Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Itch Rocks - Send your questions to author Simon Mayo - ANSWERS BACK

(14 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Mar-13 13:18:24

We've got 50 copies of Itch Rocks to giveaway this week. Simon Mayo joined us last year for a webchat to talk to us about the first book in the series, Itch.

Since then the book has been highly praised by mumsnetters and their dcs so we're delighted to offer Itch Rocks as our giveaway this week and that Simon will be answering your questions again in a Q&A.

Find out more about the book and how to apply for a free copy of Itch Rocks

roselover Fri 08-Mar-13 00:22:17

I am a radio 2 fan - Simons' drive time show is the background to our families teatime - I am a scriptwriter and blogger.....before I had my twins three years ago I was a BBC producer so I know what his day job involves ...I just can't imagine when he gets time to write...do you get up in the middle of the night (midnight) like me Simon?...obviously he is getting it on with it when he does write....he doesn't fanny about on mumsnet like I do....so question - when do you write - small bursts or long days....?

roselover Fri 08-Mar-13 00:23:34

I am a radio 2 fan - Simons' drive time show is the background to our families teatime - I am a scriptwriter and blogger.....before I had my twins three years ago I was a BBC producer so I know what his day job involves ...I just can't imagine when he gets time to write...do you get up in the middle of the night (midnight) like me Simon?...obviously he is getting it on with it when he does write....he doesn't fanny about on mumsnet like I do....so question - when do you write - small bursts or long days....?

Flo7 Wed 13-Mar-13 22:19:42

Hi Simon

Are the three main children in the book based on your own children and are any other characters based on any of your family or friends, please? Also, do you think you could be the next JK rowling and see your books made into films?

Flo

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 12:34:18

The books have all been sent out now and you should have received your copy. Do send in a question to Simon and let us know if your dcs have enjoyed Itch Rocks.

chickensaladagain Wed 20-Mar-13 12:41:05

dd9 is at home poorly today so would like to ask a question....

'I like to write mystery stories but they are a bit scary -how do you not make it too scary for children to read but still be exciting?

from little chicken salad grin

DS2 is dressing as Itch for the (belated) book day at his school! He has several periodic table t-shirts, so he's hoping to wear one of those. smile

payphone Tue 02-Apr-13 11:20:08

Oooh, DS1 absolutely loved 'Itch' - very glad to hear there's going to be another one. Will ask him for a question.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Apr-13 12:21:20

Thanks to those who sent over questions for Simon which we're now sending over to him. Do continue to post up your feedback on this thread and we'll post up Simon's answers when they come back. Thanks.

SimonMayo Wed 07-Aug-13 10:17:38

roselover

It is increasingly difficult to find any time to write at all especially now that I am out and about visiting lots of schools. I have to try to schedule in long bursts. I used to try to write a thousand words a day so at weekends I get up early to accomplish something before anyone else gets up. Procrastination is a constant enemy that has to be fought.

SimonMayo Wed 07-Aug-13 10:18:16

BeerTricksPotter

DS would like to know if you 'become' Itch when you are writing him and is it hard to turn back into yourself afterwards.

And were you good at Science at school?

That’s an interesting question. Yes, in the sense that if I do try to put myself in to his shoes, I know he’ll have certain character traits that he’ll follow. I do try to think like him. You do think yourself into a particular situation, and I think readers are the same, they get to know how a character will react. They know, for example, that Itch finds social situations really difficult and finds them embarrassing, they also know that he’s really brave.

No, I was hopeless at science at school. History was the subject I was really keen on, my interest in science came much later on fuelled by interviewing fascinating scientists on Radio 5 Live.

SimonMayo Wed 07-Aug-13 10:18:43

chickensaladagain

dd9 is at home poorly today so would like to ask a question....

'I like to write mystery stories but they are a bit scary -how do you not make it too scary for children to read but still be exciting?

from little chicken salad grin

I think people like to be scared. Unlike at the cinema, when you’re reading you can turn the light on put your book down and then come back to it later. Some people like being scared in a controlled way. A scary book is a page-turner, isn’t it. There needs to be a balance between scary, funny, adventure – you need all the different aspects in there. If people are scared by a book it means they’re involved and immersed in the plot. If you’re not scared when the hero is in trouble then the author’s not done a very good job.

SimonMayo Wed 07-Aug-13 10:19:14

Flo7

Hi Simon

Are the three main children in the book based on your own children and are any other characters based on any of your family or friends, please? Also, do you think you could be the next JK rowling and see your books made into films?

Flo

No, not really. The only person who bears any relation to any of the characters is my sister who I loosely based Dr Dart, the principal of the Cornwall Academy on. Itch, Jack and Chloe are not really based on anyone. All the children you write about are collections of all the children you know and meet, and the conversations you overhear them saying. I think you can always tell if you’re reading a book written by someone with kids. The starting point was because I wanted to write a story for my son Joe, but Itch is not Joe.

No! I stand no chance of becoming the next JK Rowling. She is an exceptional writer in a class of her own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now