Please don't promote book giveaways book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

How book giveaways work and how we choose the winners

(16 Posts)
Stokey Wed 18-Jul-12 20:44:23

I just received a book without getting an email telling me I'd won littlewifey and thanks for book MNHQ

littlewifey Sat 14-Jul-12 17:53:26

Hi Mumsnet, have the emails for july gone out to the successful people yet?

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Jun-12 10:21:38

blubberguts

Question: I live in the Republic of Ireland. Is it worth trying to get books or do you not post out of the country?

Again, sorry, but the giveaways are for UK residents only, unless specified. We can try asking publishers if they'll post outside UK, but it's more expensive so not sure they'll be keen on it.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Jun-12 10:16:20

ChooChooLaverne

Oh no, deleted my email by mistake - can you post the link here? Please!

Sorry, only just seen this and the book giveaways have closed sad. For future ref, you can always see the book club newsletter here

blubberguts Wed 13-Jun-12 13:03:32

Question: I live in the Republic of Ireland. Is it worth trying to get books or do you not post out of the country?

ChooChooLaverne Wed 13-Jun-12 10:04:08

Oh no, deleted my email by mistake - can you post the link here? Please!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jun-12 20:54:00

Just a reminder that the book club newsletter is being sent out tonight, so do check your inboxes in the morning. The application forms for book giveaways will go live tomorrow (Wed) at 10am and remain open for 24 hours, so you have plenty of time to read the summaries and pick your preferred free book.

beachhutbetty Wed 06-Jun-12 08:22:21

Thanks for the explanation, much clearer and fairer!

Hopezibah Sun 03-Jun-12 16:49:42

Well done Mumsnet for listening to feedback on the book giveaways and making it fairer for all. You probably didn't need to go as far as blocking a second book if a name is randomly drawn a second time as I think most people are happy with that as long as it is a random draw. This should hopefully give more people a chance in winning a book and enjoying taking part in the book reviews etc. Thank you and well done!

melliebobs Sat 02-Jun-12 22:06:53

*busy

melliebobs Sat 02-Jun-12 22:06:35

Booo my book winning days are over. I've won loads in the past few months and now have a nice healthy stash to keep me. Yay over summer. But you do have to make it fair n give people an equal chance smile

NoraHelmer Fri 01-Jun-12 17:08:40

Sounds very fair smile

BabeRuthless Fri 01-Jun-12 13:21:04

Thumbs up on it not being first come, first served. Gives everyone a fair chance.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:04:58

Phew <wipes brow>

iseenodust Fri 01-Jun-12 10:56:39

Can't be more transparent than that smile

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:50:14

To ensure everyone has a fair shot at accessing our book giveaways, we'll open the application form for each free book at a set time, and we'll announce that time in advance in our Book Club newsletter (click on this link to check you've subscribed) or, for the book of the month, on each book of the month thread.

Once the form is open, it will stay open for 24 hours and any Mumsnetter interested in the book on offer can apply for a free copy. This is NOT a first-come, first-served giveaway; anyone who applies within the 24-hour opening period has an equal chance of being chosen to receive the book.

Once the form is closed, we will then pick 50 names (or 100 etc, depending on the size of the giveaway) at random from all those who have applied.

When we have multiple giveaways running at the same time, you can apply for as many books as you like. But if your name is randomly chosen to receive more than one book, we will give you the first book and then choose another name (at random) for the other book.

Our aim is to notify all winners within 48 hours of the forms closing (though this may vary if the giveaway closes just before the weekend).

If you get an email to say you're getting a free book and do NOT receive the book within two weeks, please email us (contactus@mumsnet.com) and we'll chase it up with the publishers.

Thank you. Happy reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now