Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

The Last Wild by Piers Torday - Apply for free copy and post your feedback

(9 Posts)
nwstokes Tue 13-Aug-13 21:25:22

Finally created time to read book. Clearly a good read even for adults;
expecting the children to enjoy the read but do not think the children will realise the open end.

lasttothebar Wed 05-Jun-13 23:49:48

My kids really enjoyed the story and found it easy to read

shash1982 Mon 20-May-13 12:03:25

Read this book before reading to much dd & I actually enjoyed it myself! Finished within a few days & found it an easy adventure to get in to. Not too scary for a child & the storyline is easy to follow, it's the type of story I would of been enthralled with as a child. I agree with some of the other posts about the open ending though, myself & dd wanted to know how it ended but were frustrated to realise that we would have to wait for a sequel.

effraxofwhug Tue 14-May-13 20:03:53

Delighted to receive this. I read this book selfishly to myself and loved it. I felt it was a book written with a simplicity and directness that can be understood by a child while covering quite complex issues, but that these profound underlying concepts are equally relevant and important to an adult audience. I agree the ending rather suddenly and blatantly opens itself to a sequel, and it did jar somewhat. But I am keen to know what will happen next, so would quite like a sequel despite this.

I will pass it on to my nearly 10 yr old DD when she has finished eating the Harry Potter books! I will be very interested to hear her take, and will up-date accordingly.

StantonLacy Thu 09-May-13 20:20:31

Just finished a first read of this yesterday before I read it to my five year old. I always like to do a read through myself before reading it to him to check for anything he might find distressing or anything I think might be a bit too old for him.

I though it was a great story with good pacing and a sympathetic protagonist. There were some fairly tense scenes, but never so scary that I felt it would be too much for a younger child. I think most children (myself and DH certainly when we were much, much younger) seem to love the idea of stories set in a society of the future where something has gone horribly wrong and then seeing how people deal with it...especially young characters a child can relate to. Not quite in the same realm as the 'post apocalyptic' sort of thing, but I'm sure you know what I mean! This definitely fits that bill.

I liked it, but felt it was a bit of a shame that the ending was so obviously left open for a sequel - I did hope all the plot threads would be resolved at the end or at least on the way to being resolved...partly because I know that DS's attention span probably wouldn't stretch to a sequel (no matter how much he liked the first one - he is probably a bit young though) and partly because I like a neat ending myself (that's what endless books of a song of fire and ice have done to me...I can't take the suspense anymore! grin)

Thanks very much - I look forward to reading it to DS!

tamsyng Mon 15-Apr-13 20:00:53

We recieved the book today and I started reading it to my 7 yr old son, he loves it and said it makes him curious to know whats going to happen next, he didn't want me to stop reading it. I said good night and took the book with me or he may have carried on reading it all night ;)

nappydaysagain Fri 29-Mar-13 17:00:18

I've just entered and it closes 2nd April smile

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 29-Mar-13 10:44:31

When does the giveaway open? This is right up dd's street but I'm on holiday with limited wifi?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Mar-13 10:49:17

A great opportunity this week to get your hands on one of fifty copies of The Last Wild by Piers Torday. Aimed at children aged nine plus, it is described as 'an edge-of-your-seat fast-paced read'. This could be just the thing to entertain your children over Easter. Read more about The Last Wild and apply for a free copy and then get your kids to write up their reviews on this thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now