PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about book giveaways being offered on Mumsnet. It's not the place for promoting other book giveaways. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a book giveaway on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at contactus@mumsnet.com

Book giveaways - did you get a free book in April ?

(28 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-May-12 16:29:08

Did you receive a copy of one of the free books in April? We gave away copies of (ahem) Fifty shades of Grey by EL James, The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaug, the wonderful Heft by Liz Moore, Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell and finally Fay Ripley's What's for Dinner.

If you were lucky last month and got your hands on one of these and you've had chance to read, please do let us know what you thought on this thread.

If you haven't already, make sure you're signed up for the bookclub newsletter which is coming your way tomorrow which includes our latest list of over 200 books up for grabs, including some great fiction, a parenting book and wonderful book for your kids.

beachhutbetty Wed 06-Jun-12 08:21:39

Just looking at this thread again and it would seem that a couple of people have received 'Language of Flowers', however, I haven't received my copy yet. Is it just me or are there others waiting for this book?

NoraHelmer Wed 16-May-12 19:44:57

Aaarrrgh - I sat here waiting for the forms to go live, having promised the DC an extra 5 mins before bedtime. Then I had to go and put them to bed and missed them sad Filled the forms in anyway, just in case, but probably don't stand a chance this time.

utterlyslutterly Wed 16-May-12 19:38:25

I received Fifty Shades of Grey and The Language of Flowers - I've finished the first (terribly written but strangely moreish blush). Towards the end I did start skipping the sex every six minutes to find out more about Christian's childhood. Not sure I can bring myself to buy the 2nd in the trilogy though.

melliebobs Wed 16-May-12 19:32:59

works now

melliebobs Wed 16-May-12 19:18:30

same here alibubbles even when i'm logged on. Last month the form didn't go live for 20 mins after the start time cos they were having problems activating it or something

alibubbles Wed 16-May-12 19:12:52

Why, when one clicks on the link, does it say " This form is currently private and cannot be viewed by the public." ? so I can't apply for a free book?

sherbertfountain Wed 16-May-12 15:42:23

Was so excited I got the Fay Ripley book! It's really great, has given me lots of ideas and has gone down well with the family. Favourites so far are Perfect pea and bacon soup, & Spanish Baked beans with chicken. Looking forward to trying the rest. Really recommend it.

UnChartered Wed 16-May-12 14:30:30

i've been signed up and very rarely rec Book Club email - and still no 'Language of Flowers' am envy of yours Silver

SilverMachine Wed 16-May-12 14:21:09

I got Fifty Shades of Grey and The Language of Flowers which arrived in the post this morning, thank you MN smile

I am only a few pages into Fifty Shades of Grey but am actually quite enjoying it, although I can see why others haven't. It's not brilliantly written, it does remind me a little of a Mills and Boon novel in places, however it is oddly compelling. It's difficult not to like Anastasia and Christian Grey seems suitably intriguing, so far I'm finding it difficult to put down.

mamij Wed 16-May-12 14:18:50

I don't think I received the newsletter this month either sad

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-May-12 11:49:24

If you're signed up to receive the bookclub newsletter (and you can check your settings here) you should receive this month's newsletter at some point today. As well as all the book-ish goings on at Mumsnet, this has information about this month's book giveaways. However, the forms to apply for the free books will not be open until 7pm this evening which we hope means that everyone has a fair chance. If you've checked your settings and you are signed up and don't receive the newsletter today, do post again on this thread and we'll get our tech team to have a look.

Thanks to those who have posted up feedback on this thread- as we (keep)saying, the more feedback, the easier it is for us to get publishers to giveaway more books in the future. We're going to be posting more info about this month's giveaways on a new thread later today.

kellym2b Wed 16-May-12 11:02:41

The Fay Ripley book is fab. Even sat down with kids and let them decide what they wanted to make and surprising when they choose something you didn't expect them too!

sb6699 Wed 16-May-12 10:03:57

I am signed up but haven't received a newsletter for ages either.

Kveta Wed 16-May-12 10:03:39

I got a copy of the Fay Ripley book, which looks excellent - well laid out, and clear recipes. I like the notes on some recipes to suggest ways to make them suitable for babies or younger children, suggesting this is a real family cookbook, and not just a sleb flinging some recipes together to make some cash. Nice. I will be trying a few of the recipes when maternity leave starts! I was a bit confused by the way the chapters are arranged, as I am more used to the 'starters, mains, sides, desserts' arrangement of conventional recipe books - this was set out as days of the week, with a breakfast, mains, starters, desserts, and baking all presented per day. Aside from this, a beautiful looking cook book!

I also got a copy of 50 Shades of Grey, which I am sending to another MNetter - I tried to read it, managed the first 100 pages or so, and then lost the will to live. It is fairly painful. I would have been impressed had the book actually been published in 50 different shades of grey, as I feel that would have livened up the text. As it was, black words on off-white paper combined with the weakest set of female characters and creepiest set of male characters I've seen in a long time, made it pretty monochrome and not a book I can recommend.

thanks for the books though, I love reading new books, no matter how badly written they are, so this was a great opportunity! smile

Tikkabillajive Wed 16-May-12 09:52:44

I've checked my settings and it says I'm signed up but I don't think I've ever received the bookclub newsletter - and certainly no free books which would have been great!

countingdown Wed 16-May-12 09:24:58

I got a copy of the Fay Ripley book. Thank you so much, it is fantastic.

Whilst I haven't actually cooked much from it yet (other than the wonderful roast chicken platter) I have spent ages looking through it and planning what I will cook!

Lately I have been cooking every night for my husband and I, but had resorted mainly to feeding the children whatever was quickest/easiest. This book has given me inspiration for finding meals that I can cook for all of us.

I would definitely recommend this book for family cooking!

I haven't had a newsletter since november sad

NoraHelmer Wed 16-May-12 08:00:35

Nor me sad

birdsofshoreandsea Wed 16-May-12 07:31:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Solo Wed 16-May-12 00:46:24

Nor me!

coni336 Tue 15-May-12 23:50:33

I haven't received a newsletter either sad

WannaBeMegMarch Tue 15-May-12 22:52:29

I am signed up for the bookclub newsletter- did it come through yet as I haven't got one?

mamij Tue 15-May-12 20:46:06

I got a copy of Fay Ripley's What's for Dinner (thanks!) and have found it to be brilliant so far. The book is very well written and recipes are clear, concise and doesn't take too much time!

The photos in the book brings the recipes alive for me. I love the tips at the end of each recipe to adapt the recipe for either adults/kids. There are also great recipes when you've got nothing in the fridge and make a simple dinner from store cupboard ingredients.

To name a few dishes, DH and DD1 loves the sweet sticky chicken, show-off roast chicken platter, Italian Chicken Bake, no-meat meaty lasagne (made with lentils). Oh and the blueberry and coconut and sticky date cakes to die for too smile

A big yum yum from me.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-May-12 20:22:05

beachhutbetty

I got an email to say I'd 'won' a copy of The Language of Flowers but it still hasn't arrived. Has anyone else received their copy yet?

Oh no, sorry to hear this and thanks for letting us know - we'll be on to the publisher right away in the morning to find out what's happened and report back

melliebobs Tue 15-May-12 18:03:58

I got 50 shades of grey & heft. Just not had chance to finish them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now