PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

January book giveaways: The Poison Tree, How Eskimos Keep their Babies Warm and A Year of Doing Nothing - did you recieve a copy?

(14 Posts)
Indith Sat 09-Feb-13 10:27:36

I have finished "How Eskimos..."

Some of the information was pretty interesting, snippets of studies etc. But generally as I was getting into that part it would start winding up the chapter and go back to how she implements stuff in her family and it all got a little preachy. It is a bit of a "look how wonderful my child is she was potty trained early, knows her letters early etc etc and even though she doesn't sleep at night that is only because I'm such a great go with the flow sort of parent."

Sorry, but she got on my tits a bit and once I'd got half way through the book I kind of hoped her second child turned out to be a biting, hitting whirlwind of destruction to dampen her smugness at her wonderful parenting a little.

littlewifey Sat 02-Feb-13 11:36:27

Have just finished the poison tree- couldn't put it down! Certainly not what I would usually go for, but loved the fact that I changed my opinions about the key characters so many times throughout! Thank you Mumsnet

Indith Thu 31-Jan-13 11:40:42

MN you are spoiling me, How Eskimos... came through my door this morning!

I thought that if your name came out more than once you only got one book and another name would be picked out?

Not that I'm complaining grin. It may be some time before I give reviews though at the rate ds2 allows me to read at the moment.

aerynsun Wed 30-Jan-13 13:36:55

I've just received the Eskimos one this afternoon, looking forward to starting it this evening smile

clux73 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:52:38

I just received a copy of the poison tree. Already three chapters in and liking it a lot.

Thank you very much.

goygoy Sun 27-Jan-13 08:59:05

I did, I did! "A Year of Doing Good" dropped through my letterbox yesterday, thank you so much! grin I'm going on holiday soon, so it's already packed in my suitcase!

Indith Sat 26-Jan-13 11:42:47

A copy of "A year of Doing Good" came through my door this morning. Thank you MN smile

leaharrison11 Sat 19-Jan-13 10:42:41

The poison tree has just come threw my door very happy smile anyone else won ?

WantAnOrange Thu 17-Jan-13 07:40:18

When will I know? The suspense is killing me?! grin

leaharrison11 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:26:46

Good luck to all that have tried grin

WantAnOrange Tue 15-Jan-13 17:19:54

Thanks! The Eskimo one looks really interesting. Might put some things into perspective.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-13 17:12:56

WantAnOrange

How do you apply? Am I being daft?

If you click on the links (under the title of each book) in the post above, it takes you through to a page with more info about the books and a form to fill in and apply for the free books below. The form is open until 10am tomorrow morning.

WantAnOrange Tue 15-Jan-13 17:08:27

How do you apply? Am I being daft?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-13 17:02:55

We're giving away 50 x three great books this month and there's still time to apply. The forms are open until 10am tomorrow (Thursday 16 Jan) morning and the books are:

How Eskimos Keep their babies Warm by Mei-Ling Hopgood: having lived everywhere from Detroit to Buenos Aires, Mei-Ling is well-placed to collate the best child-rearing advice from across the world.

The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly - a straitlaced student is captivated by her glamorous new friend. But after a summer at the girl's home she finds all is not as it seems.

and

A Year of Doing Good by by Judith O'Reilly: could you perform one good deed every day for an entire year? That's the challenge one woman set herself.

Click on the links above and apply for the free books this eve and if you're one of the lucky 50 who receives a copy of one of these books, Please do come back to this thread and post your thoughts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now