Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

The Mummyfesto by Linda Green - Post your feedback

(19 Posts)
Trinski Mon 20-May-13 12:19:01

Not great literature, but quite an interesting idea and I keep thinking about it a week or so after finishing.

It took a while to get going, but once the election campaign was launched I was hooked to see how they'd get on and then finished the book in two nights (regretting it at seven in the morning when I had to get up).

I'm surprised to hear about people sobbing 'on one occasion'. I think I was crying pretty much for the last quarter.

There seems to be a fashion at the moment to set a story in a place and pop in lots of local references for local people to get as an in-joke and I don't like it. How about describing the place so well that people who've never been there feel like they know it intimately?

I was also annoyed by the way the characters spoke. All three had pretty much the same voice and all the supposedly witty sarcasm left me cold. And trying to convey a Northern accent just by leaving out all the 'the's I find very clumsy.

Someone else pointed out the Jackie/Anna substitution and I also noticed a typo (been/seen) at one point, and near the end one scene started as morning and five minutes later was evening. Does nobody proof-read any more?

I think this would make a great BBC drama, with a good screen-writer to re-write the dialogue. The story itself is involving and moving.

You'll like it if you like easy-to-read mummy variety chick-lit.

Thanks MN for making me read something I wouldn't normally. The scenes in the hospice will stay with me for a long time.

Best line: "Mummy's trendy and she owns Justin Bieber."

lambfam Fri 03-May-13 22:39:02

I am a bit slow in posting but I have now finally read this and really enjoyed it. I think it was a light and easy read - perfect for a summer beach holiday. I liked the characters and could recognise people I knew in them. Although it was not a book that I would read again or say you must read, it was enjoyable. One aspect that got me thinking was about the children's hospices and how important a role they play during a terrible time for many families and it has inspired me to do some fundraising for our local hospice, so perhaps worth reading just for that.

LaraMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-May-13 09:32:19

Congratulations to hermancakedestroyer, your Mummyfesto has won you a £200 Love2Shop voucher. I will DM you later today with more details.

ChaoticTranquility Sun 07-Apr-13 21:39:38

Finally finished this last night.

I enjoyed it. I liked that the story was told from the point of view of the three main characters. The sub-plots weren't gone into as deeply as they could have been but as I assume they were there mainly to illustrate how fully and busy the women's lives were and why they chose the issues they did it didn't detract too much from the overall story. It was a light hearted look at what happens when three mums, fed up with the same old same old, decide to do something about it.

Would this book make my top ten...no, it wouldn't, as I said I enjoyed the book but it didn't 'grip' me, I could read it one night then put it down and not pick it up again for a couple of days. One of the criteria I judge a book on is does it make me want to go out and buy other books by this author and read them too. In this case it didn't. Having said that if I saw another book by this author and the subject interested me then I probably would read it.

greengirlie Fri 29-Mar-13 20:28:12

Just finished this book and I loved it!! I actually sobbed at one part, it has been a while since I have been completely absorbed into a great read or cried as a result of... hmm
I had no expectations of this book and was surprised when I received a copy (love a free book! Ta MN x)
I liked the friendships in The Mummyfesto and the sub plots that surrounded the main story, for me it was just brilliant - I have not read anything by Linda Green before and will definitely be adding her to my reading list grin

Ullena Thu 28-Mar-13 18:56:12

Thanks again for the free copy! Okay, so I finished reading it today. Firstly, there is a glaring error on pg 176 where Jackie is temporily renamed Anna - oops!

Aside from this, I didn't really enjoy it at all, tbh. It was formulaic, predictable, and tried to juggle too many sub-plots: as a result several of them fell short of achieving their potential. I was very disappointed, as I was looking forward to reading this.

I do feel that had some of the sub-plots simply been better developed, then it would have been an enjoyable read, as the characterisations were good. It either needed to focus on fewer topics, or to have added more pages in order to do them all justice!

I wrote a longer, angrier review than this but then I felt too guilty to post it as it was so critical and the book was free!

littlewifey Thu 28-Mar-13 12:32:18

Just received my copy today, thanks Mumsnet!

greengirlie Thu 21-Mar-13 20:22:15

Got my copy and started to read it already. grin

Ullena Tue 19-Mar-13 16:07:40

Wahey, just received my copy!

ChaoticisasChaoticdoes Tue 19-Mar-13 10:41:04

I have just a few minutes ago received a copy of this book. I forgot all about it until I opened the packet grin I started a new book last night so will finish that and then read this one.

Thank you MNHQ.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-13 10:15:32

The book giveaway form is now closed. We'll email you if you've been successful as soon as we have word from the publisher that the books have been sent out. Do come and let us know if you enjoy it.

3mum Fri 01-Mar-13 20:21:58

An absolute right to leave work immediately when a child is ill.

FOURBOYSUNDER6 Fri 01-Mar-13 11:32:59

That all mother and baby changing rooms are clean and aired and have separate feeding room with feeding chair and bits to entertain toddlers in tow like c beebies on high up flat screen tv .... Sick of being shown toilets to feed my baby in !

DuchessofMalfi Fri 01-Mar-13 09:00:46

And when they do provide baby changing facilities they should actually be usable ie cleaned at least as often as the toilets are.

Big gripe with our local Tesco - when DS was a baby in a pushchair. If I needed to go to the toilet too, I would have to take him into the baby changing room, get his nappy changed and then come out and battle into the ladies loos which had two sets of doors so, unless someone else was there to hold one of them open we would get trapped between the two (one opened inwards and one outwards so not enough room to manoevre pushchair through) blush and angry.

Some thoughtful shops provide a loo in the baby changing room because, quite often, we have another child with us who also needs to go to the loo, or we need to go ourselves. It's not much to ask is it, shopkeepers?

stephgr Thu 28-Feb-13 20:43:46

I would like every retail outlet and leisure facility to be required by law to have baby changing facilities.

smileyhappymummy Thu 28-Feb-13 19:57:20

Having just spent a difficult week looking after a poorly 5 year old and a non sleeping 4 month old whilst having flu, I would like a team of Mary Poppinses ready to offer cover so that poorly parents could have sick leave and retire to bed!

hermancakedestroyer Thu 28-Feb-13 19:27:34

I would bring in special chefs to prepare the healthy lunchboxes of a morning, I would make adults be as polite and good mannered as my children are to them in supermarkets and I would scrap the parents race in sports day smile

DuchessofMalfi Thu 28-Feb-13 18:23:36

I was looking at this book in WH Smiths recently - looks interesting. Fingers crossed for a copy smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 11:30:18

We have fifty copies of The Mummyfesto by Linda Green to giveaway this week.

When mothers Sam, Jackie and Anna successfully campaign to save their children's school lollipop lady, they are asked by a TV reporter if they fancy standing in the general election. Soon The Lollipop Party is formed and the mums are on a mission, determined to change things for the better.

Linda Green is an award-winning journalist and has written for the Guardian, the Independent on Sunday and the Big Issue. Linda lives in West Yorkshire. The Mummyfesto is her fifth novel.

Apply for a free copy of Mummyfesto before 10am on Monday 4 March

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now