 06-Apr-13 16:19:21

Dominic, he is really good dad. He gives guidance his sons very well. I'm so respect him.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Apr-13 15:53:56

The ebook giveaway is now closed and we'll be in touch with the fifty who have been allocated ebooks later today. Please do come back and let us know what you think.

clux73 Wed 15-May-13 14:08:29

Hello Mumsnet
I just received an email asking me to give feedback on this book but I didn't ever receive a copy.

UnChartered Wed 15-May-13 15:51:50

I've tried about 7 times to download it, and either i'm too dim to understand the instructions <most likely> or they don't work confused

apols for not bringing this up before

ummlilia Wed 15-May-13 19:53:13

I 'll say right away that I could never write a book myself,and respect those who can...so I'm afraid it pains me to admit that I didn't make it all the way to the end of this book. I got to chapter 16 (of 32) and suddenly felt that I just couldn't raise enough interest to read any more.
I'm not overly familiar with Dominic Holland's comedy career..I'm not a radio listener and passed most of his stand-up era in a haze of nappies..but I do see him from time to time on Channel 5's The Wright Stuff and he seems like a personable chap. I wanted to like this book,but I haven't seen his son's work and didn't find the tales of auditions and family arrangements particularly humourous or engrossing. Perhaps I'm being unfair; I'm not sure what I expected , and maybe ought to have persevered,but it just seemed flat and didn't grab me I'm sorry to say... I suppose we can't all like the same things

CarolL Wed 15-May-13 20:03:59

I downloaded the free book (with help from a teenager). Thank you for a most enjoyable book, Dominic shares his family life and the love and pride he has for his sons is shown throughout the book. Dominic has a great writing style which made me want to read more - and I've just read "A man's life" which was a fantastic novel.

countingdown Thu 16-May-13 12:29:55

I have downloaded the book, but haven't got round to reading it yet. I did think that this was a good way to give books away (although, I do really like it when the postman brings me a surprise book from the giveaway!)

jinglejanglebangles Thu 16-May-13 15:31:01

Thank you for the ebook firstly. I also thought this book was very well written and enjoyable. Dominic wrote with real love about his family and how he supported his son. I laughed many times when I read this. it was just a warm story about the concerns for his son and about his rise to success. I thought it was really beautifully written and really shows an honest fatherly love. Fantastic read and thoroughly recommended!

lasttothebar Thu 16-May-13 20:20:35

thanks for the free eBook agree with another poster good way of giving away books. I haven't finished it yet but I've liked what i've read so far

lotty1965 Thu 23-May-13 23:03:45

I have to be honest and rather embarrassing, I've not had chance to read it yet. I am however delighted that I was chosen to receive it. I have got a holiday coming up and hope to start reading it then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now